Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The shrieking queen  (Read 2548 times)

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The shrieking queen
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:54:00 am »

Went berserk in the meeting hall, where a couple of champions were drinking. Queen-parts flew every which way, and the king consort whistled like nothing happened.

So here's the questioney bit: does the king consort not take over the role of king? does the queen get replaced like my hammerers do? (where do they all COME from?)

See also, to the dwarves of aban sodel, sorry about causing the death of your queen so soon after she showed up. my b.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: The shrieking queen
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:59 am »

A dead ruler is a dead ruler, sorry to say.

Also the consort exists for only one reason: to make dwarf babies. Consorts aren't actually royals, I think, even in real life.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:03 am »

Also the consort exists for only one reason: to make dwarf babies. Consorts aren't actually royals, I think, even in real life.
In which case, instead of "Consort demands <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb", surely it should be "Noble demands <level ni!> Office; <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb, and <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb for my partner".

At the moment the consorts get unhappy about "lesser" dwafs getting too good a room, and seem to expect more or less the same rooms (all but the office) as their SO, at least for the married nobles I habitually cater for.  (Too lazy to check Wiki to ensure this is completely correct!)  And they get upset about other people's stations being over-catered for, so they must have at least some pretentions.

Not a totally serious suggestion, save that a demand of "my husband will have an armour stand in his bedroom", or even "I command you put a coffin in <random dwarfs> room" (as a present or a subtle warning?  who knows...) might be interesting.

Of course, a consort could have their own self-esteem non-issues (after all, nobles marry nobles, IRL), but every now and then you'd get a Mrs Simpson to your Urist McEdward, without the resulting abdication.

(Actually, have abdications been mentioned?  Or is 14thC politics a little too absent of "retire to [the|another] country potential in a "Noble 'til I die!" manner.)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:53:59 am »

In which case, instead of "Consort demands <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb", surely it should be "Noble demands <level ni!> Office; <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb, and <level foo> Bedroom; <level bar> Dining Room; <level baz> Tomb for my partner".

At the moment the consorts get unhappy about "lesser" dwafs getting too good a room, and seem to expect more or less the same rooms (all but the office) as their SO, at least for the married nobles I habitually cater for.  (Too lazy to check Wiki to ensure this is completely correct!)  And they get upset about other people's stations being over-catered for, so they must have at least some pretentions.

Not a totally serious suggestion, save that a demand of "my husband will have an armour stand in his bedroom", or even "I command you put a coffin in <random dwarfs> room" (as a present or a subtle warning?  who knows...) might be interesting.

Of course, a consort could have their own self-esteem non-issues (after all, nobles marry nobles, IRL), but every now and then you'd get a Mrs Simpson to your Urist McEdward, without the resulting abdication.

(Actually, have abdications been mentioned?  Or is 14thC politics a little too absent of "retire to [the|another] country potential in a "Noble 'til I die!" manner.)

Abdications? In DF? If abdication is another word for "spike trap", then yes.

You'd think the nobles would eventually realize that they have the highest turnover rate in any fort in any region ever. Typically the only "nobles" I have that survive are the appointed ones, because they're actually useful.

It would be cool if once a noble is dead, his/her corresponding consort would lose his/her profession and become a peasant/whatever their highest skill is.

So here's the questioney bit: does the king consort not take over the role of king? does the queen get replaced like my hammerers do? (where do they all COME from?)

The first hammerers were born when Armok's bloody beard hair shed onto the ground.  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:54 am »

Went berserk in the meeting hall, where a couple of champions were drinking. Queen-parts flew every which way, and the king consort whistled like nothing happened.

See also, to the dwarves of aban sodel, sorry about causing the death of your queen so soon after she showed up. my b.

Not only will you probably get another ruler (I once did not, but usually I do), but you will get another ruler's consort.  Now there will be two consorts to whine about life.  You need to make a drowning-room, and put the bereaved consort's bed in there.  Make sure you can drain the room for re-use.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:28 am »

Yeah, consorts don't mean anything.

If your consort dies, your Baron/Duke guy will be slightly upset and no new Consort will replace the magma'd one.

If your Baron/Count guy dies, a new Count/Duke guy will arrive with ANOTHER Consort. You can have many, many consorts this way.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:43 am »

You can have many, many consorts this way.
/me takes out of context for humorous effect.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:59:16 am »

Yup, and if you pretend they all become consorts of the current ruler, you can apply for a megaproject called The Dwarven Harem. Of course you'll need to ensure they're all female, and the ruler is not. And rename the ruler's profession to Sultan. Bonus points for making it all in the desert.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:02:19 am by Murphy »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:18 am »

More bonus for making all your units wield scimitars.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 01:05:02 pm »

no desert, but I can keep on killing until I get a harem. Given the nobles that run up usually, I think I'll be making a man-rem. Hey, female nobles can be just as misogynistic as blokes can (apart from the meaning of misogynistic, I can't think of the female version. Bitch is all the cames to mind.)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »

I think that would be an ambitious project, since every single member of your growing man-harem will have bizzare and incessant demands on your fortress.

It could be very difficult to sustain your fortress when the Hammerer is painting the walls with all of your craftsdwarves.

It sounds like it would make a good community/challenge fortress. "King Cog and the 40 Consorts"

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 01:17:01 pm »

Sounds good. Lets see the man-rem grow crazy and have them all fight while the Duchess is locked in her own plush room with all the alcohol and food she could want, watching them like a sort of perverted sadistic mud wrestle for the morally corrupt.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:31:50 pm »

no desert, but I can keep on killing until I get a harem. Given the nobles that run up usually, I think I'll be making a man-rem. Hey, female nobles can be just as misogynistic as blokes can (apart from the meaning of misogynistic, I can't think of the female version. Bitch is all the cames to mind.)

"Misandry" is the male-hating version, I think. Andro = male, Gyno = female. Hence the word "androgynous".

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »

Yeah, it's "misanthropic" but that kind of has the connotation of "hating people" or "perpetually unhappy" rather than "man-hating".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 02:42:06 pm »

exactly. while the term is technically correct, it has connotations making it unsuitable for the task at hand. Any other suggestions that I may have missed?
Pages: [1] 2