Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal for Linux?  (Read 1262 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reveal for Linux?
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:58:27 am »

Now we have DF working on Linux, the obvious question is has anyone ported any of the utilities? I'd quite like to be able to run reveal on my Linux machine.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal for Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »

I'm assuming you tried to run it through Wine. If that doesn't work, it's up to the creator of reveal to port. I'm also not sure that Reveal even works with the 40d** versions, regardless of OS.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

Heh, I'm a failure at Wine. The only things I've ever managed to make work through it are things I found detailed step-by-step instructions on how to set up.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:29:34 pm »

I think you should at least try Wine, and then resort to hoping for a port. That, or use Reveal on a copy of your save under Windows... but that is a little impractical.

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:30:37 pm »

I don't know about Reveal, but I do know that there is some work being done on a port of Dwarf Manager for linux.  I'm actually waiting for this to be finished until I start playing again.
Well I've finally found a signature

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:39:30 am »

Since reveal uses the window title, it won't be able to find a Dwarf Fortress window when run in Wine.  What you can do is run the Windows version of DF in Wine (speed doesn't matter to reveal, amirite?) and then run reveal in wine.

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:44 am »

I haven't tried it, but I've been watching the Dwarf Manager port thread, and I can tell you that the memory locations of Dwarf Fortress under Linux differ from those inside of Windows. This means that any of the tools that examine DF memory at runtime will need to be ported to Linux before they will work, and yes, this also applies to running DF under wine.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:26 am »

what if you ran both under wine and copied the map folder back to your linux location? are linux df maps fundamentally different from windows? that would suck for sharing :(

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:18:00 pm »

are linux df maps fundamentally different from windows

There is no reason they would be, it would just mean more dev work for Toady.

EDIT:
I'll just emphasise this bit.

DO NOT RUN REVEAL.EXE IN WINE

It will crash your system, and the mystical Sys Rq key will not help you.  You will need to do a hard reboot.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:31:18 pm by calrogman »

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:40:11 pm »

are linux df maps fundamentally different from windows

There is no reason they would be, it would just mean more dev work for Toady.

If they're binary files, sure.

If there are text files in there, I really hope DF can correctly read (i.e., ignore :P) both Windows-style and Unix-style endlines.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »

I got a fortress started in DF on Linux running (quite well, surprisingly) in DF for Windows under Wine, the saves are cross platform.