Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 548168 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #555 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:20 am »

Speaking of which, you're using Dig Deeper, right? Has he fought any orcs yet?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 04, 2009, 12:47:06 am »

I KNOW THE HAMMER LOOKS LIKE A SPEAR IT'S BEEN SAID BEFORE
let's just say it's some sort of hammer shaped and designed to be used by elves.

also Shima, if you can carve something in stone that looks better than that I will eat my paint set.

You do realize that a hammer that does piercing damage would be the bane of everything alive, especially in the hands of Cacame. Imagine that thing twisting in a wound. Yikes.
Well, I don't think there's a terribly great deal of difference between a war hammer and a pick besides how sharp you get them and balance-a war hammer is supposed to ha'e a pretty small contact area e'en if it's not pointy. Could probably make the head ha'e a sharp and an unsharp end.

...Though, the way that's drawn, it looks like it does slashing damage- would need a pretty awkward swing OR one with the side of the hammer to really get a face to connect with someone.

Not that it's bad-looking. Your art is *art*, Fault.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 04, 2009, 12:49:20 am »

I KNOW THE HAMMER LOOKS LIKE A SPEAR IT'S BEEN SAID BEFORE
let's just say it's some sort of hammer shaped and designed to be used by elves.

also Shima, if you can carve something in stone that looks better than that I will eat my paint set.

You do realize that a hammer that does piercing damage would be the bane of everything alive, especially in the hands of Cacame. Imagine that thing twisting in a wound. Yikes.
Well, I don't think there's a terribly great deal of difference between a war hammer and a pick besides how sharp you get them and balance-a war hammer is supposed to ha'e a pretty small contact area e'en if it's not pointy. Could probably make the head ha'e a sharp and an unsharp end.

...Though, the way that's drawn, it looks like it does slashing damage- would need a pretty awkward swing OR one with the side of the hammer to really get a face to connect with someone.

Not that it's bad-looking. Your art is *art*, Fault.

You mean like a claw hammer?

Now I remember what your hammer reminds me of. You know the Roman Legions' Eagle? That's it. It looks like one of those huge, badass, winged statues that they carry atop the banner. Killing someone with one of those would be killing them with all the power and glory of Rome.

Or in this case, Cacame.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 04, 2009, 12:54:10 am »

yeah, that picture was kinda meant to make cacame look awesome, not practical.
I've noticed that each time I draw his hammer the sharp bit on the end gets longer and more prominent.

Maybe I should draw cacame smashing something, just for good measure.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:24 am »

I modded out orcs. I never liked the concept of orcs AND goblins existing together. They are, to me, essentially the same creature given two different names. I replaced what they are conceptually in Dig Deeper (nameless creatures who attack incessantly) with the gibberlings, though the gibberlings are smaller and faster.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 04, 2009, 01:43:49 am »

wonders if a beserking cacame can kill 40 well armed dwarves like egngun....

*Imagines cacame beserking* "Oh no the apocalyse has come...!"
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:38 am »

Actually, if we're going into distinctions, what Cacame there seems to be wielding is a maul (Which are in DF; mauls are effectively just wartime sledgehammers).  Mauls have been noted to sometimes be equipped with sharp, armor piercing spikes (The idea was, the hammer would force it to pierce any armor, thus making it, effectively, a short-range spear).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A warhammer would be more like this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HOWEVER, Cacame, being epic as he is, can probably bend the space/time fabric in order to make his hammer whatever he wants it to be.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:49 am »

I honestly always picture a "war hammer" as being a "big ass hammer". The proper war hammer is actually what I think of when someone says "war pick" or "horseman's pick".

I think big ass hammers are more dwarfy.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 04, 2009, 01:55:49 am »

I modded out orcs

Let's just say that at some point in history cacame drove all the orcs in your world to extinction.
and no one ever spoke of them again.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 04, 2009, 01:57:37 am »

I honestly always picture a "war hammer" as being a "big ass hammer". The proper war hammer is actually what I think of when someone says "war pick" or "horseman's pick".

I think big ass hammers are more dwarfy.

Well, to be fair, a warhammer would be a little large for a Dwarf.

*Rimshot*
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 04, 2009, 02:09:55 am »

Anyways, forgetting the war hammer talk for the moment, here's the first part of that story I mentioned a day or two ago.

Cacame's Quest (Part 1)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 04, 2009, 03:52:51 am »

I modded out orcs. I never liked the concept of orcs AND goblins existing together. They are, to me, essentially the same creature given two different names. I replaced what they are conceptually in Dig Deeper (nameless creatures who attack incessantly) with the gibberlings, though the gibberlings are smaller and faster.

I think Rysith based his orcs off of Warhammer (more likely Warcraft) Orcs, given their huge size, rather than Tolkien "corrupted elf" orcs.

I'm thinking of giving the humans two entity entries, actually, so that I can have culturally distinct humans. It weirds me out a bit that all the humans in the game world have the same ethos and technology levels, considering how in most fantasy settings humans are the most fickle among the races. (Of course - this is DF.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 04, 2009, 04:01:10 am »

Yeah, Rysith's Orcs are big warlike greenskins, larger and stronger than humans, but not as large and strong as Ogres.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:14 pm »

Too many greenskinned bastards, not enough Cacame.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2009, 03:11:04 pm »

I always imagined warhammers in DF as being Mauls (see Elder Scrolls for my confused interpretation). If I'm correct though, you can only hold one, so it makes sense- maybe in DF, a warhammer is meat-tenderizer-shape-free, as opposed to a maul which is a hammer with a spike on the end?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74