Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Semi-mod: glass-metal  (Read 458 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Semi-mod: glass-metal
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:45:41 pm »

Hello, what i'm looking for is some help with modding reactions. I'm so so with altering and tweaking civs an creatures... and have... with limited success, added a civ once.

What i'm requesting is that there be a method to make the three kinds of glass, into a metal substitute, for a race i'm working on. I know it will be a reaction, or am most certain of it, and i'm not against genning a world. I would appriciate some help. I do have a request for the approximate strengths of the glass-metals.

Green glass being about 85% of iron

Clear glass being about the strength of iron

Crystal Glass being about 115% or a bit more, the strength of iron.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:51:49 pm by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Glass into metal
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:11:44 pm »

I have something kind of like that in Civilization Forge, although mine are all based off of Crystal glass.

Here is my reaction for Tempered Crystal. It should help you do the others pretty easily.

In matgloss_metal.txt you define the metal properties:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:CRYSTAL_TEMPERED]
[NAME:crystal][ADJ:crystal][COLOR:0:7:1]
[VALUE:5]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR]
[DAMAGE_PERC:75]
[BLOCK_PERC:75]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]

And in reactions_standard.txt you put in the actual reaction:

[REACTION:CRYSTAL_TEMPERING]
[NAME:temper crystal]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CRYSTAL:NO_SUBTYPE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CRYSTAL_TEMPERED]
[FUEL]

This one takes raw crystal glass and converts it to a bar of crystal
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:50:28 pm »

Thank you, that will be of immense help, i think.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

Okay, i have come up with my own glass-metal sets, and they seem to work on a clean install, and should be addable to modded installs. Just add thes onto the Reactions raw, and the matgloss metals raw

Reactions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and the metal matgloss:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This should be useful for anyone that has problems with metal in areas that have sand an a fuel source, but can't get enough metals. I made it to where iron is still better than the easy to make Green glass, which is just slightly stronger than bronze, and clear glass is still weaker than Iron. Steel outclasses all three glasses.