Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: will goblins drown?  (Read 3381 times)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: will goblins drown?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »

Yes, I've found that a handful of marksdwarves can make simple matters out of otherwise difficult problems.

If something isn't working out to your favor, adding a squad of marksdwarves can only make it better.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 05:49:28 pm »

As already said, Goblins will drown in 7/7 water, but only with a roof above their heads. I had the same problem with orcs, I locked them in in my floodable outdoor-depot and their mounts (wolfspiders...) drowned but they just kept splashing happily inside their new pool  ::)

So yes. Recruit some marksdwarves and pincushion them.

really?

cause my outdoor orc drowner worked just fine. It was just a 7/7 20 tile wide pool with a bridge over it that would drop orcs as they ran over it. They drowned fine.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 05:56:41 pm »

Did the bridge raise back up after it dropped them?
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 06:08:19 pm »

No, I imagine he rebuilt them every time.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 06:10:36 pm »

No, I imagine he rebuilt them every time.

I think what he's getting at, is that the bridge may have functioned as an unintentional roof.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »

Exactly, Thank you for clearing that up
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:02 pm »

no, the bridge doesn't drop them straight down, it throws them around a bit. So I'd have orcs scattered all over the pool, and they'd still drown.

It's a retracting bridge linked to pressure plates. I've had the bridge toss orcs to the edge of the pool to safety, 3 tiles away. I've also had it drop them right into my doorway on the same z-level as the bridges. I still can't figure that one out aside from a 20 on the saving throw.

Freki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:59 am »

How do you take away thier items?
Everyone always says 'z' then Stocks, but theres nothing ever there to take away items.

You can dump their weapons/armour from there, and dwarves will come along to strip them down.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 12:19:18 pm »

How do you take away thier items?
Everyone always says 'z' then Stocks, but theres nothing ever there to take away items.

You can dump their weapons/armour from there, and dwarves will come along to strip them down.

When i click enter on stocks...where am i supposed to go?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 12:22:32 pm »

weapons
armor
headwear
handwear
legwear
footwear

in each section, press tab to get a list of individual items, then go down marking all the Large stuff for dumping. That's orc gear. Weapons are more difficult, since there's no size listing for them.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 12:23:16 pm »

you go into stocks, then down to armour/weapons and press tab. that gives a full list and then you just dump the narrow gear. If traders are around, you can order dwarves to take the worn goblin gear to the depot.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:31 pm »

That never works but ill try again. Thanks.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:37 pm »

I think doing the stocks page is the hard way.

You can just designate the cage the orc/goblin/elf is in for dumping via d-b-d and it will flag -everything- in that spot to be dumped.  Then after designating go back and un-flag the cage (k-d) so the dwarves don't dump it too.

This will result in your dwarves stripping the caged creatures of everything and quantum-piling it all in the dump zone.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »

Yes, I've found that a handful of marksdwarves can make simple matters out of otherwise difficult problems.

If something isn't working out to your favor, adding a squad of marksdwarves can only make it better.

Tantrum spiral. That is all.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 05:18:39 am »

I think doing the stocks page is the hard way.

You can just designate the cage the orc/goblin/elf is in for dumping via d-b-d and it will flag -everything- in that spot to be dumped.  Then after designating go back and un-flag the cage (k-d) so the dwarves don't dump it too.
I build the cage (was under the impression that a cage on a Animal-type stockpile acceptign that creature would not 'pass on' a Dump select to the contents, but I might very well be wrong about that), which means that the cage, while marked, doesn't get to be Dumped.

And while I'm waiting for the contents to be dumped, I connect a lever to the cage (having built it in a place where I can confine the soon-to-be-nekkid enemy, apart from the route 'out' through weapons traps/situations of my devising).  When I'm sure there's nothing more to be dumped (have to go into the stocks menu and make sure there are no more D-marked items still, which requires a little extra analysis under Tab if if I've marked all damaged Dwarven socks/etc to be dumped as part of a damaged clothing replacement scheme, or whatavyer) and unforbidden those that were, I can pull the lever and FNU!

I actually can afford to be less thorough, given the deadliness of the exit route, but I really wish I could find out what inventory a caged creature still had on them, as well.  But I can only do that immediately after their levered-release.  At that point, it usually doesn't matter, though.

(And if I haven't un-Ded the cage, it of course is now in line to be dumped.  As are the mechanisms, if present while making the latest Dumping action.  This may or may not be what I want to do, but it's all managable.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3