Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fortresses Best Soldier  (Read 2357 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Fortresses Best Soldier
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:50:12 pm »

My best soldier was a crossbowman, that single handedly took down 2 ambushes, first he was about to practice shooting, the other was when an ambush was busy slaughtering a family of dogs, he fired bolts like a vulcan machine gun, then proceded to bash the ambush into gore.
What was your fortresses unexpected hero?
Heroes                   Tyrants
Ignish Tombchance            Goden Delertomn
Random Guard                  Some camel
Random Miner
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:54:35 pm by Phantom »

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: Fortresses Best Soldier
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:12:58 pm »

Goden Delertomn, champion wrestler/novice hammerdwarf, took down an entire seige of 3 goblin squads singlehandedly, then goes and kills every last human man woman and child in 3 obsidian towers. 40 kills in  a 5 minute period.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:14:46 pm »

I consider that a genocider.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:15:19 pm »

Ingish Tombchance. Mother of three (her husband is a champion, her eldest daughter is the mayor). She was wounded while sparring and lay in bed for half a year. When she got up, she got a drink, was just wiping the froth away when a goblin ambush kills a tame lizard outside my fort. She storms out, discovers another ambush, kills all 6 of them while being fired on from a hill and continues to kill the last ambush team with her 27 squadmates. She almost makes them seem unnecessary.

Incidentally, she threw a goblin so hard that he exploded into 7 pieces, one of them was found on the other side of my wall.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

That I consider a hero.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »

Dragon shows up, torches all my military, then a random Fortress Guard, dabbling crossbowdwarf one shots it. She now has a tomb that the Duke is envious of.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:51:48 pm »

Unexpected best solider? Oh, nevermind.

Actually, in the Westlash fortress, inside of the first year one of my female miners while carving out the west wall singlehandedly wiped out a gobbo ambush squad without injury. Several years later, an elf camel went berzerk, killed two gobbo ambush squads, then killed all of the elves. I mean, how heroic is that?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

Westlash? Sounds like some kind of old western movie or indiana jones thing.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 07:32:42 pm »

Elves didnt like me cutting down their trees, so they sent a 30 elf ambush to stop me. My only two soldiers (i had 20 dwarves at this time, the only 2 soldiers were champions...), had chosen this time to sleep when said elves appeared. I sent my legendary miner to await them in the halls, hold them off for as long as possible. I had forgotten that legendary miner = dwarf champion. The dwarf single handedly kills 27 elves before they break and run.

My miner picked up a full name (all 10 words of it) from the elven raid. However, she was a "sweetheart" and cried to my leader because the elves had apparently slain her pet kitten on their way in, the kitten that triggered the whole ambush. They got what they deserved.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:23 pm »

I had Datan Palacehawks the Virginal Angel, Hammerdwarf. She was my only non-legendary soldier (because of a spinal injury) but when she finally got crossbowed to death by the Goblin King (the bastard got away, too) she had 26 total kills. Not bad for a proficient hammerdwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nowhere near what my champions ended up with, but still not bad.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:42:34 pm »

Oh, this would easily be "Foebane" Oslanag Uzolkobem, or "Foebane Winddaub the Oily Troubles" as mere humans know him. His original first name was Endok.

The most bad-ass dwarf, much less soldier, I've ever had in any fortress. He came with the first wave of immigrants and served for a very brief time as a farmer before goblin troubles necessitated a larger military. His first kill was two years later when he struck down a babysnatcher and saved some dumb kid. Later on, one of the founders, a weaponsmith, was taken by a fey mood and produced Barbfamous the Hardiness of Grasps, an iron battle-axe which had a picture of Endok's slaying of the goblin. It was immediately given to Endok.

Later on, in a great goblin incursion which we weren' prepared for, Endok's lover was killed along with many others. In the ensuing tantrum spiral Endok had to put down quite a few berserk dwarves, being one of the only soldiers who were still hale and hearty. The death of his lover made him grim, and after that point he really cared for nothing but slaughter.

And slaughter, and slaughter, and slaughter some more was what he did to keep his mind of the emptiness of his life. To cut this lengthy story shorter (sorry) he ended up with an artifact shield as well (though not one depicting his exploits) and is, in the 60th year of the fortress, currently a living legend with 349 kills to his name, including all the races - goblins, kobolds, humans, elves, even a dragon. These are all legit military kills, no arena bouts or anything of that sort.

I may have to write up this guy's history in better form... EDIT: too bad his heroically-earned name sounds like a dwarven STD.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:36 pm »

too bad his heroically-earned name sounds like a dwarven STD.

Yes, too bad indeed.
My hero would have to be one "Lord GimpyPants", so named for his.... injuries. His first injury was recieved after he was going around patrol of the Trade Depot while the Lunast Dwarves traded with me. He found an ambush, then his pet cat found the other one right next to him. He single-handedly faught and killed both squads of 7-8 each with just a spear, a buckler, and some leather armor. Both his legs were mangled. He recieved his next set of injuries 5 years later, 2 months after he recovered. He was patrolling with his squad while I was sending civilians outside on a building mission. The rest of his squad was eating and the civilians found 5 ambushes of 10+ gobbos each, some even had dwarves stolen in worldgen. He faught and killed 4 of the squads (he had chain mail and an iron shield at this time though), before having his back crushed by a hammer. Just at that time my legendary maceman came and killed the rest in 2.3 seconds. His lower spine and right leg were broken. 7 years after that, a similar situation happened, he killed all 3 ambushes but both his feet broke. Things like this continued on until a... uhm.... "accident" happened to the fortress. But the moral of the story is, Lord GimpyPants was a destroyer of worlds.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »

My favorite team was a four dwarf squad, each of them legendary in their respective disciplines. Their commander was as hard as they come, covered in scars from repeated engagements with goblins, whose left eye had been lost when a goblin elite crossbowman shot him in the head early in his career. He earned his place as commander when, after receiving this wound, he proceeded to charge the enemy, strike down his attacker, then slaughter them to the last man, whilst the bolt which had claimed his eye was still sticking out of his head!

This four man team were equipped in masterwork steel, each wielding a masterwork obsidian short sword.

I called them the Black Guard.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »

By unexpected, I meant people you thought were gonna die but survived through the ambush/siege

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »

I never expect Lord GimpyPants to ever survive. He was never legendary at all during his career. I think he maybe got to professional spear, professional shield, and skilled armor. After a while I actually started hoping he'd just die. Having to feed and water him distracted a lot of my important dwarves from important tasks when it was their turn.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: [1] 2 3