Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Megabeast numbers/frequency?  (Read 2760 times)

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeast numbers/frequency?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

Is there some tag in the raws or worldgen setting to affect how many megabeasts of each type get genned? I tried messing with the FREQUENCY tag; it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm trying to get one or two of the truly badass guys (think Ultra-Mega-Megabeast) and a larger number of the others. Possible? No?

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast numbers/frequency?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:34:52 pm »

Take my gigabeast from the other topic and try him, you may only get three on a medium world, but they'll always be alive when you come in.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:59:45 am »

I recall that I added a lot more megabeasts to a gen'ed world when I added [CLUSTER_NUMBER:*:*] to them. Made dragon's attack in pairs, and hydra's in terrible packs of 7. Bronze colossi in herds of 12.

It worked, there were a lot of megabeasts, but playing, I soon found out that there were no civilizations left anywhere. Just a horrible amount of megabeasts that held the world at bay from advancing.

I also recall that this makes megabeasts attack in the number you add to the cluster size. Somehow I remember being attacked by two titan's that showed up at the same time.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:10:27 am »

It worked, there were a lot of megabeasts, but playing, I soon found out that there were no civilizations left anywhere. Just a horrible amount of megabeasts that held the world at bay from advancing.

Yes, well, that's what happens when you let hundreds of city destroying monsters into a world.  ;D

That said, is there a way to ensure that more megabeasts survive worldgen without basically causing the extinction of the dwarven/human race? Most of the other threads I've read about this end in epic genocide with only the modded megabeasts left standing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:13:55 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:50:50 am »

Another way to get more megabeasts is to also add the tag [SEMIMEGABEAST] to the mega beasts, this will cause them to spawn both mega beast dragons/etc and semi mega dragons/etc.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:58:29 am »

Yes, well, that's what happens when you let hundreds of city destroying monsters into a world.  ;D

That said, is there a way to ensure that more megabeasts survive worldgen without basically causing the extinction of the dwarven/human race? Most of the other threads I've read about this end in epic genocide with only the modded megabeasts left standing.

Here's a theory. I don't guarantee anything though.

If there's a civ of dwarves that live on very remote regions of the world (Tundra, etc.), and are able to expand very quickly, while staying away from war, they should be able to expand faster than the megabeasts could kill them.

They wouldn't be capable of world domination, as they can only live in tundras.

Think that'd work?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:29:55 am »

Here's a theory. I don't guarantee anything though.

If there's a civ of dwarves that live on very remote regions of the world (Tundra, etc.), and are able to expand very quickly, while staying away from war, they should be able to expand faster than the megabeasts could kill them.

They wouldn't be capable of world domination, as they can only live in tundras.

Think that'd work?

Hmm... Actually isolation would guarantee survival. Like dwarves on islands or to the extreme north/south.

Only problem is everyone in the middle or not on an island is subject to dragon based genocide  :D

That would effectively divide the world between Megas and Dwarves. Which would be awesome, by the way.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:00:01 am »

Urist McOne: Brothers, on this island we are safe from the megabeasts!
Urist McTwo: Actually, a megabeast appears to have spawned on this island.

Urist McOne has been struck down!
Urist McTwo has been struck down!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:06 am »

Well, if you aren't crazy enough to fight few thousand megabeasts with seven crazier dwarves, there's another method I recall.

Up the size and damblock of the megabeasties to some insane number.

Apparently they fare a lot better, although I've seen Size 150 Damblock 175 MB's still get whacked by someone with a crossbow, or just luck on their side.

Anyway.

Up size and damblock, generate, confirm that there are a load of them alive, then go and lower the size and damblock to their original values.

*clap*
And you're done.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:01 am »

I suspect doing that will guarantee that every single one of those megabeasts survives worldgen. And no one else  :D

Do other civs survive the worldgen? Because with beasties that bad I can't imagine if anything could stop them except other megabeasts or a squad of champions.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:07:41 am »

Cluster size for megabeasts is fun, i create megabeast that called madhamster and attacks in groups of 100. Its sounds very epic "one hundred mad hamsters attack". One hamster is weak but hundred of them is power(and yes they have [POWER]). Its pretty funny read that hamster that stole some small things and eat a lot of small domestic animals is worshipped by civs.

Anyway CLUSTER_NUMBER allow to control number of beasts in one group and POPULATION_NUMBER allow to control total number of them.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:40 am »

Personal experience shows that megabeasties with 100+ in both size and damblock won't do any civilization-destroying by themselves. Sure, they might have 100-500 kills in their name by the time the generation ends, but that's about it.

At least of the civ's I've seen with those settings, none have been ended by a megabeast. They attack, kill a few people and then they're off again.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 01:00:01 pm »

Not quality but quantity is important. 1000 hamsters devastate world in 10-30 years. 1 ultra mighty dragon cant do anything important.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:19:49 pm »

My megabeasts already have size and damblock jacked up, as well as attack damage. Worldgen still tends to stop sometime before year 1050 with a cutoff of 90% dead.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »

Hmm. How much size and damblock did you give them?
Pages: [1] 2 3