Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes goblins so deadly during worldgen?  (Read 951 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What makes goblins so deadly during worldgen?
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:40:42 am »

After creating a couple of thousand year old worlds, it's surprising to me that goblins seem to be the most effective killers in history.

There's usually a couple of goblins that were born during the first century, but have yet to die. As a result of their occasional raid participation, they've racked up well over a hundred kills. One of my record holders was a goblin who had lived 1030 or so years and had over 500 total kills.

I've tried to make uber orcs with massive amounts of damblock and size, but they've never been as successful as vanilla goblins.

What am I doing wrong?

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What makes goblins so deadly during worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:43 am »

Are the historical uber-goblins using bows or crossbows?  At least in Fortress mode, it always seemed that the goblins brought more ranged weaponry than Rysith's orcs...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:02:24 am »

Are the historical uber-goblins using bows or crossbows?  At least in Fortress mode, it always seemed that the goblins brought more ranged weaponry than Rysith's orcs...

Bows aren't deadly in worldgen, as far as I know.

Worldgen uses very simple combat formulas, and something with the goblin's behavior allows them to live for thousands of years and chip away towards a massive kill count.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:35:45 am »

Could be the lack of a [NOFEAR] tag? Maybe at worldgen it allows them to flee if they're close to being killed, so there's a higher chance of survival for them.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:59:22 am »

goblins are only difficult in about the first year or two in your fort/town/camp/cave/village/tribe/tower/castle/keep.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:43 pm »

The reasons goblins have so many high kills is because they murder other goblins in their towns and thus accumulate massive kill numbers. Many goblins don't even go out on raids, but rack up kills because of murders (and they also sometimes murder kidnapping victims).

In worldgen, bows are definitely very powerful. You'll see a lot of 'shot and killed' for this very reason. In my creaturepack I have centaurs who primarily use bows and if I didn't carefully restrict their biomes they would immediately spread and completely destroy anyone else.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

Yes, murders of other goblins often get them Heroic names, I've found. Kind of a let-down really. Also, I believe that vanilla goblins have no MAXAGE, allowing them all the time they'd like to kill, but I could be wrong.

I also suppose it might have something to do with them often being led by a demon, though that would be a less direct impact...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:23:54 pm »

snaching helps them keep up there numbers in the long run.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:50 pm »

Yes, murders of other goblins often get them Heroic names, I've found. Kind of a let-down really. Also, I believe that vanilla goblins have no MAXAGE, allowing them all the time they'd like to kill, but I could be wrong.

I also suppose it might have something to do with them often being led by a demon, though that would be a less direct impact...

Wait, what?

Goblins are immortal?!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:45 pm »

this information that has been brought to light is most distressing...

the high council of "the tactical ramparts" will have to convene on this matter.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »

I even posted up a comment about it in a thread, about the inhumanity of slaughtering an aeons old goblin just because I could, and then beating his inexhaustibly wise friend over the head with it until he bled out.

NOW DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 08:29:27 pm »

I even posted up a comment about it in a thread, about the inhumanity of slaughtering an aeons old goblin just because I could, and then beating his inexhaustibly wise friend over the head with it until he bled out.

NOW DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

Inhumanity.

Inhumanity.

Inhumanity?!

WE. ARE. DWAAAAAAAAARVES!!!

... ahem.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Gaz-1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:47:33 pm »

I also noticed over long periods of time (~1000 years or so) that civilisations with [BABYSNATCHER] tend to consist mostly of their 'slave race'. I've had orcs die out in my worlds but their groups still function because they are full of humans or elves or other kidnapped races.