Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bedroom design  (Read 6416 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom design
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 03:05:27 pm »

Nope, I tested the theory, and my rooms stayed grand, no matter how many occupy the EXACT same space. The only thing that matters is whether it is shared at all or not.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:32 pm »

i am seriously suprised that nobody has mentioned the time honored stratagey of building a cage trap in the door way of a room that has a dwarf about to go beserk.

once the dwarf is in the cage he no longer needs to eat, sleep or drink. its a fantastic way to dispense with dwarves who are victm to their own moods. this way their friends and family dont get all sad that theyre dead. they can go visit their loved one at the Zoo.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 03:41:23 pm »

or as bait for your silk industry. Or as experience for your champion.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »

foot traffic makes noise that can interrupt a nice sleep if it's close enough to the bed. a bedroom layout that spans multiple z-levels would be a good idea as long as the pattern doesn't put beds over/under hallways, force dwarves to travel further than they have to, or force you to make weird little tunnels and single stairways as exits.

i personally give non-noble dwarves all their own bedroom (including military) with exactly 3 spaces (bed, chest, cabinet), then a door, then the bedroom corridor. nobles (including philosopher) get rooms as large as the space i can spare them, with designs that fit my fancy and spanning 2-3 z-levels, with open space over in-room dining and meeting areas (for a high ceiling effect). doing this sort of thing makes me wish you can smooth/engrave ceilings and have rooms span multiple z-levels.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 05:52:22 pm »

Usually my dwarves all get a 3x3 room to themselves. I have apartment complexes in the soil levels, and the rest in the stone layers. The value of the room is determined by how high or low you are in the earth. The higher, the cheaper. This is good for the dwarven economy as I have multiple classes of apartment room. Nobles usually have 5x5 rooms that are smoothed and engraved by legendaries. That way, I can put all their stuff, including chairs and tables, in the same room and most of them are content. Usually they die though so it doesn't matter.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:57 pm »

I briefly experimented with some 3d layouts for bedrooms(4 tile 'L' shape rooms like spokes around a stairway hub) but found the implementation tedious with the results being cumbersome and inefficient.  I will have to try it again, probably on my next fort through.

My more efficient results are also my most boring, single tile wide 4 tile deep rooms with simple hall access on a symmetric and square layout.

On a 2x2 map this offers more than enough space to satisfy the housing/dining/office needs of a 200+ dwarf fort including king and duke with entourage. (Warning 960x960!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:13:31 pm by PencilinHand »

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 05:40:15 am »

Thanks, I'm saving that picture to impement and improve on it.  What do you think of something more like a cross with each fourth a bedroom?  It might reduce efficiency slightly but i think it would look a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 08:44:36 am »

I build boring human style rooms. *weeps*

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:38 am »

What about dwarf condos?  Take a small hallway, build anything from 1x2 to 3x3 rooms off either side, add a staircase at the end, then move down one z-level and repeat.  The end result is an underground tower, and my towers average about 25 bedrooms each for 4 layers.  It's scalable in that I can dig deeper towers, I can make a new tower so long as I have enough room on each layer for the tower footprint, and I can design access in whatever way I please.  Here's an example of one (small) level with outside access:

Code: [Select]
########
# #XX# #
# D  D #
###  ###
# D  D #
###  ###
# D  D #
###DD###

In a way, it's my fractal bedroom design: the main hallways access the towers, the tower hallways access the bedrooms.  The staircases essentially increase hallway length by utilizing the z dimension, increasing living space without adding too much pathing cost.

I prefer it not so much for its efficiency, but because it looks less artificial and repetitive.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:51 am »

I like that condo arrangement, actually. I think I'm going to experiment with something like that in my next fortress. Try to make the fortress more decentralized to reduce travel time.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:07 am »

Try to make the fortress more decentralized to reduce travel time.

RTA: "...to reduce Time Travel".

(Don't mind me, just passing through the thread...)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »

Well you know space and time are like, the same thing man... so reducing the distance and the time is like... traveling time, maan.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 01:23:09 pm »

I normally use a varient of the living pods design, but with the four central rooms replaced with a mini dining room. 

Code: [Select]
#############
#  #  #  #  #
# D#D # D#D #
### ##### ###
# D#>   <#D #
#  #>TTc<#  #
#### cSc ####
#  # cTT #  #
# D#     #D #
### ##### ###
# D#D # D#D #
#  #  #  #  #
#############

T = table
c = chair
S = statue or some other "nice thing" (e.g. caged animal)
> = up stairs
< = down stairs

one of the rooms is a mini food store, the rest are bedrooms with a chest and cabinet.

This is probably not the most space efficient design, but it is elegant, and helps ensure that I have a decent ratio of dining tables to dwarves (I have a main dining room and food store as well).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »

Well you know space and time are like, the same thing man... so reducing the distance and the time is like... traveling time, maan.
Oh, bugger. Who let the philosopher in? ::)

I swear, by Armok, they're only good for pointing and laughing at for the peasants...
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 02:56:06 pm »

I too use a variation on the pods.  My forts are pop-capped smaller, so 44 rooms at a pop is a good number, esp at only 15x15 tiles total. 

I reduce the footprint of the inner rooms in the upper and lower levels and put a waterfall down the center to the main lobby - any dwarf that goes to sleep or wakes up gets a happy misty thought.

I briefly experimented with some 3d layouts for bedrooms(4 tile 'L' shape rooms like spokes around a stairway hub)

Can't designate rooms across z-levels, so multiple levels are different rooms, by definition.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4