Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 17363 times)

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Fortress
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:08 pm »

May I recommend that you Rename 'strange mood' to be 'inspiration particle'?

In a couple of his books, Wyrd sisters and Sourcery to name a couple, he goes on about the inspiration particle, which hits an unsuspecting mind and causes it to have a great idea. What is wrong with the method is it often misses. So there are bluetits right now that have mastered material physics, but their articles on the subject are generally ignored, as nobody reads torn leaves.

And lets not forget belief. Blind Io, Om, Offler, Herme the Hunted, Annoya, Bel Shamoth (Don't say Seven plus one. Or nine minus one. Or four by two. Just don't say eigh- ooohhssshyyiiii-), the lady (although they wouldn't last very long), fate, and all the hundreds of other small god, like PtangPtang.

Oh yes, this could be fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:38 pm »

The only reason I don't exactly support this project is that without proper narrative causality woven into the gameplay... it really isn't discworld.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »

I've been wanting Toady to add in Knockermen (or, at least the NEED for Knockermen, which is essentially the same thing) for ages... maybe he'll get to it one day.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 05:17:58 am »

It's already possible to make trolls out of stone (racegloss) and everything else is pretty possible with various workarounds. It's possible to make a hundred of total conversions before the next release. So, is somebody working on it, or is it just a chatting thread? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 05:30:48 am »

It's already possible to make trolls out of stone (racegloss) and everything else is pretty possible with various workarounds. It's possible to make a hundred of total conversions before the next release. So, is somebody working on it, or is it just a chatting thread? :)

They're not actually stone though; a spear will still stab them through the heart and kill them in 1 hit.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2009, 06:25:00 am »

A spear through the heart would be pretty fatal to a stone too...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 06:44:45 am »

They're not actually stone though; a spear will still stab them through the heart and kill them in 1 hit.
They are ACTUALLY a stone if you give them a stone racegloss (a virtual stone, because it's a game), it just doesn't compare the material density yet. And stone doesn't have a heart, and damblock is there and if the spear is enough to bypass the damblock, it will destroy the body because they have "severonbreaks". Think twice before posting something meaningless :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 08:06:15 am »

Common courtesy man. Don't be like that.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 08:11:33 am »

They are ACTUALLY a stone if you give them a stone racegloss (a virtual stone, because it's a game), it just doesn't compare the material density yet. And stone doesn't have a heart, and damblock is there and if the spear is enough to bypass the damblock, it will destroy the body because they have "severonbreaks". Think twice before posting something meaningless :).

I suggest you think twice before posting; critical hits ignore Damblock.

A spear through the heart would be pretty fatal to stone (assuming they actually have hearts), now go grab yourself a steel spear and try and stab a statue through the heart. Go on, i'll wait.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2009, 01:46:07 pm »

Ok, I thought twice this time. Where did you get "critical hits ignore damblock"? I'd love to know because it's not in the formula Toady gave us, if you know it I'd be glad to hear it from you :D.
This is all I know about criticals:
Quote from: Toady One
The crit formulas are highly variable and numerous.  In general, you attach a percentage to the attack given by MIN((hitroll/8 + damage)*2 + agility*5 + 3 , 50).  Then you roll that number against 100 for various effects one by one.  If you have a crit boost on your weapon type, you can reattempt your rolls that many times for certain criticals (general those that involve sticking deep, like a circulatory part shot).  Sometimes a critical also has a damage condition, like the damage from the attack has to be at least 5, in addition to making the roll.  Most of the criticals also have damage type restrictions, such as the inability of burning damage to knock you out on impact.
Nothing about damblock.

And again, what's wrong with it? Imagine a champion clawing a stone apart with a mighty blow :). And I think that these rock trolls shouldn't have internal organs to avoid occasional piercing by a wooden arrow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:54:03 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »

It's very simple to test; give something a Damblock of 1 billion, watch as a single critical hit from a spear pierces it's heart and kills it instantly.

I know, i've done it, really pissed me off too. It's why a champion in full adamantine plate can still occasionally get 1 hitted by a Kobold.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »

Hey, Rincewind DID one-shot a troll. I'm suprised nobody remembered that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »

I don't recall that, care to refresh my memory?

I know if you hit them hard enough they will go down for awhile, and Dwarves are somehow able to kill Trolls (it's never explained how they chop stone in half, presumably they just mine them to death.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2009, 09:45:23 pm »

Yep, that's right.  Somewhat near the beginning of the Color of Magic, after they left Ankh-Morpork but before meeting Hruhn.  The gods were playing a game and Fate summoned it, I think.  If I remember right, he grabbed a sharp rock and landed a lucky blow on the back of its neck.

You know, it freightens me somewhat that I can remember this sort of thing without even committing it to memory.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2009, 09:47:10 pm »

Ah, that would be an important difference; Trolls weren't actually made of stone in The Color of Magic if memory serves, they were just sort of rocky.

Pratchett 'evolved' his races substantially as he went along, the earlier books are noticably different in specifics like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15