Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Method for Increasing FPS with Large Populations  (Read 1052 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Method for Increasing FPS with Large Populations
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »

I want a proper King, and for that I need a duke and apparantly around 140 dwarf population. I have 100 dwarves right now and already my machine is running slowly. My newest idea; CAGE THEM. If I drafted unimportant (aka unlegendary) members of the my fort and put them in a cage trap filled room and caused a minor cave-in, could I conceivably capture dozens of dwarves in cages? Would they still be happy? Could I feed them and maintain them? I'm going to be running a test on my fishermen; the fish have been fished to extinction and their non-stop partying is harming my FPS; I'll see how it goes.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: New Method for Increasing FPS with Large Populations
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »

Dwarves inside cages will die unless fed. Currently there is no way to do so.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »

I want a proper King, and for that I need a duke and apparantly around 140 dwarf population. I have 100 dwarves right now and already my machine is running slowly. My newest idea; CAGE THEM. If I drafted unimportant (aka unlegendary) members of the my fort and put them in a cage trap filled room and caused a minor cave-in, could I conceivably capture dozens of dwarves in cages? Would they still be happy? Could I feed them and maintain them? I'm going to be running a test on my fishermen; the fish have been fished to extinction and their non-stop partying is harming my FPS; I'll see how it goes.

There is nothing minor about cave-ins.  :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:16:45 pm »

Turn off weather and temperature. Also, slaughter all animals, cage them, or put them into a pin pit as a pen. These can all drastically improve framerate.

Do you have any moving liquids? If water or magma is stagnant it doesn't hurt your FPS, but if its moving, it can drastically drop your FPS.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:11 pm »

Toss half of them into a room locked by a floodgate - no hope of pathing out, and dump food and booze to them from a designated pit above.

Once you get the king, stop feeding them.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:22 pm »

I actually heard pits were bad for FPS because the dwarves try to pathfind out the pit over and over again but never are able to. Have you ever done a test with a pit? The only things I keep pitted are grizzly bears I feed the goblin prisoners too so I don't know much of the effect of a pit on pathfinding.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:17 pm »

Turn off weather and temperature. Also, slaughter all animals, cage them, or put them into a pin pit as a pen. These can all drastically improve framerate.

Do you have any moving liquids? If water or magma is stagnant it doesn't hurt your FPS, but if its moving, it can drastically drop your FPS.

I would rather play with temperature on, but I'm considering turning weather off. Does it do anything but rain?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »

I would rather play with temperature on, but I'm considering turning weather off. Does it do anything but rain?

I've only ever seen it rain, but I am not sure.

Also, you could do what I do.

Turn temp off, but then turn it on when you're doing something involving magma / fire.

For example, I leave it off until a siege comes.  Then I turn temp back on, and use a series of bridges and pumps to douse the invaders in magma.

After they're dead, I turn it back off to ramp my framerate back up :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:32:29 pm »

I actually heard pits were bad for FPS because the dwarves try to pathfind out the pit over and over again but never are able to. Have you ever done a test with a pit? The only things I keep pitted are grizzly bears I feed the goblin prisoners too so I don't know much of the effect of a pit on pathfinding.

Only if a locked door is in the way.

If you build a simple constructed wall, they use almost no FPS.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:55:27 am »

Weather has lots of interesting effects in adventure mode, such as creating fog and thunderstorms and whatnot. Really the main effect of all that is changing your visibility, though.

As far as dwarf mode goes... as far as I can tell it just makes it rain (which refills pools and cleans dwarves and not much else). It frees up a LOT of FPS if you turn it off, so I recommend everyone turn it off for lots of FPS gain for little loss.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:39 am »

I might do that then. I suppose the effect would be more pronounced in swamps, but my current game is in the mountains were it enver rains anyway.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:35 am »

Actually, snow storms happen as well, and it looks pretty.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.