Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making More Metal  (Read 988 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Making More Metal
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »

Alright, well I got an idea for a fortress were everything is made from either metal or stone; no wood. However, I've run into a slight problem. It seems that beds can not be made from either stone or metal, and must be constructed out of wood. Same goes for axles and waterwheels/windmills. While I'm at it, lets make mechanisms from metal as well. I have some modding experience, but I have never modded Dwarf Fortress before, so I have a two questions:

1) What files do I need to modify to enable these new metal objects?
2) Would this break my current save games?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Making More Metal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:30:03 pm »

reaction_standard.txt

And if you modify the existing reactions, no.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »

I think that metal mechanisms is not something you can do?

However, you may be able to mod 'ironwood', that is, make a log out of iron that counts as wood

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:28:52 pm »

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:GOLD_MECHS]
[NAME:smelt gold mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]

Replace gold with whatever material you wish.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »

Hmm... reaction_standard.txt only seems to contain reactions for forming metal bars, coke, and wafers. No furniture. Am I missing something?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:30 pm »

Every item in the game uses the same four-part ID system (as you can see if you open a saved embark profile) and there isn't any code to tell the game which IDs are smeltable and which aren't, so furniture is as valid a reaction product as bars of metal.

As a slightly different and more realistic example, there are no edible dyes in the game and no vial-extract crops that can be grown. That doesn't mean the game can't do it, just that it doesn't.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:30 pm »

Every item in the game uses the same four-part ID system (as you can see if you open a saved embark profile) and there isn't any code to tell the game which IDs are smeltable and which aren't, so furniture is as valid a reaction product as bars of metal.

As a slightly different and more realistic example, there are no edible dyes in the game and no vial-extract crops that can be grown. That doesn't mean the game can't do it, just that it doesn't.

Good to know. I'm still clueless on how to make metal beds though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:32 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:[whatever]]
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »

I think that metal mechanisms is not something you can do?

However, you may be able to mod 'ironwood', that is, make a log out of iron that counts as wood
You can make metal mechanisms at the forge from metal that has [ANY_USE]. Just open matgloss_metal and add [ANY_USE] to iron, or whatever you like. With iron you get magmasafe mechanisms. Pretty usefull.

Also, making metal logs doesnt seem to be possible. I tried with [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] But that just created logs called 'wood', worth only 3, and weighting a massive huge lot. Attempts to make it out of bone, stone, cloth, cheese and elf tallow soap also failed.

I find that odd, as when I try to make metal ballista parts, it does ask for 'metal logs'. I guess its an unfinished part of the game.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:15 pm »

What files are things like cabinets and chairs defined in? It seems like it would be easier to mod it in there...

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:29 am »

What files are things like cabinets and chairs defined in? It seems like it would be easier to mod it in there...

Furniture is hardcoded, and cannot be modded.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:50:46 am »

It seems like you could simplify this if you're willing to gen a new world.

Make a new wood type called 'iron struts' or something, and a smelter reaction which takes 1 iron bar and outputs 5 iron struts. Since the struts would be counted as wood, because you told the game they are wood, you could make metal strut beds etc. Just a thought, and you can change the name obviously. (Ironwood, as someone else said? Metal supports? whatever)

As for mechanisms, can't you already make them out of the ore stone before it's smelted? They should have the same properties as the metal, though in some cases less value. All ore is, to my knowledge, also magma-safe.