Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Online Game to Play With My Mom?  (Read 3639 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Online Game to Play With My Mom?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:13 pm »

Gunbound works, I remember sinking hours into that. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

My best friend got married to a chick he met in Gunbound.

Hehe.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »

Neopets.

I wonder if it is even still around. I don't even know what the game is about but sounds like a load of fun!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »

Avoid neopets like the plague. Some girls I've grown up with caught the neopets, and the disease warped them into people I no longer knew.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »

Free Realms is funnish. Wizardry 101 is similar.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »

Mabinogi, Wonderland Online, Ragnarok Online, Wind Slayer, Angels Online, Tales of Pirates, Air Rivals.
I've played all of these except for Mabinogi and Tales of Pirates. I really recommend Air Rivals, though, because being in a formation(party) is really useful.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 05:06:52 pm »

Mabinogi, Wonderland Online, Ragnarok Online, Wind Slayer, Angels Online, Tales of Pirates, Air Rivals.
I've played all of these except for Mabinogi and Tales of Pirates. I really recommend Air Rivals, though, because being in a formation(party) is really useful.
Ragnarok Online is pay to play I think. Either you pay, or get a private server. Because of some issues I'm not terribly familiar with, ones based in the US might not be legal. In that case, one would have to search around for one based in Korea or something. Though I dunno where to find such a server. Who knows. Ragnarok Online is rather fun through.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »

You can install their Valkrie(or however it's spelt) into RO and it's free.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »

As I am currently playing Perfect World (on the international server, rather than the one that was linked to), I can say that it is indeed quite grind-heavy, as is to be expected of most Asian MMORPGs.

Neopets...  eh, I don't see how it's fun anymore.  It's changed and become much more...  commercialized.  Ick.  (I still watch my accounts there, but I don't DO anything.  *cough*  And no, they're not under this name.)

When I played Air Rivals, I only rarely was actually invited to a formation while engaged in PvE.  The whole community seems far too focused on PvP, which I don't care much for (nor does my computer).

Mabinogi has a rather steep learning curve, so you may want to avoid it.  There is grind there, but it's more pronounced for ranking up your skills (this gets especially hellish later on...) than for gaining character levels.

Puzzle Pirates has a moderate learning curve in learning how to do the puzzles WELL, and though the efforts of every player on the ship matter (requiring people to actually HELP instead of goofing off), it's true that you don't have a significant amount of interaction with each other in running the ship.

Gunbound still exists?  It was fun when I played it, but I've heard it's become more and more skewed toward the people who buy things with real money...

I didn't get very far into Tales of Pirates, but I didn't really think much of it from what I saw.  Also, I had some sort of weird variable running speed that seemed tied to my graphical lag...  ick.

I liked Ragnarok Online, but that was long ago, and I eventually got to the point where I was bored of it.  ...I -did- play on a private server, though, but the drop/exp rates weren't horribly jacked up like some of them tend to do.

And thus ends my run of opinions on the things that people have mentioned.

Duke: I see what you did there.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 05:42:57 pm »

Hobo Wars!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 06:43:15 pm »

Gawd, why didn't I think of this.
How about Haven & Hearth?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 06:48:05 pm »

Actually

Why Not an Online Poker or blackjack game? There are many Free ones out there that don't involve real money at all.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »

Ragnarok Online is pay to play I think. Either you pay, or get a private server. Because of some issues I'm not terribly familiar with, ones based in the US might not be legal. In that case, one would have to search around for one based in Korea or something. Though I dunno where to find such a server. Who knows. Ragnarok Online is rather fun through.

What you did there.  I see it.
Shoes...

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 03:45:58 am »

Hm...  I was shying away from it because one of you guys said it required a large investment of time to be worth it.  Is this not true?  If it can be played casually without massive frustration, maybe it is the one I'm looking for after all.

Haven and Hearth is just a bad idea, if you ask me. It's a lovely game, don't get me wrong (I'm alt-tabbed from it right now in fact), but it is srs game for srs people. That's not entirely true, but I don't think you're going to be able to enjoy it casually as there's a catch 22 of needing security to enjoy it (it's supposed to be a complete, kill-people steal-stuff sandbox) and needing to grind (at least from the perspective of a new player) for it. Playing it as a farming sim would work, if others would let you. I've never played it, but Wurm Online supposedly has some similar aspects and has less murdering and pillaging.

As for stuff I actually have experience with - Someone mentioned Wonderland Online, and that might work. If memory serves, it's a bit more like a traditional RPG (a really silly, Korean I think? one at that, riddled with Engrish and some stereotypical anime-ish stuff), but charming in its own way. There was also a somewhat robust crafting system and your own, private instanced space to make your own house and stuff. Probably one of the best suggestions I've seen, though far from perfect.

NosTale is another one (no idea if it's still around; I think it's coming around to two years since I've played). It's probably best described as sort of Diablo 2-esque only cutesy. I remember a lot of instanced areas with their own (self-contained) silly stories and such. I also remember it for its bitchin' rockin' music. As a matter of fact, I mostly remember it for that and the fact that archers were truly awesome. It's interspersed with typical MMO-ish kill things and take their stuff, but I don't think the grind was too bad.

Note: Freeness stops here. It's probably too rich for the intended mileu, but I think they'd fit the ticket if you can afford it (and are worthy pick-ups in their own right). Also added some spoiler tags to not take up as much space.

Spoiler: Neverwinter Nights (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Guild Wars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: lol RunEscape (click to show/hide)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 04:16:02 am »

NosTale is another one (no idea if it's still around; I think it's coming around to two years since I've played). It's probably best described as sort of Diablo 2-esque only cutesy. I remember a lot of instanced areas with their own (self-contained) silly stories and such. I also remember it for its bitchin' rockin' music. As a matter of fact, I mostly remember it for that and the fact that archers were truly awesome. It's interspersed with typical MMO-ish kill things and take their stuff, but I don't think the grind was too bad.

I, too, have played this.  I remember being obsessed with getting the best scores in the TSes (AKA the instances) on my server/channel (can't remember which one they called them).  It eventually got to the point where the grind caught up with me, though, and...  I guess I wasn't really in grinding mode on that game (though I can be in some games...  such as MapleStory or FlyFF (if you hate grinding, AVOID those games)), so I got kind of bored.  Or maybe just burnt out.  The grind isn't really that bad until you get fairly far into it, though.

lol RunEscape

Some friends and I once thought this was a funny joke... YEARS ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3