Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sentient Species/Civs  (Read 1573 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sentient Species/Civs
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »

As a new DF player, I have been looking around for some new civs I can mod in (ie Orcs, Satyrs, drow etc). I look a little while and found the Drow, Satyrs, multiple Orc mods, a few "better Goblins" and a couple more.

What do you suggest to add if I'm looking to have tons of sentient civs that can siege, raid, trade with, declare war/peace, and do anything that other civs could. (thus making them as functional as the humans or elves). I think that it would be cool to trade with tons of different civs, from Orcs, to hobgoblins, to Titans, to the lowly Ratmen and everything in between. Links are helpful.

Edit: Found a really good mod by Mephansteras that included some simple civs that can trade and whatnot, mostly of the [animal]-man type.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:54:30 pm by madjoe5 »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sentient Species/Civs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »

i don't think there is a lemet to the number of civ you can have.
but some of them may die/have lots of wars in world gen.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »

i don't think there is a lemet to the number of civ you can have.
but some of them may die/have lots of wars in world gen.

I figured so, but what Im going for is a worldgen that starts with a bunch (15-20?) civs of various races, and by the time my fortress rolls around some, if not most, will have died out.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »

I currently have 16 different species civving and I've never seen one entirely wiped out in worldgen yet.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:33:51 pm »

Wow. I've got... wait. I should have 8, but I have 6. Thanks for making me check, I just modded my game to include the Grimdark dwarves mod, and something's gone wrong. To the raws!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:39:44 pm »

From someone who's done this a lot...I have some pointers.

1) If you aren't seeing all of your races, the first thing to check is the number of civs you're allowing during world gen. On a smaller world, you may not get all civs. In addition, if a civ requires a biome that isn't on your world (like tundra), they won't show up.

2) Civs CAN get wiped out during world gen. When testing the Primitive Civs mod, I frequently saw some get wiped out. Also, Elves seem to die out a lot with Civilization Forge: Unleashed. Even with 4 elven civs on a large world, all 4 will die. Poor elves. At least the High Elves fare better.

3) You will get all of the surviving civ types that don't steal items or babies trading with you (and can talk). That can get pretty crazy, but the game seems to handle it pretty well.

4) Feel free to use Civ Forge as an example for stuff. I've done a little of just about everything in there, so it's a good place to learn from.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

hmm. seems that the default entity is still dwarves (not dark dwarves) and th only two races missing are dark dwarves and deep elves, so I think something's up.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »

3) You will get all of the surviving civ types that don't steal items or babies trading with you (and can talk). That can get pretty crazy, but the game seems to handle it pretty well.

I have it set up so I have 1 babysnatching civ, 1 thieving civ, 1 wagon trading civ, and 1 pack animal trading civ each season. That allows me to have plenty of variety, while also not having things too crazy.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:02:26 pm »

How do I change what season a specific civ comes to trade/steal/etc?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:48:36 pm »

Active season tag. go check it in the raws.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:53 pm »

Oh, one last question: will the arrival of caravans from different civs require more than one trade depot or will the two races combine? (eg: a human caravan arrives at the same time as an orc caravan)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:08 pm »

They both come and when trading you pick who to trade with on a little screen when you press trade over the depot

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 04:58:51 am »

I currently have 16 different species civving and I've never seen one entirely wiped out in worldgen yet.
Nice work Chariot, may i ask you hov do you assure that they don't get wiped out? big starting population? restricted biomes? restricted ethics? some word genning parameters? (cause i am tryiong to make a mod where i need many civ's added and i have difficulties with they surviving skills ...) and once again thanks for your graphics ;)
Some others too please tell me your methods to make civ's survive for long time when the worlds are populated!
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:14 am »

Word of warning however. Just making civs have different alignments doesn't make them automatically wage war against each other. So don't expect your Orcs to be savage raiders, they most likely will be peaceful traders unless you remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag and replace it with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. That should make the civ be in a permanent state of war with all other civs. Just make sure for them to be populous or else they'll die out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:30:51 pm »

Word of warning however. Just making civs have different alignments doesn't make them automatically wage war against each other. So don't expect your Orcs to be savage raiders, they most likely will be peaceful traders unless you remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag and replace it with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. That should make the civ be in a permanent state of war with all other civs. Just make sure for them to be populous or else they'll die out.

Or just really tough. For Civilization Forge: Unleashed I set three of my formerly evil civs to [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] and the two tougher races pretty much mopped up during a 900 year test run. The Frost Giants in particular completely dominated the regions near their snowy homelands. Also, Plains-based and wetlands based civs tend to get pretty large compared to other types of civs, so keep that in mind when balancing things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2