Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Elfs and trees  (Read 4502 times)

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elfs and trees
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:09:07 am »

My first time on a map with lots of trees so I didn't bring any logs. I made all my Dwarfs fell trees and immigrants etc. while making additional bronze axes on the go.

So my question is: how angry will the elves be after discovering ~2560 trees has been cut?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elfs and trees
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:16:03 am »

The merchants don't seem to care whether you deforest the place, at least they don't complain about it to you.

I don't think they start complaining about it until their diplomat comes when you have the baron. Even then, people have reported bieng able to chop down hundreds, even thousands of trees without making the elves angry.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:26:12 am »

People say that it depends on how much logs you have in your stockpiles.
If you have 100+ logs, elves will complain. But if you cut 2500 trees and use all the wood before they come, they won't notice anything. :)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:29:15 am »

What about tower caps? Do they count as trees or just freakishly large fungus?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:38:58 am »

They're trees just like any other.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:55:08 am »

Thanks. I don't see any reason to put wood in stockpiles till i establish a real fortress and not an outpost so I leave it there and there is no way I'll use 2500 logs for years and wood grows back and I will chop it again.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:00:00 am »

They're trees just like any other.

They are suppoused to be freakishly large fungi, but the game treats them as trees. I guess the structure of the 'wood' is something like a palm tree or a saguaro.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:46 pm »

In my experience, the only way to make the elves angry is to tell them you'll limit the trees you cut, and then cut more than what you agreed on. Telling them to fuck off and then robbing them of everything (except cloth) they own doesn't seem to work.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »

Yeah. My trader (the cretin) slept, then got a drink, went on break, got food, went on break and by that time the caravan had almost left, so instead of hoping to get him there in time, I just stole everything I wanted. I think it was all wood, so they didn't care much...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 06:26:17 pm »

Yeah. My trader (the cretin) slept, then got a drink, went on break, got food, went on break and by that time the caravan had almost left, so instead of hoping to get him there in time, I just stole everything I wanted. I think it was all wood, so they didn't care much...

Happened to me too. Just draft the trader and release him. This should cancel the break.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »

ah. killing the elves with axes smelted with their own wood is far better. Also (just to gloat) most of the goblins coming to my fortress have been dwarves, so I kill them all and don't need to bother wasting my precious wood making it :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:08:23 pm »

Why do people hate elves in the first place?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:04 pm »

Can't speak for anyone else, but my personal reason is that they once came to my 100-dwarf fortress and brought nothing but wood and cloth. I had about 30 units of booze in the stockpile at the time, mostly because I had my dwarves working their beards off all year to sell -gabbro Mugs- to the elves.

Frickin' elves.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 07:16:29 pm »

I have no vendetta against elves.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 07:19:02 pm »

Why do people hate elves in the first place?

Useless trade items aside, it's because they're cannibals who won't let dwarves cut trees down but will eat them (the dwarves) if given the chance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:22:04 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5