Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing like a dwarf  (Read 975 times)

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing like a dwarf
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:26:51 pm »

I've always wondered how dwarves fish without a rod. Now I know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_huHb4PMc

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing like a dwarf
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »

It's called noodling.  It's illegal in a number of states in the US for some reason or other.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »

They fish with their beards dangit.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:17:32 pm »

It's called noodling.  It's illegal in a number of states in the US for some reason or other.

i'd say it's the fact that to catch a fish, you use your arm as bait.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21:35 pm »

maybe its a safety reason? i dunno, but if you're catching fish that big theres a risk that you could get dragged under if you're a bit on the small size/ on uneven footing, that and that you could get severely bitten depending on the local fish
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »

maybe its a safety reason? i dunno, but if you're catching fish that big theres a risk that you could get dragged under if you're a bit on the small size/ on uneven footing, that and that you could get severely bitten depending on the local fish

In DF, "Local Fish" = Carp. Carp = Death.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:19:20 am »

And the fact that catfish holes don't always hold catfish.

Unwittingly sticking your hand into the mouth of an alligator... probably won't end well.  ;)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:41:07 am »

Fishing like a dwarf

...and immediately I thought "What? Someone discover dynamite?"

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:18:07 am »

It's called noodling.
Where I come from, this would translate to ... letting your wang dangle in the water and hope something bites  :o

Penisbait - yikes.

Unless you try to catch mermaids  ;D

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:17:00 am »

If I remember right, it's illegal because of how unsporting/excessively effective it is. The catfish are suckers for noodling, it's really brainlessly easy.

This is apparently a very easy way for one person to catch a large number of big catfish in a short timeframe. Anything that makes it that easy for people to deplete a local fish stock is something that makes the Dept. of Fish and Game very apprehensive.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 10:45:40 am »

And that's exactly why dwarfs do that.  ;D
The elves are basically like the Dept. of Fish and Game and the dwarves are basically giving them the bird.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:23 pm »

Mwhehe. I like the idea of elven traders coming and your dwarf sitting down with the ambassador all seriously and with great gravity, then proceeding to perform every known manner of flipping an elf the bird until the elf storms off.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:35 pm »

Mwhehe. I like the idea of elven traders coming and your dwarf sitting down with the ambassador all seriously and with great gravity, then proceeding to perform every known manner of flipping an elf the bird until the elf storms off.

Flipping the bird = pulling a lever.  :D