Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d11] Can't Load Region  (Read 708 times)

Punkhead58

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d11] Can't Load Region
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:07:28 pm »

Recently when playing I tried to load my fortress in the main menu and received one of Microsoft's cheesy error messages saying that "Dwarf Fortress had encountered an error and had to close." After restarting my computer numerous times and restoring the hard drive many times alike, I found it was constantly encountering the same error over and over again. My fortress had grown to a fairly large size of about 120 dwarfs and I was expecting to loose it to an in-game catastrophe, not to a computer error. Is there something I can do to save my fortress?

Shortly before this started happening, my computer started crashing about 20 minutes after I turn it on; a problem that has been going on/off for a while and has subsisted through two full system restores. I don't known if this has anything to do with my problem, but here are my specs:

MY COMPUTER: HP Pavilion a747c Desktop

- Windows XP Service Pack 2   

- Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz Processor

- 512 MB of Memory

- 160 GB Hard Drive

- Intel 915G Graphics Chipset

- 300 Watts Power Supply

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] Can't Load Region
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:57:49 am »

if it's just that one save and other fortresses work fine, then the save is probably kaput.  Sorry.  If it happens with every fortress, you can try redownloading and reinstalling the game to a new location and then moving your save folder (it'll be called "region1" or something in /data/saves).

Punkhead58

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:44:51 pm »

Ya, that's what I thought. Thanks man.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:57:29 pm »

It sounds like you're having unrelated hardware or software problems. One of these problems probably corrupted the save.

Punkhead58

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:54:29 pm »

I appreciate your help guys, I've started a new fortress and it works fine.