Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Elfs and trees  (Read 4505 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Elfs and trees
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 07:20:12 pm »

Also, because they're elves. Poncy arseurger elves who deserve nothing but death from any free-thinking, intelligent person or dwarf.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »

Can't speak for anyone else, but my personal reason is that they once came to my 100-dwarf fortress and brought nothing but wood and cloth. I had about 30 units of booze in the stockpile at the time, mostly because I had my dwarves working their beards off all year to sell -gabbro Mugs- to the elves.

Frickin' elves.

The elves near my fort routinely bring nothing but cloth, upwards of 30 bins of it, and maybe a few prickle berries. Every time they do, I incinerate them in magma. After torching them several times, they usually get the idea and start bringing a larger variety of items - wooden weapons and armor, booze, wooden crafts, and my all time favorite: caged animals (so far, an alligator, a black bear, a deer, a fox, and a cougar, though no breeding pairs yet) and vermin (usually two-legged rhino lizards for my zoo).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »

My policy is to keep the elves alive as long as possible to maximize my chance of getting sun berry seeds.

And of course Elves don't drink- they just smoke rope reed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 10:51:46 pm »

I hate the elves because they are useless. They've never had any caged animals I couldn't catch myself, all they bring is cloth (not even silk stuff for insane people), they sell wood for extremely outrageous prices, I can buy it from dwarves and humans for 3* each, or just cut it down myself, and they smell.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:44 pm »

Say that when you give them iron, then their mass numbers are to be feared.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:39 pm »

I hate the elves because they are useless. They've never had any caged animals I couldn't catch myself, all they bring is cloth (not even silk stuff for insane people), they sell wood for extremely outrageous prices, I can buy it from dwarves and humans for 3* each, or just cut it down myself, and they smell.

They probably smell nice to each other and humans. But cleaniness is not dwarfy.

Say that when you give them iron, then their mass numbers are to be feared.

Also be thankful that elf fort attackers don't use bows. When/if Toady lets them... well, you're done for.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:18 pm »

Not if you nerf them to realistic proportions...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:13 pm »

Realistic as in J.R.R. Tolkien's 6'5" broadsword swinging, bow-wielding, magical armor-wearing, demon god slaying, killing machines?

Or realistic as in German myth's 14" shoemakers?

I prefer shoemakers, thank you very much  ;D

Also it's funnier when reading the legends log.

"In 35, Inefa Naturespines devoured the cyclops Midor Crystalran the Strength of Apogees in Fordedbrew."

Elves have extradimensional stomachs.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 12:37:56 am »

So can you just remove wood stockpiles before the liason talks to your dwarves, and they won't notice?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:19 am »

You can put the wood stockpiles in rings and patterns near the trade depot, or spell out the words "ALL ELVES ARE PANSIES" in wood logs along the trade road, and they won't notice.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:16 am »

{snip} I made all my Dwarfs fell trees and immigrants etc. {snip}

Wait... what?  Since which version could we fell immigrants for wood?  For that matter, how do you get them to stay still long enough for the woodcutter?
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 03:37:29 am »

To summarise;

Elf Pros
  • Rare Caged Animals
  • Sun Berry Seeds

Elf Cons
  • Ocassional Tree cutting limits
  • Generally poor trade goods

I always thought of Elves as the "exotic" race in DF. As in most of what they bring you is worthless but once in a while you get something nice, like a breeding pair of panthers, making dealing with them worthwhile. I'm under the impression that some people just don't have the patience to wait for the rare items and thus only see elves as the harbringers of wood and cloth.

Overall, if you wait out the rubbish the elves will make it worth your while; see enough wooden swords and larch flutes you'll eventually come across a caged Giant Scorpion or two.  ;)
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 05:10:05 am »

My elves actually tend to bring buttloads of logs and cougars/wolves/scorpions.

It makes you wonder where they got the logs if they love trees so much.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:44 am »

I was actually thinking of confiscating their cloth and use it as a sacrifice to armok. That is dump them into the magma pool right next to and below the depot. I'm thinking of making a sacrificial altar of sorts atto the magma pipe on my current fortress, which just happens to be right next to my entrance.

Had to cheat with the raws to keep whatever was in there from BBQing my dwarves though.

Haven't decided what it will look like or how I will integrate it into defenses when/if I turn invasions back on since I haven't done any defenses before, besides the basic stone-fall trap filled hallway. Hell, I'm afraid that I'll have a full blown siege when I turn invasions back on......

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 07:06:56 am »

I had 2 clothiers working full-time around the year from ONE visit from the elves.
After 2-3 visits, it had become nearly ridiculous.  I ended up making TONS of bags.

You know... before I tried to make my first ever waterfall and ended up flooding the bedroom floor.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5