Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is your FPS?  (Read 1889 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
What is your FPS?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:13:39 am »

I usually start off with around 50fps and as my fortress nears size 80 this dips down to around 30fps. This is with temperature/weather on and a 120x60 grid and 5x5 embark. XP, windowed. If I have a lot of haul, construct or dig jobs this can dip below 20fps. The game starts to be a little too slow for my taste at around 15fps so I haven't done many forts over size 80. Those I do I usually wind up abandoning because it's all bogged down.

I've read a lot about optimizing FPS so my fort design has large central hallways and lots of stairs.

What FPS do you all normally play with? What do you consider acceptable? Maybe I just need to suck it up and deal with a 10fps in order to get to 200 dwarfs.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your FPS?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »

Mine hovers around 30-40 FPS with 100 dwarves and a 3x3 site.  I recently tried to raise the cap to 150 dwarves but as soon as I got around 140 or so dwarves my FPS hit a constant 20 and would dip as low as 15 with large amounts of hauling.

My computer is relatively old though.  I only have a single core CPU.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »

Anything above 30 FPS is "acceptable" to me.

At the moment, my FPS ranges from 5 to 20 depending on the situation, due to the tallness of my fort and 170 dwarves crawling around it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:20:06 pm »

I set max FPS to 125 or 150, and it keeps that at a steady pace, though when the fortress grow sufficiently large enough, this starts to drop to somewhat around 75 for ~70 dwarves.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »

My fort is at 200 fps with around 70 dwarves, on a 4x4 embark site.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:45:01 pm »

Currently Morul is languishing in the 12-15FPS range, even with only 49 dwarves. The slowdown comes from the magma pipe draining, which is the computation equivalent to real-time modeling the aerodynamic effects of a B2 bomber in a typhoon.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »

Currently Morul is languishing in the 12-15FPS range, even with only 49 dwarves. The slowdown comes from the magma pipe draining, which is the computation equivalent to real-time modeling the aerodynamic effects of a B2 bomber in a typhoon.
I love your explanation.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:04:58 pm »

I start near 100, currently on a 180 dwarf fort on a 5x5 embark w/ magma, river, ug river and about 40 z-levels I'm at 16fps when a mass designation/siege/caravan occurs or 40-50fps normally.

I just realize that my laptop runs about 20% faster fps when it's plugged in. It must have an auto-stepping cpu or whatever that's called.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:16:41 pm »

It must have an auto-stepping cpu or whatever that's called.

If it's less than 5 years, it does. All conventional laptop CPU/chipsets have a range of power-saving options including ramping back the processor speed. You can turn it off but it'll be on by default.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »

I usually get about 250fps on first embark, down to 100 on 50 or so dwarves, 50 on 100 dwarves, 20-25 at 200. I play with everything turned on and my rig is pretty mediocre (dual core 2.8ghz, 2 gigs ram, geforce 8400), but I always embark on very small (2x2 or 2x3) embark locations and rarely on chasms/pits, so it tends to get great speeds all the time.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »

About 70.

Oh, wait, that's Fatalities Per Second.

Still, at my largest fort of 150 dwarfs on a 2x2 area, it comes down to about 60-70 FPS.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:18:09 pm »

About 50-60 FPS on a 2x4 with 40 dwarves and no pathing liquids, and half that with the mini mist generator turned on.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 04:19:42 pm »

Wow, does trimming your embark size really make that big of a difference? I tried doing a 3x3 but everything seemed so small. Plus it's hard to find a lot of fun in a 3x3.

Does everyone cap their population then? I'd really like to see a king join my fort because it's thriving, not because of HFS. One of these days I might just have to make a tiny "world's most boring fort."
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 04:54:02 pm »

Well, a 3x3 is only 40% the size of a 5x5. Multiply that times surface pathing, water management, weather, etc. It really adds up.

And I agree, hard to have fun in 3x3 with large constructions. But easier to have fun if you have a steady supply of hostiles. Having everyone show up damn near inside your dining room really does change the challenge quite a bit.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 05:40:40 pm »

On a 5*5 embark with ~150 dorfs, above-ground and underground rivers, and a magma pipe, about 15-20 FPS. It tends to vary depending on what everyone's doing, because of the lack of forward-thinking design.
It would be <5 FPS if I hadn't hacked the walls out of the dining room and carved lots of extra staircases all over the place.
And it drops by a few if I go on a huge crafting binge. I'm now trying to attract the king by way of giving the dwarven caravan fucktons of stone trinkets, and giving the humans an obscene profit so they'll stop being so mad at me for killing their diplomat. (It was an accident, I swear!)
Also, I lack bins and trees, so it's a constant attempt to clear space.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3