Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forge adamantine cap... from cloth?!  (Read 2093 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Forge adamantine cap... from cloth?!
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:45:36 pm »

I'm not certain if this is a bug, or not...

I have layered armor on my duo of triple-legendary champion swordsdwarves. It used to be steel plate over steel chain, with a steel chain cap. I replaced the plate with adamantine, and now was in the process of making adamantine chain armor to replace the steel (so they'd move faster, essentially).

Oddly, though, when I try to forge adamantine caps the way you'd forge chain caps at the forge, it cancels and says I need adamantine cloth to make them!

Is there simply no adamantine chain cap, or is this just a minor oversight in the reactions calling for the wrong resource? If I make the caps, will they be armor, or clothing?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Forge adamantine cap... from cloth?!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:42 pm »

Caps are armor, and you get threads from adamantine to make into cloth.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 04:10:15 pm »

Something similar happens with leather: you can make leather caps, but they're clothing items.

My guess is, if it requires adamantine cloth to make, it will likely be a clothing item and you shouldn't waste precious adamantine on it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »

above poster is wrong: they're not worthless.

All items worn by dwarves are clothing. Even armor.

"adamantine cloth" refers to the adamantine strands (from the extract adamantine strands command in the craftsdwarfs workshop) Remember that you'll need 3x as many pieces of adamantine strands to make an object than it does bars. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:20 pm »

There's a difference between the adamantine wafers that you use to make armor and weapons and the adamantine cloth you use to make clothing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »

i stand corrected.

*Snaps fingers* i remember now. adamantine cloth IS made for useless clothing.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:16 pm »

i stand corrected.

*Snaps fingers* i remember now. adamantine cloth IS made for useless clothing.

Clothing isn't useless, just not as useful. Platemail has a rating of 70/50, while a shirt has an armor rating of 3/3. As adamantine has a multiplier of 500, adamantine platemail is essentially 450/250, while an adamantine shirt is 15/15. While I wouldn't recommend equipping your dwares with adamantine shirts, this proves that adamantine caps will still be 500% better than iron caps, and roughtly 384% better than steel caps, regardless of the fact they're made from adamantine cloth and not adamantine wafers.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »

Can you melt adamantine cloth?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:55 pm »

ooh. could you give someone all-adamantine clothing as well as adamantine armour to get their armour up EVEN higher? Those guys would be seriously indestructible.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 01:50:25 pm »

ooh. could you give someone all-adamantine clothing as well as adamantine armour to get their armour up EVEN higher? Those guys would be seriously indestructible.

Theoretically yes, although the difference wouldn't be extreme, simply because you're applying the material multiplier to such low base values. Probably better to put the adamantine towards making more armor for another dwarf.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:10 pm »

You might go the extra length if you're making a suit for your adventure.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55:49 pm »

Well yes, I suppose if you wanted to. A full set of adamantine clothes would give about as much defense as a full set of copper chainmail.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:11 pm »

Well yes, I suppose if you wanted to. A full set of adamantine clothes would give about as much defense as a full set of copper chainmail.
That is, assuming you can get your worker dwarves to not abscond with your adamantine pimp-suit.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

That is, assuming you can get your worker dwarves to not abscond with your adamantine pimp-suit.

Next major version: assignable uniforms.

The elite squads could be ordered to wear adamantine clothing beneath their armor as a uniform. Epic.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:13:50 am »

Remember that adamantine non-armor clothing wears out just like regular clothing, so after a few years it will be gone for good. Save your adamantine for real armor.
Pages: [1] 2