Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MULTIPLAYER?  (Read 2978 times)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
MULTIPLAYER?
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »

is there any way to play dwarf fort multiplayer?
maybe same world or somthing.
although df is taxing on comps but they could share the load on cpu.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: MULTIPLAYER?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »

nothing here
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:11:45 pm by Phantom »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:28:38 pm »

Not without heavy coding skills.

Best alternative are bloodline games, where one player starts, plays for X time (weeks, seasons, a year, whatever), and then passes it on to the next, and so on.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:13:35 pm »

there needs to be a saftey catch in the thread creation system that prevents threads about multiplayer from being created.

also phantom, theres no need to antagonize the fellow. we've all dreamed of a multi player DF

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:24:51 pm »

Multiplayer adventure mode would work a lot better than multiplayer fortress mode.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:46:13 pm »

I play multiplayer DF. My 3 year old gets the mouse, I get the keyboard. He's not allowed to click.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »

NO DAMMIT JUST NO

What the hell are you doing? It's a frequently asked question, no doubt, but that gives you absolutely no right to respond the way you did. Either you respond politely or you don't respond at all.

I play multiplayer DF. My 3 year old gets the mouse, I get the keyboard. He's not allowed to click.

Heh heh, genius. Does he (or she) also give you suggestions about what to do? Like "Throw the goblins into the magma moat pretty pleeease?"?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »

I don't know but I think exposing a child that young to a game where people think of new ways to kill nobles and cats could cause some serious problems later in life.  Now if you'll excuse me i have to go stalk my neighbor.
Nom nom nom

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

there needs to be a saftey catch in the thread creation system that prevents threads about multiplayer from being created.

Or just a simple filter that changes the word multiplayer into... something else.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »

I can see why people ask, but really: succession game. DF is perfect for that style of play, far better than Civ style games.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:46 pm »

Heh heh, genius. Does he (or she) also give you suggestions about what to do? Like "Throw the goblins into the magma moat pretty pleeease?"?

Genius in theory... he just tries to touch the dwarves and clicks anyway constantly changing window focus.

@kilakan: Half the people on this board can't understand the ASCII graphics and you expect a 3yo to?  :D Besides, I don't play sadist style.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 01:36:47 am »

i some how expected this feedback.
i get it no but when it comes out fully (hoping before 2013 because thats when i graguat high school) a mod could be made.
i will make it my 4 year goal!

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46:49 am »

I don't think DF v1.0 will come out by 2013. 2020-2025 is more likely.

Anyhow, multiplayer DF would be a pain to do. Its basically turn-based segments played real-time with pause. For multiplayer we would need to get rid of the pause option, now try playing DF without pausing it ever. Its rather hard to balance with too hectic and too slow as the only options.
Besides that, considering the complexity of DF, making it multiplayer would be like another 10 years of work for Toady and he'd no doubt have to change a lot of gameplay to make it work.

DF is exceptionally good as a SP game, I doubt it would perform as well in MP. Look at the multiplayer Angband versions... I'd rather have more bloats in me game.

IceDragon_XxX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:58:50 pm »

Hehe, while I do agree that this game is an excellent single player game, I would like to add that the game could play decently as a multi-player co-op game.

Ever play SAVAGE? That game was an extremely good multi-player game (well, when playing with friends). One player would take over the base setup, while the other players would take orders, go collect resources, help build, attack the enemy, or just goof around.

All players would play in a first/third person view, (btw, the vision I'm having right now about this is after DF gets funded and pops into the 3 dimensional realm, no matter how unlikely it is), whereas the leader, (whom the players vote as their leader) gets a map that they can use to set the area where the digging will take place, then can designate it from the map.

When I say map, I mean it would act like how DF acts now, top down, able to highlight areas for digging and the like.

Players can choose to do whatever they wanted, chopping down wood, mining, fishing, hunting, whatever you could do in the game. If the player wanted to take a break but everyone else didn't want to, they could set themselves to a drone state and go "afk" or log out and even shut down the game, the character would turn into one of the drone dwarfs, and do various jobs/tasks.

Speaking of drone dwarfs, there would still be a couple in the beginning to help mine and farm and that kind of stuff, you would set what kind of jobs they would do and in what order.

There is other stuff to say, but nothing I'd like to add right at this moment, >.>

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 05:07:18 pm »

Since we're going far beyond the realm of likelihood (and possibility), I'll throw in a dream as well.

Have one person playing Fortress Mode as usual, and have everyone else in Adventure Mode. These other people can go out and explore the world, leading to fun times for the person playing Fortress Mode.

"Uh... so I kind of maybe started a war with the only civilization not besieging us right now."
"WHAT"
"It's a very small war."
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time
Pages: [1] 2 3