Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins just won't learn!!!  (Read 1167 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Goblins just won't learn!!!
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:24:57 am »

Alright, I'm having a recurring problem with my current fort, the goblins, no matter how many losses they have ALWAYS come back the next season to get slaughtered again. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but my stockpiles are overflowing with corpses causing the butchers shop to leak miasma from the meat industry, clean up is also a problem, thier meltable iron gear is a welcome offering, but loads of useless small clothes pile up everywhere, making the map look cluttered and slightly reducing FPS.

And on top of all that it takes many of my professional dwarves away from thier jobs, to dump HUGE amounts of small goods. Also as mentioned above, the goblins return next season just to get killed again, usually right after clean up is finished...

well now down to the point, i need an easy system that can quickly destroy goblin sieges, killing them, destroying thier clothes, and saving thier armor for easy access. I'm not all that good with pumps and mechanics in general, and any attepmt to mass move magma often leads to a magma flood...
So if anyone can help with this, maybe draw me up a blueprint of some sort for this project, it would be greatly appreciated...

I have Magma, Bauxite (needs to be imported), Endless Iron/Steel, and Sand.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins just won't learn!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:29:43 am »

Just create a drawbridge right next to wear all the goblins usually die. When the slaughter is finished, designate anything you don't want to keep to be dumped (can be a bit tedious sometimes) and have a garbage zone right under the drawbridge while it's up then when it's all done, just close the drawbridge and bring it up again. That gets rid of all the waste. I don't know of anyway other than that to speed up cleaning.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:13 am »

I was hoping to make something Fancy that could be used with little micro-management and could easily be turned on and off.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:48:25 am »

Design a magma trap of some sort that lures goblins in and then incinerates them. It gets rid of all the junk, namely their clothes and the flesh on their bones, leaving only the iron and their bones.

If you want to be elegant, you can try to use flaming charcoal instead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:50:25 am »

How would one go about obtaining, and useing flaming charcoal as an effective weapon?
— Commander Fleyitch

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 05:53:40 am »

Why not just make dedicated haulers and turn off that task for your important builders and miners and such?  Also you can define your stockpile by your butcher to not accept goblin corpses.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:57:37 am »

Here, I just had an Idea:  ________
|w---w|  1 z-level lower  |wwwww|
|w---w|                       |wwwww|
|w---w|                       |XXXXXX|
|=wall
w=channel filled with water    Second diagram w=water  X=floodgate
---= 3 tile wide hall (could be shortened to one tile wide if you want)

Wait till all or most of the goblins are stuck in the hall. Have a switch that:
   1) Locks them in via floodgate.
   2) Floods the hallway.
Then, once all goblins are dead and all their stuff falls into the channels in the sides, pull a lever that opens the floodgates. Have it lead to a pit that has an Atom Smasher connected to a pressure plate. Have the plate set so that when the water is greater than 4/7, it triggers and the Atom Smasher smashes the trash. Then close the floodgates and route the water in the trash compactor room to an evaporation chamber. This would not preserve the Iron stuff but it would require little management on your part.

Edit: This should work, right?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:02:07 am by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:57 am »

My point for this thread is because Pathfinding for dumping is killing FPS, and i would like to eliminate this through some sort of MAGMA contraption that can easily kill the entire siege quickly, and remove thier junk, but i have no idea how to go about this because i'm terrible with mechanics
— Commander Fleyitch

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:19 am »

Automated retractable bridge linked to a repeater (need running water) above a magma pit.

See this topic for the repeater. Add a floodgate, linked to a lever, before the raising bridge in the repeater if you want to stop the repeater.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:16 am »

Make four max size retracting bridges in a square over an expanse of lava. Fight the goblins on top of them and forbid everything that drops. When the goblins are dead retract the bridges to drop all the goods in the lava. Once a year or when you run out of meltable stuff pour water over the lava and mine out the iron stuff. Then refill it with lava.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:32 am »

Make four max size retracting bridges in a square over an expanse of lava. Fight the goblins on top of them and forbid everything that drops. When the goblins are dead retract the bridges to drop all the goods in the lava. Once a year or when you run out of meltable stuff pour water over the lava and mine out the iron stuff. Then refill it with lava.

For this to work you'll have to channel the lava somewhere and use floodgates, but a very good idea.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:24:29 am »

I do the drawbridge trick but without the micromanaging. I mass dump the whole battlefield. But before unpausing, I then mass melt. I can't have something flagged to dump and be melted at the same time. That way, everything that's meltable gets marked as such and is no longer marked for dumping. You also have the option of going to the stocks screen to undump/forbid the corpses if you don't want those moved. Just remember to unforbid the bones once they decay if you want to keep them.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

You said you want fancy but have trouble with moving magma.  Going to be tough to combine the two.  Lots of options out there.  You could do something similar to the above mentioned drawbridge drops.  Just forbid everything first on your drawbridge battlefield, then drop it all.  Below have magma tunnel up to a FG.  Open it briefly to let in a little magma.  It will burn/melt stuff and eventually evaporate if you don't let too much in.  Then gather the metal stuff. 

For more fancy stuff, depends on if you want to fight first or want auto-kill traps.  What are you looking for?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:20:21 am »

I do the drawbridge trick but without the micromanaging. I mass dump the whole battlefield. But before unpausing, I then mass melt. I can't have something flagged to dump and be melted at the same time. That way, everything that's meltable gets marked as such and is no longer marked for dumping. You also have the option of going to the stocks screen to undump/forbid the corpses if you don't want those moved. Just remember to unforbid the bones once they decay if you want to keep them.

Win!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »

How would one go about obtaining, and useing flaming charcoal as an effective weapon?

I'm glad you asked. You need a way to ignite the charcoal, and the only way I know to reliably do that is with magma. You may be able to unreliably do it with fire imps and dragons.

Anyway, my idea involves dropping a controlled amount of magma, most likely a single 7/7 tile or less on a charcoal stockpile, and then watching goblins walk through the resulting fires.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2