Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: prepared food - stack size  (Read 975 times)

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
prepared food - stack size
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

little thing, something I noticed while playing.  Prepared food often comes out in stacks bigger then ten, meaning it gets left out instead of being stuck in a barrel.  is there a way to divide stacks to make them fit?

and combining stacks would be nice too.  I have alot of bins with ten listings of (steel arrow)x1

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: prepared food - stack size
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:21 pm »

little thing, something I noticed while playing.  Prepared food often comes out in stacks bigger then ten, meaning it gets left out instead of being stuck in a barrel.  is there a way to divide stacks to make them fit?

and combining stacks would be nice too.  I have alot of bins with ten listings of (steel arrow)x1

Prepared Food

To answer your question - no you cannot split the stack.

You are correct, as a result of the cooking process prepared food can be greater than stacks of 10.  This is considered a good thing.  The point of storing food in a barrel is to ensure the food is preserved.  By placing the large stack prepared food in a food stockpile, the same effect (preservation) is obtained.  This allows you to store more food per area of the stockpile, and can free up barrels for booze production (also a good thing).  There are some concerns re: vermin and walking over the food not in barrels eventually destroying the food (though I'm not sure what the actual answer is off top of my head).  Large stacks also help if you are trading your prepared food (one haul trip for a 20 stack, rather than 2 haul trips for two barrels of 10 each).

Combining stacks
Currently cannot be done.  There are requests for stacking to be integrated into future releases to deal with this type of problem.  Main restriction is currently the differing quality of your 1 stacks e.g. 1 masterwork steel bolt, 1 no quality bolt cannot be 'stacked' since what quality stack do they form?  Best suggestion I've seen on this is remove quality on items we can command to be stacked e.g. ammo.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:27:42 pm »

There are some concerns re: vermin and walking over the food not in barrels eventually destroying the food (though I'm not sure what the actual answer is off top of my head).

I believe it's been confirmed that both vermin and trampling will eventually spoil food, though the time it takes for either one of those to destroy prepared food is so long odds are you will have sold or eaten the food long before any real damage is sustained. Setting low traffic areas over your prepared food stockpiles and keeping a cat or two on hand can reduce the already low wear on your food, if you're paranoid.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:08:27 pm »

Tramping or food being eaten by pests is an extremely minor concern. You will probably not even notice it unless you're looking for it specifically.

In a mature fortress, I deal with prepared food by the 1,000's. If a lizard eats one, I won't notice it.