Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 17361 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Fortress
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2009, 11:22:07 am »

Yes, but it's only "arf" a brick. and Twice arf is the same as the original brick. Why bother with the sock?  ???
Because then you can put the other half in the other sock, and either dual-wield them or tie the socks together to make brickchucks.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2009, 12:48:25 pm »

The Morporkian civ probably shouldn't have civ leaders - Ankh-Morpork and its neighbors are city-states, after all. Site leaders should probably be limited to [MAYOR]
c.f/ the Duke and Duchess of Sto Helit?  The title gifted by Queen Kheli (or Kelirehenna) of Sto Lat.

Ankh-Morpork, despite being semi-republican in itself (the exact situation is debatable, and relative to which part of Roundworld one happens to live, I suppose, and thus what a Republic means to oneself) does not seem to really care what governmental/monarchial system the other nations on its side of the Circle Sea work on.  (I was going to say "don't interfere, don't rule over them", but then the A-M national anthem is "We can Rule You Wholesale".  Even before the current Patrician was around.)

Part of the problem is that the Sto Plains cities seem to be fairly evenly divided between monarchies and republics.

Ankh-Morpork: Republic (formerly a monarchy)
Pseudopolis: Republic (it's ruled by a mayor in Going Postal; was apparently formerly a monarchy)
Quirm: Monarchy (ruled by a duke)

Sto Lat seems to be the capital of a genuine kingdom including cities like Sto Helit, so it might have to be a separate civilization from the city-states altogether.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2009, 04:39:47 pm »

Yes, but it's only "arf" a brick. and Twice arf is the same as the original brick. Why bother with the sock?  ???
... I dunno. Aerodynamics? Weight to centrifugal force ratio? I'm sure it's something that the lowly masses of Ankhe-Morporke have devised in order to maximise their 'eaving and swingin' potential.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »

The Morporkian civ probably shouldn't have civ leaders - Ankh-Morpork and its neighbors are city-states, after all. Site leaders should probably be limited to [MAYOR]
c.f/ the Duke and Duchess of Sto Helit?  The title gifted by Queen Kheli (or Kelirehenna) of Sto Lat.

Ankh-Morpork, despite being semi-republican in itself (the exact situation is debatable, and relative to which part of Roundworld one happens to live, I suppose, and thus what a Republic means to oneself) does not seem to really care what governmental/monarchial system the other nations on its side of the Circle Sea work on.  (I was going to say "don't interfere, don't rule over them", but then the A-M national anthem is "We can Rule You Wholesale".  Even before the current Patrician was around.)

Part of the problem is that the Sto Plains cities seem to be fairly evenly divided between monarchies and republics.

Ankh-Morpork: Republic (formerly a monarchy)
Pseudopolis: Republic (it's ruled by a mayor in Going Postal; was apparently formerly a monarchy)
Quirm: Monarchy (ruled by a duke)

Sto Lat seems to be the capital of a genuine kingdom including cities like Sto Helit, so it might have to be a separate civilization from the city-states altogether.

No silly, Ankh-Morpork is a Tyranny, which is like a Democracy. One man, one vote. Vetinari is the man and he's got the vote.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2009, 03:33:47 am »

I wholeheartedly approve of this topic.

I think just having a human city and trying to build a Fortress underneath it would be a good start for a mod/conversion. Make sure that a large human settlement can be genned (with a desire to build at least one taaaaaaall building i.e. Tower of Art), add/remove certain races and change current species' beliefs, mess with the Gods they all belive in (Anoia, Om, etc) and demons from the HFS Dungeon Dimensions. Don't forget the Ankh! I don't THINK you can have toxic rivers in DF (would be interesting) but a nice large one with no fish would be suitable. Aquifier or not? Possibly not worth the hassle, even though in the books, the dwarfs DID have to get a lot of flood-precautions.

Under all this, try to get a fort going with:
A steady flow of immigrants
Quite a lot of starting wealth
Every dwarf with at least Novice skill in mining
Loam/sand for a loooong way down, maybe dotted with some rich Treacle veins
Occaisonal invasions from the Watch? Make them a seperate race who ally with humans but not Dwarfs
Otherwise, I don't see how any real invasion would just be repelled by the humans. Maybe just make some Dark Deep Dwarfs who are opposed to you surface-going scum, who are allies with the humans just to prevent confusion.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:13 am »

Just make sure the Outpost Leader doesn't die, while you're looking around for artifacts.
The guards would be down in your mine in a second, snooping around with their fancy werewolves and vampires...

In the next version of DF, you could make a poison liquid, and have it flow in rivers for worldgen. You'd just have to make sure it ran where the city was.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2009, 04:58:54 am »

By your name and picture... You had better.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2009, 05:42:02 am »

On the other hand you could make a fish named toxic sludge and have it eat everyone who so much as looked at it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2009, 05:52:52 am »

Or you could just have the river spawn "muddy" and "bloody".
And give it the consistency of magma.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2009, 07:01:38 am »

This.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »

And make it flammable, don't forget.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2009, 07:12:30 pm »

And make it flammable, don't forget.
Also, it shouldn't have flow.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

We could make a dirt layer and call it "The Ahnk". Make it an aquifer and give it small clusters of "garbage" rock that can be mined.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:37 pm »

If only we could restrict plants to certain soils.

Then we could have "disposed corpses" "floating" on the "Ankh".

That actually sounds weird now that I've typed it out.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2009, 11:13:47 pm »

and the air should be filled with miasma or smog
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15