Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bigger Forts  (Read 1735 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger Forts
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:03:40 am »

Set your population to a low cap in the init and raise it when you need more dwarves.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 12:38:32 pm »

You sound like me...soon as the larger amount of dwarves start to rush in, I get fed up...Though mostly because i dont like constantly reassigning a flock of new recruits.

Try playing on this map - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=551
Im playing a game there now..Its a touch annoying to be stuck with seven dwarves, but work is progressing smoothly for my fort, and Im quite enjoying the game..Figure you might to, since You wont get any new worker dwarves for a minimum of 12-14 years-ish

Cant wait till i get a few more and can setup a bunch of masons..I got what will hopefully be a megaproject on the mind..

Ohh... that does sound interesting... Since there are no other dwarves, I'm guessing no caravans from them? B?e interesting to make everything yourself...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »

I like no-immigrant fortresses. You still get trade, but you are so labor impaired that trade becomes a lot more strategic.

You can do any world, just set your pop cap at 5. You might still get a few lone immigrants right in the beginning (I usually end up with 10 or 12 by the time the stragglers are done). I set my child cap no higher than 100% and lower it as the population grows. Having 40 kids running around is a real hassle, IMO. Great for tearing things down, but they tend to run into ambushes like mad and get in the way of construction.

If you really want a challenge, add in the orc mod and you'll have to fend off orcs within your first year or so, with only those starting dwarves. Getting defenses up quickly, making enough trade goods, and peeling off 10% or 20% of your population (1-2 dwarves) for a military really makes you work hard. A few injuries can really cripple an early fort, so you have to be extremely careful.

You'll get a good 15 years in before those first kids become productive, but with such a low population, time really moves by. My Westlash fortress in my sig is no-immigrant and is right around when the 3rd generation will mature into laborers.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 12:30:07 am »

You sound like me...soon as the larger amount of dwarves start to rush in, I get fed up...Though mostly because i dont like constantly reassigning a flock of new recruits.

Try playing on this map - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=551
Im playing a game there now..Its a touch annoying to be stuck with seven dwarves, but work is progressing smoothly for my fort, and Im quite enjoying the game..Figure you might to, since You wont get any new worker dwarves for a minimum of 12-14 years-ish

Cant wait till i get a few more and can setup a bunch of masons..I got what will hopefully be a megaproject on the mind..

Ohh... that does sound interesting... Since there are no other dwarves, I'm guessing no caravans from them? B?e interesting to make everything yourself...

Elf Caravans and Human caravans, That is IT. No Dwarves or Goblin sieges *The Elves wiped both of em off the map...If you setup in a wooded area, your biggest concern is the elves themselves, as I havent looked, but I dont DOUBT after their long and bloody war that they have Squadrens of Champions or what not*
Pages: 1 [2]