Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Food's a hassle... am I doing it wrong?  (Read 4200 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food's a hassle... am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 01:03:24 am »

How about I send you a merchant party?
I have some food I'd like to get rid of.

I always have just a little trouble with food in the beginning...
And then after a year or so, I have so much food that I don't know what to do with it.
I end up harvesting so many plants (on 1-2 farming plots, no less!) that I can't eat them faster than I'm growing them.  Further, I never have enough barrels to make any booze.

Booze riots end up taking me down...
"What?  My friend died?  Dang...  My pet drowned in magma for no apparent reason?  That sucks... Whoa, whoa, wait... WE HAVE NO BOOZE?!"
Urist McThirsty cancels fortress; murdering inhabitants.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:58 am »

Tips for food production:
1. Separate stock piles! Seeds and Drinks should get their own stockpiles, and possibly plants or prepared meals depending on your primary foodsource.
2. Stockpile management!  Remember that you can set the maximum number of barrels allowed in a stockpile, preventing the problem of having no barrels for booze. Your food rots faster when its sitting in the open, but keeping up will not be difficult.
3. Dedicated workers! While Miner/Grower is a fantastic combo on a couple of starter dwarves, remember that they aren't planting if they're busy digging.  This is especially true of your Butcher and Tanner.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 02:56:51 am »

"Just say no" to automatic fish cleaning.  That's a one way trip to miasma town.  When the fish bones and turtle shells pile up, the refuse stockpiles overflow fast, then the butchers and kitties can't get their leftovers into the dumps and you get rot everywhere.

I make all the rooms that may produce miasma outdoors, either by building them outside, surround with walls and topped with grates, or building them close to surface, punch holes in ceiling and seal with grates. Lots of micromanaging when building them, but I never have to worry about miasma other than dead bugs killed by cats.

If you are worried about flying shooters,  add a layer of trapdoors on top of that so you can temporarily seal the rooms.

Goose in a jar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 03:41:01 am »

I'm relatively inexperienced with overseeing so I just go with redundancy when it comes to food.

2 growers, of which one is a cook and one is a brewer, and one herbalist.

It is an aquifer map so the outside is flat and I don't need to irrigate. In addition I don't seem to need to fertilize so all that potash is going in the magma kilns. Now all I need to do is learn how to stop the dwarfs putting seeds in my sand bags or make the bags faster.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 05:40:32 am »

If you can get the jerks to put seeds into a barrel, you can have TONS of seeds in said barrel.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 03:26:34 pm »

"Just say no" to automatic fish cleaning.  That's a one way trip to miasma town.  When the fish bones and turtle shells pile up, the refuse stockpiles overflow fast, then the butchers and kitties can't get their leftovers into the dumps and you get rot everywhere.

I make all the rooms that may produce miasma outdoors, either by building them outside, surround with walls and topped with grates, or building them close to surface, punch holes in ceiling and seal with grates. Lots of micromanaging when building them, but I never have to worry about miasma other than dead bugs killed by cats.

If you are worried about flying shooters,  add a layer of trapdoors on top of that so you can temporarily seal the rooms.
I dont want to burst your bubble, rain on your parade or simplify the way you play the game...

but you could just floor over the workshops after you breached to the surface, stuff will still rot just the way it used to outside AND they are completely safe... only downside: if you order your dwarves inside during a siege, food production will grind to a halt. But you have that problem already.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »

I'm relatively inexperienced with overseeing so I just go with redundancy when it comes to food.

2 growers, of which one is a cook and one is a brewer, and one herbalist.

It is an aquifer map so the outside is flat and I don't need to irrigate. In addition I don't seem to need to fertilize so all that potash is going in the magma kilns. Now all I need to do is learn how to stop the dwarfs putting seeds in my sand bags or make the bags faster.
IIRC you can only have 200 seeds of one type. Means 2 bags, both in one barrel? Or was it 1 bag? Or 2 bags and no barrels?
Heck , I have to look it up on the wiki.

Either way, just designate seed stockpiles. 1 or 2 tiles each, only accepting the according seedtype. Tadaaa, effective control over your bags.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 12:25:23 am »

I have 300 plump helmet spawn.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 05:34:13 am »

I dont want to burst your bubble, rain on your parade or simplify the way you play the game...

You didn't. I know long ago that once a tile is made outside, it's forever outside. I just like to do things the overcomplicated dwarf way. :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 10:19:17 am »

This is correct. It doesn't matter how many planters you have, it matters the quality of the planter that does the harvesting. Be sure to turn off "all dwarves harvest" in

Incorrect. Harvesting gives experience, but the yield has nothing to do with who harvests and everything to do with who planted. Setting all dwarves harvest is inefficient, but can be a good idea if you're growing too much food for your growers to gather

Embark: I use the defaults because I'm lazy.

Farming: I usually have about 6-8 plots of 4x4 size, half underground and half surface. I can't always remember which crops are which, so aboveground I generally just plant the berries. I do a little local (d)esignate-(p)lant gathering in the first year to bootstrap the aboveground plots. Belowground, the first plot obviously gets plump helmets, then I usually do sweet pods and cave wheat in the next plots to get more booze variety. Obviously all the subterranean plots are set to plump helmets in the off seasons. This does require a fair amount of farm labor; I generally turn on farming for every brown-class migrant I get - soapmaker becomes farmer, lyemaker becomes farmer, milker becomes farmer, etc.

Brewing: I usually have just 1 carpenter shop, set to repeat bed/bin/barrel, which seems to be able to keep up with one still doing brew drink on repeat. I'll often keep a small food stockpile set to take only raw plants nearby, and a furniture stockpile set to keep only barrels. If the booze runs low it's usually because the brew job stopped because the barrels ran out because of a problem in the wood pipeline.

Fishing: The process-fish order does get cancelled (for lack of fish) more often than the brewing task does, but if you remember to check every season or so, it's fairly productive. My solution to the refuse problem is usually to have workshops and the main dining hall on one level, stairs down from each of those to a connecting tunnel on the next level down, and a big refuse storeroom (10x10 to start, growing as it fills up) a little ways off that tunnel, midway between the two. Short walk from the dinner table to the scrap heap, short walk from the craftdwarf's workshop to the scrap heap.

Hunting/Meat: Since immigrant hunters come with equipment, I just leave them to their task and hope for the best rather than trying to train & equip new ones. Their productivity and life expectancy is entirely dependent on what kind of local wildlife you have. I alternate training war dogs and hunting dogs, so any hunters that survive a season or two generally get a little buddy to improve their odds - (v)iew dwarf, (p)references, (e) work dogs, if you didn't know about that one. I butcher the fuck out of kittens, foals, calves, etc, and request every kind of meat from traders and buy it all, which means plenty of meat available -- not that you really need meat to run a fort.

!!!

Either you're completely swimming in food or you're starving, amirite? I've fed fortresses of 60 dwarves with a 5x5 plot growing Plump Helmets and a single grower who also managed a second 5x5 plot of pig tails and dimple cups. I one time had a dedicated hunter who stocked the fort with over 600 meat in the space of a year on a map loaded with elk and horses, as well as thousands of bone bolts and enough totems to buy out a caravan (plus a legendary marksdwarf for running off the first few ambushes). Fishing is not that lucrative in my experience, it's very easy to overfish an area and the yield is pathetic compared to any other source of food.

My guess is you were either starving because all your farmers were inexperienced or you were so drowning in food you couldn't give it all away. One or two producers is more than enough to supply a fort until the later days, and even then if you use quarry bushes or boozecooking you can manage it with two growers and an army of processors.

A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 11:04:49 am »

I have 300 plump helmet spawn.
So you either traded for the hundred extra, or you stocks arent taken accurately enough.

In case you DO have 300:
1) whoopdeedoo, big effin deal
2) no more seeds of that type will be produced during brewing / raw plant eating until you drop below 200.

Everything else I mentioned about the 200 seed limit and the stockpiling still is true.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:59 pm »

that's why you have a stockpile for bone, skulls and shells, and another stockpile for critter remains and giblets. Don't want your craftdwarves running into your miasma pile every time they go back to a -kitten skull totem-, now do you?

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 04:51:11 pm »

This is correct. It doesn't matter how many planters you have, it matters the quality of the planter that does the harvesting. Be sure to turn off "all dwarves harvest" in

Incorrect. Harvesting gives experience, but the yield has nothing to do with who harvests and everything to do with who planted. Setting all dwarves harvest is inefficient, but can be a good idea if you're growing too much food for your growers to gather

Ah. I must have misunderstood the wiki. Thanks for the correction.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 08:38:28 am »

Add this to the dwarf raws (first item in creature_standard):
Code: [Select]
[IGNITE_POINT:9001]
[SEVERONBREAKS]
It's not much, but it will help out your food problems quite a bit, without leaving you feeling like you cheated.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »

Add this to the dwarf raws (first item in creature_standard):
Code: [Select]
[IGNITE_POINT:9001]
[SEVERONBREAKS]
It's not much, but it will help out your food problems quite a bit, without leaving you feeling like you cheated.

I'm not sure how this will help with food problems but I'm sure it would be exciting.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4