Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Regional Strip Mine  (Read 1200 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Regional Strip Mine
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:29:14 pm »

I know that my map has a magma pipe on it somewhere. I am trying to find out where. Right now I'm digging at the bottom z-level (-15) in 2 shift by 2 shift dimensions. Anyone know how to make this go faster so I don't have to strip mine the entire bottom level?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Regional Strip Mine
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »

Reveal might work

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:02 pm »

That might help. I just converted this project into my military training program. I still have my legendary miners working on it but I'm making picks out of the large quantities of copper I've uncovered and giving them to anyone who doesn't have a job. Slow going since I have dabbling miners digging through granite but it'll get done.... eventually.... maybe.... I hope...
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:14 pm »

The best way to find features is with exploratory mining.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Exploratory_mining

Also, it's a good idea to quickly map out what your embark looks like. If you've got a 3x3 embark:

~"^
^^^
^^^

And ~ is the magma, you know that it will be somewhere in the NW 48x48 block (since that's the size of an embark square. In my experience it's usually smack in the middle. And since it's usually about 20x20 in dimension, you can usually find it it with just a single mine shaft.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »

It's a magma pipe and it doesn't show anywhere on the surface at all. Exploratory mining is what I am doing, just on a far larger scale. I was just wondering if there were any hints or tips anyone had to make the mining go faster.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:43 pm »

The magma pipe WILL be in the middle of one of the 48x48 embark squares. Just dig straight down at the center of each one.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

It's fairly exploitational, but if you go to the bottom level and hit D for trade depot access, the spot where there's nothing will have stuff.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:56:43 pm »

That doesn't work. Every tile that isn't revealed is blank.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »

If only caravans sold slaves. *Sighs*

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:08 pm »

Since it's a pipe, you know it has to be at the bottom of the Z levels. So, head deep, and then bisect your map until you find it. Pipes are 'fairly' large, so it's not too time consuming to locate them.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 11:26:47 pm »

That's what I've been doing for a while now. I'm at the lowest z-level and digging until I find something. I have usually 10 miners at all times, not a drop of magma yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 11:43:17 pm »

That doesn't work. Every tile that isn't revealed is blank.

No, it does normally work. The problem is you've likely designated a significant portion of the bottom layer for digging. Normally tiles aren't even generated until you designate something in that 48x48 square for digging. This is why, when you use reveal, you have to designate the entire bottom level for digging.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:04:35 am »

Knowing which embark square has it (if you have that enabled) is the easiest way as others said.

If you don't know the square then keep an eye out for clues like Fire Snakes appearing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:07:00 am »

It also helps if there's a good amount of obsidian visible, either as a cap, or just alot in the general area.

That is, depending how close to the surface the pipe starts.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:54 am »

If I have read this right,
You have searched the VERY bottom Z level and found nothing...
Sounds like A Magma POOL not pipe...
Listen to what the others are saying about the 48X48, you can easily find something with a SINGLE shaft going to the bottom Z when it comes to Pipes and Pools...
If its not in the Mountain, just double check for a Cap on the surface.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: [1] 2