Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblins just won't learn!!!  (Read 1163 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins just won't learn!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

The charcoal idea is nice, but it would be a waste of valuable chacoal/coke for my steel industry. Many of the things listed here I already do like the mass dumping/melting the battlefield. The magma pit that can be turned into obsidian is a good idea, but would take time to obtain enough bauxite to build it, and would have a massive rework on my entrance.

And to answer Shakama, I'm always just letting my dwarves fight it out with the goblins. So I'd like to switch it up for a different change of pace, so i'd like to get a better knowledge of mechanics by getting an example of someones elses work.

I had originally planned a tower entrance re-work for my entrance that could be surrounded with a curtain of magma that could be turned off/on. the problem being is that last time i worked on a large scale with magma i ended up flooding a large section of one of my previous forts, so if someone could perhaps give me some blueprints or at least tips with pumping, It would be appreciated
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 01:39:46 pm »

You know how mist generators operate?
Do that with magma over an "invader/elves only" route, with a bridge/moat path for traders.

Auto ignition for anything walking under the magma curtain, link it all through a primary on/off gear linked switch, and turn it off when you want to claim the goods, allowing the tiles of 7/7 to spread out and vanish.
For a faster-draining solution, make a path with a single line of floor down the middle, with a  grating floor to each side, made out of steel or iron (and hope they don't bring building destroyers), surrounded by walls. Underneath, a magma channel. Above, two or more iron or steel retractable bridges with bauxite mechanism links to a lever, onto which  you pump some magma. When the fighting's done (or, have bridges that raise to contain the magma and whatever else is inside the path), you pull the lever to drop the magma onto the gratings and floor, which will then drain away, destroying anything burnable. It's important to have a way to reuse or dispose of the drained magma, so you don't end up accidentally flooding the chamber.

You might also make another set of retracting iron bridges on the z-level below the path, so you could fill the path entirely, and thusly ensure anything inside the chamber gets nicely toasted.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 02:16:28 pm »

Well kalida, a simple setup is like so:

Code: [Select]
######################
BBBBBBBBBB+^BBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBB+^BBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBB+^BBBBBBBBBB
######################
B - retractable bridge
^ - pressure plate linked to bridges
+ - floor (need it so gobs have a placed to step off the plates)

over a pit is very effective.  Might need to add an extra set of bridges if they are sneaking by at a fast enough speed. 

What is in the pit is up to you.  You can have a small or big fall with stairs back to the start of the bridges and they will keep climbing out and start back over for more falling action.  You should never have a problem with the bridges getting stuck.  For added fun, add something like this at the bottom:

Code: [Select]
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
#########X############
+++++++++++++++++++++#
+++++++++++++++++++++#
+++++++++++++++++++++#
######################

M - Magma
X - Floodgate tied to the pressure plates above
+ - floor

This will let just a little magma in there at the bottom.  Enough to crisp a few and start a fire.  Put about a 4 level drop and watch the broken legged goblins try to outrun the magma.  Odds are you won't need a drain as the magma will be small enough to evaporate.  You can add a drain or bauxite floodgate for drainage as a backup.

Overall a simple enough beginner trap.  Just need 3 pressure plates, one floodgate and two or four bridges.  Only 21 mechanisms even with the magma part at the bottom.  Digging the fall is easy enough.  Just dig ramps, then remove ramps, starting from the top layer and work to bottom.  Have a stairway back to the start of the trap as mentioned above. 
Pages: 1 [2]