Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d infinate stone bug...  (Read 1028 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
40d infinate stone bug...
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »

Found a bug that allows conversion of a built wall into a natural wall/fortification of the stone of the tile it was built on. This can then be mined to recover the previously mined stone type.

1: mine out a tile (this happened for marble for me) but may work with other materials.
2: build a block wall in its place(works with at least bauxite and basalt stone blocks).
3: designate wall for both fortification and wall removal.
4: if the wall is removed between the start of the fortification job and its completion, a new natural fortification of the underlying material will be created. This can then be mined to produce that stone.
4b: if not, the wall will be deconstructed and you can try again.

If this can be done with wood or glass blocks, you can get infinate stone, even if not, you can transform vast materials of non-economic stone to valuable stones.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d infinate stone bug...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »

Does this work with ore?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:15 pm »

I'll give it a try with ore and gems after work. Unless its a mat specific bug it probably will work.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:20:44 am »

Does this work on soil layers to produce soil fortifications? Not that that would have any far reaching effects in terms of gameplay, I'm just wondering if it's possible.

You may have struck the goldmine in terms of exploits, my friend. Difficult to manage, maybe, but the ability to get infinite adamantine or star rubies or whatever may be worth it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:46 pm »

I just tested this.  You can only duplicate the layer stone in this manner (which makes it NOT the exploit mother lode), and you cannot make fortifications out of soil this way, either.  It seems to screw up pathing, considering that my dwarves kept trying to get at that stone within the newly built fortification, and they kept failing.