Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Smoothing OCD?  (Read 2578 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Smoothing OCD?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:42:15 am »

Anyone else suffer from this disorder?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:55:25 pm by Atlas »
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smooting OCD?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:10 am »

Atlas's dreams are plagued by maps containing nothing but silty loam layers.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:49:29 am »

Since I've started playing with a smooth wall character set I'm obsessed with smoothing every stone wall in the fortress.

I hate engravings though, so I end up with a ton of legendary engravers that never get to use their skill properly, hah!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:53:21 am »

I hate smoothing walls because they don't match up with the unsmoothed areas or dirt.  And I hate engraving floors because the light background looks weird.  So I always engrave all my walls and just smooth the floors.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:06:49 pm »

A good character set helps a lot with this.

If you look at one of my kings chambers you can see the difference between engraved and non-engraved walls. The engraved walls have a white dotted outline and the engraved floors have a single white dot in the center.

The problem I have with a lot of sets is that the designers come up with really nice single tiles for floors and such, but it winds up being WAY too busy when you have hundreds of them. The tiles that will cover huge expanses (floors, walls, stockpiles, etc) need to be very subtle or else the objects in the foreground get lost.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »

Yeah tis horriable having this compulsion to covert every mesurement I see to smoots. Makes maths lessons a pain.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »

Atlas's dreams are plagued by maps containing nothing but silty loam layers.
I avoid those. I rarely have anything but stairs on soil layers. And, I replace the walls around them with block walls.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing OCD?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:21:14 pm »

I've got a tileset that forces black over the background so engraving just adds a little gray to the walls and makes the floors a more intricate pattern.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 03:17:28 pm »

I like seeing the full bedazzling display of incomprehensible shapes and ASCII characters.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 04:13:05 pm »

I've got a tileset that forces black over the background so engraving just adds a little gray to the walls and makes the floors a more intricate pattern.
Which tileset?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

Yes, I've got it bad. I've held up irrigation and magma moving projects because I hadn't gotten the walls smoothed. I almost lost a fortress once because I didn't finish completing my defenses in time for a siege because I hadn't smoothed walls and floors that would soon be completely inaccessible.

It's so bad that I don't even like 4 smoothed walls in a block, because it doesn't look good. I plan my architecture around what makes my smoothed walls look good. All microcline walls are torn down and the rubble thrown into a chasm. I tear down orthoclase walls too but I save the stones for nice floor patterns.

All of my useless migrants get inducted into the "Stonecarvers Union." Dwarf Manager makes this such a breeze.

Interestingly enough, engraving seems to have the highest job priority. This doesn't count, of course, the all-dwarf jobs like deconstruction and trade depot hauling. In one of my older forts I held off for a long time on doing my smoothing. The union instead dug out the entirety of my fort while the rest of the dwarves partied in the statue gardens on the surface. After the mining was done they had a few seasons rest, then the engraving began.

It took a few years. When they were done, they all came outside for some fresh air. They hadn't seen the sun in two years a promptly threw up all over the statue garden. The only dwarves I had with cave adaptation were my smoothers.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm using the Guybrush tileset. I was a fan of Monkey Island so ...
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 06:27:31 pm »

Though I do smooths nearly all my walls of my fort, and usualy dig away soil layers from my fort, I cant realy call it OCD. I do it to make my natural walls blend in with the constructed ones, and to make the floor stop looking all messy. I smooth purely for the aesthetics.

I actualy kinda like engravings, but only on walls, and in moderation. Like on a wall that is 12 tiles long, I could put 6 engravings in sets of 2, leaving 3 squares blanks between the sets.

Though you could probably say I have aesthetics OCD. I just hate having randomly build, inconsistent or blandly colored rooms that are larger then 3x3. I also hate constructions made out of rough stone, just because I imagine it looks all crappy.

My lower class dwarves are lucky though, they get nicely smoothed rooms with a few engravings, and some furniture made out of green glass or some other material that isnt rock or wood.

Its nessecary though, for them to not go tantrum-murdering, with the little care I put in keeping them safe.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »

I suffered from this until I started building above-ground forts.

But now all my stone quarries and mines have smooth walls...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:57:06 pm »

Which tileset?
Modified version of the PTTVG.png one. With png files at least you can draw black where you want engravings to stay black but you'll need d11 or another numbered one (12-13 has some issues,) to use png files.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33:24 pm »

A good character set helps a lot with this.

If you look at one of my kings chambers you can see the difference between engraved and non-engraved walls. The engraved walls have a white dotted outline and the engraved floors have a single white dot in the center.

The problem I have with a lot of sets is that the designers come up with really nice single tiles for floors and such, but it winds up being WAY too busy when you have hundreds of them. The tiles that will cover huge expanses (floors, walls, stockpiles, etc) need to be very subtle or else the objects in the foreground get lost.

What tileset is that?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: [1] 2