Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 17374 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Fortress
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2009, 05:31:33 am »

Patrician      Vetinari, Patrician   [REQUIRE][DEMAND][MANDATE][IS GETTING SARCASTIC]

OH GOD RUN, FUCK, RUN.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2009, 05:51:46 am »

SHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2009, 06:06:38 am »

Vetinari Patrician, Patrician has raised an eyebrow
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:12:37 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2009, 06:12:16 am »

I haven't noticed, but now you've pointed it out, I probably will now. It's a huge shame.

There's far too much of 'huge shames' in this world. Still, I've got my coffee and my Night Watch, I'm happy.

Firstly, Night watch is probably one of my favorite books of his.

And don't be disheartened. Firstly, I noticed a great failsafe that he made himself in Thief of time. He made sure that even if he forgot the timeline, it wouldn't matter, because times been stitched up like an igors patient. An example of this is where in Mort, The Emperor wasn't even a teenager, and a few novels later (Interesting times) he was inside deaths door and commenting on the Hatstand.

His work nowadays is more dark, but its still excellent. Night watch was a very dark novel as compared to Guards! Guards!, as this was more real, but also less satirical. He didn't make fun of as many things. Things were serious. There wasn't anything about odd laws due to the alternative nature to their universe, just things that are all too true in places.

But still. He's going strong, and will be for a long time yet.

Wonders what the heck people are going on about the last several posts about this Vetinari (almost said Vetinary) dude.

Anyways, sometimes people with Alzheimers can stay strong for a while and then simply crash. I remember my grandma who had Alzheimers, she did okay for a while even though there was the decline and then she suddenly crashed FAST, and I mean FAST, right in front of me and my dads and everybody else involveds eyes. It was hard for everybody. Makes me sad just typing it so I'll stop now......

But hey, not your fault it brought up those memories and as I always say to myself after a death in the family, life moves on.....

*In an attempt to un-kill the mood* AAAA!!! RUN! VETINARI IS GONNA GO BESERKER IF THE DEMAND ISN'T MET!!!!

I've heard about Diskworld (not to be confused with Larry Nivens Ringworld), but not read the books.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:16:11 am by smjjames »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:18 am »

Havelock Vetinari, Patrician has raised an eyebrow

Fixed it for you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:30 am »

I thought Havelock was the manservant... oh well, pardon me for the lack of funny.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2009, 06:26:10 am »

I thought Havelock was the manservant... oh well, pardon me for the lack of funny.

Havelock is his first name; his secretary's name is Drumknott.
:D
Still funny, nonetheless! I applaud!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2009, 06:53:05 am »

... applause now? great. Nothing more condescending.

I need to read up on my Pratchett now!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2009, 07:34:46 am »

Wonders what the heck people are going on about the last several posts about this Vetinari (almost said Vetinary) dude.
Well, it was a joke on the name "Medici", originally, though dedicated Pratchetteers (if you'll exclude the unwarrented neologism) might consider Vetinari to be far more three-dimensional (and potentially threatening) than any of the members of the historical family of circa 13th/14th centuries.

(There's also an in-joke, recently in the series, regarding the Young Vetinari's nickname.  So the people of the Disc, at least the upper-crust types educated in his guild, were obviously not unfamiliar with the concept of vets.)

I've heard about Diskworld (not to be confused with Larry Nivens Ringworld), but not read the books.
I'd heartily suggest you make yourself known to them.  Or vice-versa.  (Discworld, BTW, with a 'c'...)  Some people would say "Start at the beginning" (I did, but then it was more or less only the first two or three books available when I started reading, not counting Strata), others would push you at one or other of the books that start a particular 'arc', or otherwise are easy to read stand-alone.  See one or other reading order guides for a rough representation of what 'arcs' are what, and which books start them (then get someone who knows both you and PTerry's works to work out if it's you're more suited to the Guards, Witches, Death or whatever class of books).  But even without much information at hand, Guards Guards is one of the popular books that both starts a recognisable arc and heralds the development of Discworld from Intelligent Parody into Very Intelligent Parody.  Later on in the bibliography you will even get added Philosophy And Thoughtfulness from the series, perhaps some Morality and Life Lessons.  Though that depends on what you want and are able derive from the works (may take a couple of readings).  They're still funny.  Even the 'darker' books like Night Watch.

Potted nutshell (the Pine Nut version, as it were) is: do read Pratchett's works.  Discworld and otherwise (the Johnny Maxwell books, the Nome ones, Nation, maybe later getting to Strata/DSOTS).  There's a lot of people who highly recommend him.  And if you just want to sample his works, a library that does not feature him is (excepting dedicated non-fiction ones, though Small Gods might well sit nicely in a Theological one) not worth the card its indexes are catalogued on.  IMO.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2009, 01:06:38 pm »

Vetinari Patrician, Patrician has raised an eyebrow

Oh shit. I wish there was a mime to distract him.

Entire thread is detained at the Patricians Pleasure.

'And as is well known, the Patrician is rarely pleased.'

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2009, 04:55:44 pm »

Quick! Nobody mime!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2009, 07:45:07 pm »

*Freezes in position*

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2009, 07:55:02 pm »

we could alsoreplace the hammer with Duke vimes

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »

And the Dungeon Master with Lenard of Quirm. Only with more explosions.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »

Replace kobolds with thieves guild, or unlicensed thieves?
Maybe a swamp dragon?
And if possible, an animal that regardless of any hostile enemies (who are all hostile), obstacles, traps or otherwise, runs across the map, screaming 'oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm gonna die'?
Also, although everything that can attack it that will follow it will be shortly be found to be trampled to death?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15