Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dead Dwarves Own Stuff?  (Read 2205 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Dead Dwarves Own Stuff?
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:26 am »

So I recently was looking in the "freinds and relatives" screen for some dwarf in fortress mode and noticed I could still "link" over to view the details of a deceased dwarf.

It listed him as still owning all the stuff in his tomb. This may be old news to most, but I am surprised: Dead Dwarves still own stuff! Is this a half-finished mechanic for creating annoyed undead? Also, why can't I dedicate Tombs post-humously?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Dwarves Own Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:56 am »

So I recently was looking in the "freinds and relatives" screen for some dwarf in fortress mode and noticed I could still "link" over to view the details of a deceased dwarf.

It listed him as still owning all the stuff in his tomb. This may be old news to most, but I am surprised: Dead Dwarves still own stuff! Is this a half-finished mechanic for creating annoyed undead? Also, why can't I dedicate Tombs post-humously?

Dwarven burial customs apparently call for all the deceased possessions to get piled into their tombs with them.  ;D

As much as I've tried I can't get the stuff out of the tomb once it's in there short of maybe a cremation (i.e. magma flood)

Also the reason you can't assign tombs after death is that, well... He's dead. The game apparently has provisions for ownership while dead but acquiring new items (while dead) doesn't happen.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:08 am »

The Egyptains did the same thing and in many burials around the world, the dead are often buried with their most precious belongings.

As for dedicating tombs post humously, no idea, but that doesn't stop you from building a tomb and placing that particular dwarfs coffin/sarcophagus/casket in there.

Although when a dwarf goes beserk, their details are no longer accessable. They still get buried I think as kin is still kin.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:41:34 am »

The Egyptains did the same thing and in many burials around the world, the dead are often buried with their most precious belongings.

It just turns out that to most dwarves "Most Precious Belongings" often means several pig tail socks.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:55 am »

That's why when I make tombs for nobles I just stick the coffin in their stupid rooms. If it's going to be cluttered anyway might as well beat them to it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:08:09 pm »

It just turns out that to most dwarves "Most Precious Belongings" often means several pig tail socks.

Lol, you stole the words right out of my mouth.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:48 pm »

And baring tombs, their SO will of course be inherriting ll their posessions.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:54:25 pm »

I can see the Futurama egyptian funeral.

"The pharoah will be buried with his most prized possessions.  His internal organs, and this sack of cats..."

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:11:03 pm »

"... and his prized civilization!  What?  What did you think the cast obsidian roof over the sky was for?  PULL THE LEVER!"

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »

I am so going to do that the next time I get a non-HFS king.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:40:52 pm »

That's why when I make tombs for nobles I just stick the coffin in their stupid rooms. If it's going to be cluttered anyway might as well beat them to it.

After a noble dies, you ought to quickly assign the tomb to someone else, then when the replacement comes along assign it to him. Dead nobles can't punish anyone anymore, why should they be given valuable real estate? Let him rot in the refuse pile.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:49:50 pm »

After a noble dies, you ought to quickly assign the tomb to someone else, then when the replacement comes along assign it to him. Dead nobles can't punish anyone anymore, why should they be given valuable real estate? Let him rot in the refuse pile.

Since my nobles never die except by my hand, I'm starting to wonder why I give them tombs at all.  :P

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 02:38:15 am »

Actually, if I recall correctly, when you add stuff to the tomb the dead dwarf is now shown to own it.

This is going to come into play once necromancy comes back, I'm certain of it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 02:40:18 am »

Actually, if I recall correctly, when you add stuff to the tomb the dead dwarf is now shown to own it.

This is going to come into play once necromancy comes back, I'm certain of it.

With the resurrected dead wearing layers upon layers of xxRope Reed Sockxx  ;D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 02:44:40 am »

Or a dead king coming back because you ransacked his tomb and gave all the furniture in it to the Mayor of Crumpetwarren.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2