Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Dawntide, an MMO in development  (Read 32079 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawntide, an MMO in development
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2010, 03:14:52 pm »

According to someone on their forums, this game requires far more than 2GB of RAM. I don't exaclt see why, and can get a usual 30-50 FPS in towns. Fullscreen mode seems to cap at 70FPS.

For some reason, items keep getting stuck on the mouse cursor. There's also a bug, for me and at least one other person, that causes items aquired through automated means(buying, gathering) to end up in an extra-dimensional space that you cannot access(but the game knows you have them. Skinning with a skinning knife in the EDS, for example, works).

Personally, they shouldn't have made it an open beta just yet. And they really need to optimize their code.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2010, 03:21:06 am »

SO MUCH CRASHING AAAAAHHH.

Fun idea, not much code behind it ATM.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2010, 10:16:43 am »

Yeah, well, it's supposed to be an open test, now. It makes sense, for a 16-man low budget team, to just let every internetter who wants to do the job of a paid testing team for free.

Speaking of which, I found the cause and a workaround for that extra-dimensional item bug :D!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:26 am »

As long as they don't rush the release, I don't have a problem with open beta in this state, sure its unfinished... but I get to play for free. :P

I've noticed there's a lot of building going on just outside the starting area, wonder if theres a way of theiving them? Also I thought the game was full pvp everywhere? I keep finding corpses that I can't loot because I'm not in a PVP cell... kinda annoying.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2010, 08:19:36 pm »

If you go close enough to the skull and cross bones areas on the map, there's PVP- or so I'm told.

Also, how DO you handle items getting glued to your hand, Akura?

I'm Sensei/Atrus in-game.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »

If you go close enough to the skull and cross bones areas on the map, there's PVP- or so I'm told.
Wasn't it advertised as full loot pvp everywhere, or something? They better have some pvp servers, at least...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2010, 09:10:16 pm »

Wasn't it advertised as full loot pvp everywhere, or something? They better have some pvp servers, at least...
It's not done yet.

I think the playable area now is only a small fraction of what will be in, and I've heard that most of it will by PvP. But right now, they aren't going to enable free-for-alls, lest some griefer decide to screw with everyone else's trying to test the game and help the devs fix what's wrong(not that they aren't trying already). In any case, the starting areas, like the one in the beta, are supposed to be safe areas.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2010, 09:16:14 pm »

I think griefers are a necessary part of testing.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:47 am »

Joined. Does anyone from Bay12 still play this?  ???

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:53 am »

I occasionally take a poke at it. I keep falling through the world, though.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:12 am »

Yeah me too. I'm hoping they'll sort it out soon because every time i try to play I end up spending more time wandering around in limbo than actually doing anything.

It's a shame that /fixme only seems to work if you're standing in a magical spot and the moons and stars are all in allignment. ¬_¬

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »

It's SOOOO laggy  :(

Gave up after 5 mins because I kept falling through the world into the aquifer.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »

So it's now in open beta. It seems pretty awesome. Like a better version of Wurm.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »

No clue, Naxza.  I cannot even get into the game cause the client crashes.  >:(  Doesn't even load up.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »

Hmm I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but this game looks almost identical (features-wise, rather than actual appearance) to a vaporware MMO named Dawn that was being developed by a different company like 10 or 11 years ago. I still want to make my beast tamer/enchanter character that I thought up for that game... hope Dawntide stays in development and will let me tame a pack of animals of some sort to guard a village.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28