Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortresses Best Soldier  (Read 2361 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses Best Soldier
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 09:30:44 pm »

You could have put him on a wood floor floating down the river

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 09:31:57 pm »

I kind of did. The "accident" mentioned earlier was a flooded fortress.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:57 pm »

When I do it, I do a three volley salute

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 12:20:47 am »

Mine was random conscript with (what I thought to be) no way out. Apparently, I was wrong. I didnt expect my legendary miner to survive.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 02:02:04 am »

In one fort I had a speardwarf that killed two hundred mountain goats. (Including the skeleton ones.)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 02:21:41 am »

By unexpected, I meant people you thought were gonna die but survived through the ambush/siege

Well... the husband of the dwarf I posted above was surprisingly alive when I killed a goblin local leader.

Because I didn't want my mostly female champion squad dragging babies into battle and getting them shot out of their arms, I decided to remove the source of the problem. Most of the husbands of the champions were in professions I had no use for (dyer, extra stone/wood/bonecrafters besides my legendaries). So I drafted them into a fifteen-dwarf cannon fodder squad to get rid of them and get some use out of them at the same time (draw crossbow fire while my champions close in). I got hit by a siege shortly after that so I sent then against the Hammer Lord's group (which was mostly swordsgoblins) fully expecting them to get slaughtered. Lo and behold when I checked them over: the Hammer Lord was being stomped on by the five surviving husbands.

They get a collective "best" from me because I sent them out against better soldiers with the intention of getting rid of them but they won through!  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

From a community military fortress, a named dwarf by Snoopicus. 

I knew he was a well trained wrestler, but he took out two goblin ambush squads, the second of which cut off his hand.  A third popped up and he single handedly (haha) beat the crap out of them.  He was making his way back to the fort to rest when a fourth goblin squad of crossbowgoblins popped up and pin-cushioned him four or five times.  He finally gave in after that.

Secondarily, another dwarf whose name I forgot wandered around outside while the rest of the fortress tore itself apart from a tantrum spiral (its massively dangerous when every dwarf has high wrestling and weapon skills; and are fairly friendly).  Another three goblin squads came out of ambush, this swordsdwarf killed the first two squads with what seemed like one slice each, sending entire halves of goblins every which way.  The third squad ganged up on him, so he only managed to propel a couple away and cut one in half before they started fleeing.  As he neared the edge of the map chasing them a siege dropped in, two squads on beak dogs lead by an elite crossbowgoblin.  He proceeded to cut the crossbowgoblin's arm and leg off, that beak dog's tail and back legs off, and blendered the rest of the force without sustaining anything short of a light grey wound.

He then walked through the fortress, whose walls were splattered with blood and gore from the spiral, avoided any of the fighting, got a drink and went to bed.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 05:18:59 pm »

My most unexpected hero was not very epic (nor a dwarf).

Early in the game (before the first immigrant wave), my brewer/butcher succumbed to a strange mood and captured my butchery. He was looking for a shell, leather and i think iron..., none of which I had. Next, to stop him from doing anything too harmful, I began to wall off the butchery because I knew there was no way to realistically get the items. As I was doing so, He went loose and went upstairs to my room with stockpiles and 5 or so restrained cows. He runs in and kills the first four fairly quickly, without any notable injury. As he approaches the next one, the cow delivers a hellish blow, severing one of his legs. He lays there unconscious as my cow slowly beats his body till he dies.

The most epic cow I have ever come across

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

He then walked through the fortress, whose walls were splattered with blood and gore from the spiral, avoided any of the fighting, got a drink and went to bed.
This is the epitome of dwarfiness. Wait; scratch that. It would have been, if a cat had been involved. Ah, well. :P
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Tartauris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 07:25:33 pm »

My most unexpected heroes was probably Muthkat Shipcontest and his friend Tholtig Cattlesqueezed.  Two novice soldiers in one of my newly formed crossbow squads that was supposed to be guarding the central tower of my maze of doom...Unfortunately I hadn't built any traps yet so the goblin siege waltzed right through the maze.  They drew closer and closer so i sent all the soldiers i had.  Three of my four squads were eating/sleeping and only Muthkat and Tholtig made it to the tower and stood right outside the one door leading into the tower and down into the fort.  I leave them there fully expecting them to be slaughtered by the 30-something goblins and go to wake up the others.  It's right then that I see "Muthkat has entered a martial trance!" and "Tholtig has entered a martial trance!"  OK I thought, whatever, they're still going to die.  The two slaughtered every last goblin that came through the tower door and got long names for it too.

Muthkat is now Muthkat Shipcontest the Drenched Illness of Affection
and Tholtig is now Tholtig Cattlesqueezed the Legend of Tempests.

When I went to check for wounds they had none.  Both were crossbowdwarves, wearing iron chainmail, with NO bolts, slaugtering an entire siege by bashing them with their crossbows as they came in the room.  The rest of the 4 man squad came after the carnage to finish off the survivors which got another dwarf a long name.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 06:50:32 pm »

These are the kinds of stories which make you go: "damn. This game is amazing."
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »

ceril mcwhateverhislastname was

he threw a tantrum, went to my lever room, and started dropping my magma bombs...right on top of a goblin siege, 2 ambush's and he managed to stop a river

(imagine a world where the magma is channeled 13 z levels into the air, covers the entire map and has hatch's that drops the magma on certain areas... yeah, 40 years and a corrupted save file >.<)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »

My best soldier was on my newest fort (the others failed horribly) he was out hunting when a goblin ambush appeared with 4 marksmen and a spearmen (or spear goblin) he killed the all with no armor on and only 20 basic bone bolts and on his way back (with no injuries) he got jumped again this time by 2 swords goblins a wrestler and 2 more marksmen. He proceeded to kill the wrestler while the rest butchered his dog which gave him enough bad thoughts to go beserk at which point he ripped the rest to sreads (having dropped his crossbow due to a minor wound) the slughter gave him another goods thought so he left beserk and was almost at the base when another ambush came.  they were right beside my moat and both his arms were broken.  So seeing his only chance he knocked them all (5 more) into the moat.  they drowend and he healed. he is my best marksmen.  Later when the first siege came the unlucky bastard was hunting again and he was right in the middle of the siege. I tried to count his kills but i lost count when he went martial and bashed about 5 through the air to thier deaths. He survived but on they way back he doged a bolt and ended up in the moat. I thought he was dead but he was tough enough he learned to swim before drowning lucky him.  ;D
Nom nom nom

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 07:01:29 am »

Is he still in the moat right now? If so, you should keep him there as like your own moat-carp to fend away sieges.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

in the dwarf heaven map, i had a miner kill 40 ratmen lurking in one of the crevices. he was wounded all over, and still kept chopping, even through a number of trogs there as well. he eventually died

of thirst.

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3