Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bedroom design  (Read 6415 times)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom design
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 04:36:20 am »

Well, people and dwarves alike could live with a military-style barracks with just rows of bunks and foot lockers with no privacy. Thats not too bad as long as its quiet.

A bedroom that doubles as a hallway? Nobody would like sleeping in a high-traffic hallway. Even street people find a nice quiet doorway or alley to crash out at.

I think it might be difficult to sleep with people coming in and out. How about opening or closing doors or dwarves carrying something heavy creates noise and unhappy thoughts? An unencumbered dwarf could be silent enough to not bother a sleeping dwarf, but a dwarf grunting because he's hauling a bin full of granite blocks might not be so quiet?

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:09 am »

Maybe that's a valid point. 

But then, I'm planning to roof over the entire valley (with clear glass no less!) and use "open-air" wall-less rooms for everything.  No privacy for anyone then.  =P

Yes, living "aboveground" is undwarfy, I know.  But does it count if the "aboveground" is really inside a giant arcology?
##################################################

^That is a good suggestion.  Making open/closing doors cause noise. (think about it, a dwarf can't possibly be disturbed by his own door)  Something like 2 squares of noise maybe. 

And making a separate thought for "Disturbed by noisy neighbour lately" when their sleep gets disturbed by another room's door.  =)

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 04:48:04 am »

^That is a good suggestion.  Making open/closing doors cause noise. (think about it, a dwarf can't possibly be disturbed by his own door)  Something like 2 squares of noise maybe. 

And making a separate thought for "Disturbed by noisy neighbour lately" when their sleep gets disturbed by another room's door.  =)

I rarely, if ever, build doors for the non-noble dwarf bedrooms. The little blighters don't seem to mind too much. At least, I've never had any complaints about that   ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:13 am »

I rarely, if ever, build doors for the non-noble dwarf bedrooms. The little blighters don't seem to mind too much. At least, I've never had any complaints about that   ;)

Doors are good for locking crazy dwarves away and letting them starve. (Or locking the door on dwarves with nerve injuries who will be useless for the rest of their lives, so noone feeds them)

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 04:52:51 am »

I think it might work, so long as noise gets fixed to not go up and down Z-levels so much. Even with human construction with thin floors in apartments, you never hear people open or close their doors a floor up unless its the SWAT team.

I think its survival-instinct stuff that makes it hard to ignore people walking by you when you sleep.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 07:58:50 am »

Doors are good for locking crazy dwarves away and letting them starve. (Or locking the door on dwarves with nerve injuries who will be useless for the rest of their lives, so noone feeds them)

I agree  ;D Though a dwarf going crazy mostly means I've got war dogs assigned to him (I do that if it looks like a mood is going to fail, and that's the main reason for insanity in my fortresses), so he doesn't last that long. :D

The nerve injuries dwarves are good for the Dwarven Retirement Home Fortress Guard, of course!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 08:07:13 am »

Yeah, assigning wardogs to soon-to-go-batshit-insane dwarves is the best policy.

I still like to carve Fortifications into workshop walls so I can lock them in and execute them with marksdwarves if my wardog population has been recently depleted.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 08:10:22 am »

I rarely, if ever, build doors for the non-noble dwarf bedrooms. The little blighters don't seem to mind too much. At least, I've never had any complaints about that   ;)

By the latter stages of a fort (I don't turn off economy) I usually have a barracks with about sixty beds in it for the poor (and also the soldiers).

Of course I make up for it with +Platinum Statue+ and masterful engravings all over the place.

Sometimes it doesn't work, and someone goes berserk, but normally there's a champion within arm's reach to tear them to shreds.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:56 am »

As soon as someone stops working on an artifact an it seems to me like I absolutely can not get them the item they need, I build walls around them. If I find the item before it's too late, I can still deconstruct the wall and they're free to go.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 01:35:46 pm »

Maybe it should be based on one of the personality traits. If they've got : "does not like company" then privacy would be important. If they like people then they'll be fine with people wondering through.

It would be incredibly tedious having to check their preferences every time you build a bedroom.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 01:53:39 pm »

Yeah, it would be, which is why it would just serve to make some dwarves walk around more pissed off then everyone else. Like only making plump helmets and dwarven wine and nothing else won't bother most dwarves but some dorfs will go postal on the rest because they absolutely *hate* dwarven wine.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 01:58:45 pm »

Yep. If you don't want to check which dwarves like what, then it won't really matter, but you may get a slightly larger tantrum spiral than usual.

When my dwarves are about to go postal I just let them run free. Hey, what's one more dwarf kill for Ingish Tombchance, recruit killer? I think her first accidental smashing into a wall and shattering them into a billion pieces still haunts her at night.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 02:04:18 pm »

I don't bother with bedrooms for labororers, I give them a few communal dining rooms, barracks(they like to share with the millitary dwarves) booze, and that keeps em' happy. For nobles I give them  massive bedrooms in mined out layers+ smoothed floors and nick-nacks, they don't mind the landscape.
Hello Hunam

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »

mwhehe. All my dwarves live in grand bedrooms because I changed all the beds in my barracks to be single, own-able beds stretching out as far as they can. Since they only drop in value once (taking them from royal to grand), I can have a barracks where everyone is uber happy and have their own beds. When the economy kicks in I'll have a ton of 3x2 rooms for the peasantry to live in, while nobles/legends sleep in the grand bedding hall.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 03:03:07 pm »

mwhehe. All my dwarves live in grand bedrooms because I changed all the beds in my barracks to be single, own-able beds stretching out as far as they can. Since they only drop in value once (taking them from royal to grand), I can have a barracks where everyone is uber happy and have their own beds. When the economy kicks in I'll have a ton of 3x2 rooms for the peasantry to live in, while nobles/legends sleep in the grand bedding hall.

I thought the value drop was multiplied by the number of overlapping rooms.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4