Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bedroom design  (Read 6422 times)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bedroom design
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:11 pm »

I've been reading the bedroom design thread to look for tips on efficiency and it strikes me as a bit too complicated. 

Wouldn't something like this work?
D###D
# #
# B #
# #
D###D

# - Wall
D - Door
B - Bed

And then tessellated?

You could just replace a door (D) with a staircase everywhere you feel it needs one and it seems the dwarfs don't mind strangers walking through their bedrooms. 

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom design
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:35 am »

How would that design be space efficient?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:11:51 am »

Really, you could just make one huge room and fill it in an evenly distributed grid of beds.

It's all about a choice between Aesthetics and Function.

Fractal shapes provide a compromise.

But one thing I have seen no one attempt yet, is using the 3 dimensions for an effective design.
I was thinking of making a one single large hall, then with stairs up and down in a grid going to 3x3 bedrooms in the lower and upper layers, I personally think that would serve great for creating a huge empty meeting hall and direct access to their bedrooms.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:16:39 am »

How would that design be space efficient?
Say... No corridors?  Since the dwarves can use each other's rooms as corridors allows you to simply use a honeycomb like structure.  Even a 3D block of stacked rooms works very nicely. 

Plus the average distance each dwarf takes to get out of the bedroom block is the shortest path to the edge of the block. 

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:06:02 am »

Would you like it if someone was walking through your room all the time?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:06:59 am »

Dwarves mind not. As long as the bedrooms are good enough.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:08:59 am »

Say... No corridors?  Since the dwarves can use each other's rooms as corridors allows you to simply use a honeycomb like structure.  Even a 3D block of stacked rooms works very nicely. 

Plus the average distance each dwarf takes to get out of the bedroom block is the shortest path to the edge of the block. 

There would be no corridors but there is also a limit to how far down you can go. It might also get very very clogged in those stairways due to everyone trying to go up and down them at the same time (as you know, dwarfs work in shifts).
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:14:39 am »

I found that you don't even need to give bedrooms to dwarves if you enable the hunting labor for all of them and give them a nice nice communal dining room or something else to compensate. Hunters never sleep in beds and simply go to sleep wherever they are standing at the moment they get tired. The "slept on the floor lately" doesn't have a big negetive impact. Smoothing out the floors makes it even nicer for your bedless dwarves.

Just need bedrooms for dwarves that require them and some beds for the wounded.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 03:21:51 am »

I found that you don't even need to give bedrooms to dwarves if you enable the hunting labor for all of them and give them a nice nice communal dining room or something else to compensate. Hunters never sleep in beds and simply go to sleep wherever they are standing at the moment they get tired. The "slept on the floor lately" doesn't have a big negetive impact. Smoothing out the floors makes it even nicer for your bedless dwarves.

Just need bedrooms for dwarves that require them and some beds for the wounded.

Any of the dwarves will sleep on the floor if no beds are available, no matter what labors they have enabled.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 03:25:38 am »

Normal "homeless" dwarves will sleep on unassigned beds and on the floor of the barracks.

Huntering dwarves will sleep on the floor even if you assign them a bedroom or have empty cots in the barracks or infirmary. The plus to this is that they carry weapons and wear armor and makes assigning them rooms redundant because they never go in them anyways.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 03:31:28 am »

To be honest I normally have enough space to the point where I don't care- 200 dwarves? Nothing. Not that I ever get that much.

Here's what I use-

# # # # #
 # T       #
 #C        #
 #        B#
 #          #
 D          #
 # # # # #

T = Table
C = Chair
B = Bed
D = Door
# = Wall

I find that engraved and such it makes dwarves happy, space efficent? Eh, it's ok for me.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:36:32 am »

5x5 bedrooms? Thats pretty considerable. I try to keep my fortress a little more compact to limit the amount of traveling they have to do.

I like making 3x3 bedrooms, turning off the economy and packing each dorf's room with furniture. It gives something for my mason to do and turns all that stone into something somewhat useful.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:07 am »

Dwarves mind not. As long as the bedrooms are good enough.

I'd consider it a glitch or exploit. Valuing privacy is something that should be a feature, but isn't yet due to technical limitations. This game is in alpha, after all. I imagine them not liking it, so I avoid it beyond the first couple years where it's a necessity.

In every fiction I'm aware of, dwarves are somewhat reserved and secretive about their personal lives. They're not exhibitionists.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:26:50 am »

Maybe it should be based on one of the personality traits. If they've got : "does not like company" then privacy would be important. If they like people then they'll be fine with people wondering through.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:40 am »

Maybe it should be based on one of the personality traits. If they've got : "does not like company" then privacy would be important. If they like people then they'll be fine with people wondering through.

But will they when spore breeding gets turned off?

Now you see the point of privacy!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4