Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: How to get a girlfriend  (Read 28811 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a girlfriend
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2009, 12:50:11 am »

There's a good book: The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

Don't look at it as a 'guide to pick up chicks'. It's a nice read, with a lot of interesting stories, meant more for the intelligent types of people. If you guys enjoy arguing with people on forums and making up theories about how to seduce people, I'm sure you'd enjoy the book :P

Please tell me it's not one of those "seduction community" things about how to essentially manipulate women into sleeping with you by playing it like it's some sort of card game, and "dropping negs" and generally acting like a complete douche.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2009, 01:02:36 am »

Seconding/thirding/whatever that G-Flex's advice is solid, especially the "generalizations don't work" part.  Yes, there are enough women living the stereotype to keep the PUA community flush with success stories, but if you're not interested in that mating dance, the rules are pretty flexible.

The one part I would take slight issue with is #1 -- if hanging out for you means going to the comic shop and playing Warhammer, you won't meet girls.  That probably goes without saying though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2009, 01:07:49 am »

The one part I would take slight issue with is #1 -- if hanging out for you means going to the comic shop and playing Warhammer, you won't meet girls.  That probably goes without saying though.

Hey, I like comics! And so do some of my other (female) friends. ;D

Not that I hang out at the comic store, but still, it's unfair to imply that girls don't like stuff people consider "geeky".
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2009, 01:08:33 am »

baaah, you people make this too complicated.

just go out and make friends with girls, and then you find a girlfriend.

eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2009, 01:10:32 am »

"Eventually" can be a very long time Eerr.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:08 am »

Hey, I like comics! And so do some of my other (female) friends. ;D

Not that I hang out at the comic store, but still, it's unfair to imply that girls don't like stuff people consider "geeky".

Oh yes, I agree.  And there probably is a girl somewhere who plays Warhammer at the comic shop.  I just meant that if all of your extracurriculars are nerdy AND hypermasculine, G-Flex's advice might not hold.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2009, 01:31:11 am »

"Eventually" can be a very long time Eerr.
your supposed to have fun in the meantime, and afterward too.

if your just trying to get laid of course it's too long!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2009, 05:06:02 am »

There's a good book: The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

Don't look at it as a 'guide to pick up chicks'. It's a nice read, with a lot of interesting stories, meant more for the intelligent types of people. If you guys enjoy arguing with people on forums and making up theories about how to seduce people, I'm sure you'd enjoy the book :P

Please tell me it's not one of those "seduction community" things about how to essentially manipulate women into sleeping with you by playing it like it's some sort of card game, and "dropping negs" and generally acting like a complete douche.

Lol, it's seriously a good, intelligently written book. Has a lot of stories to support the theories. I'm not even sure how to describe it in a way that doesn't sound stupid, but it's a good book. If you don't believe me, try and browse through it next time you see it in a book store. It's pretty much the same type of good material I'd find in "100 Most Influential People": it has a point, and it describes why it believes in the (controversial) point.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2009, 05:20:40 am »

Treating girls like I treat my guy friends got me a ton of girl friends, but no girlfriends. I always had to act a bit sleazier, for lack of a better word, to avoid getting into the friend zone (it's a zone of no return, trust me).

And yeah, any place where girls are a minority is a bad place to look for one. In a comic shop, for example, they'll get hit on by dozens of geeks, so their shields will be on maximum and they'll be practically unapproachable. Approaching the same girl in a more neutral location could turn out to be a whole different story, though.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2009, 05:48:41 am »

Seconding/thirding/whatever that G-Flex's advice is solid, especially the "generalizations don't work" part.  Yes, there are enough women living the stereotype to keep the PUA community flush with success stories, but if you're not interested in that mating dance, the rules are pretty flexible.

:V

Not always true.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2009, 05:51:15 am »

Treating girls like I treat my guy friends got me a ton of girl friends, but no girlfriends. I always had to act a bit sleazier, for lack of a better word, to avoid getting into the friend zone (it's a zone of no return, trust me).

And yeah, any place where girls are a minority is a bad place to look for one. In a comic shop, for example, they'll get hit on by dozens of geeks, so their shields will be on maximum and they'll be practically unapproachable. Approaching the same girl in a more neutral location could turn out to be a whole different story, though.

Eergh, that really worked for you? Well, c'est la vie.

As to the "friend zone", well...

A couple of years ago one of my friends asked me out (we'd been friends for years by that time). We dated for awhile then broke up. For a few months after that it was completely awkward to be around him and we couldn't hang out at all.

So, yes, the friend zone can be broken out of, but it is a terrible idea to do so. Don't date close friends, if it ends badly then things get awkward.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2009, 05:52:43 am »

We already know that.  It's not getting trapped in the Friend Zone in first place that we can't figure out.

I have to say that I think it's shame how that works out.  Dating a long-time friend makes sense to me (because I've never really tried it obviously).  Trying to "pick up" a person you don't know is a minefield.  With a friend you've already got each other down pat.  It should work perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:54:52 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2009, 06:12:04 am »

We already know that.  It's not getting trapped in the Friend Zone in first place that we can't figure out.

I have to say that I think it's shame how that works out.  Dating a long-time friend makes sense to me (because I've never really tried it obviously).  Trying to "pick up" a person you don't know is a minefield.  With a friend you've already got each other down pat.  It should work perfectly.

There's the problem, you know? It should work perfectly. The little faults and the little flaws shouldn't bother you. But they do, and they get magnified, and bleh, everything goes to hell. Also, he broke up with me, I was fairly okay with the relationship at that point. Anyway we're friends again, but that stumbling block remains and it's not a nice thing to have around.

But that's only my personal experience, I don't know if that's the kind of thing that happens to everyone else. I don't mean to be discouraging and all.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:09 am »

Women do not suddenly find men they know well attractive, it seems to me. You can become good friends afterwards, but it's like they know pretty early wether or not you fit the criteria for romance. I don't mind these days, having been married for about 10 years, and still "in love". What can I say, I was ridiculously lucky.

Anyway if you're like 15 and looking for a girlfriend, for the love of God/Armok/Darwin don't. Really don't. Enjoy your carefree youth and worry about that in a few years time. Your first couple of tries will be catastrophic and no amount of alcohol will wash away the bitter, bitter memories.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2009, 08:21:13 am »

Fair enough, but that's probably a sign that all your socializing shouldn't be done via Warhammer. :P

Not that I'm that much better.

I'm probably injecting a bit of my personal experience into these opinions, necessarily. I've always been sort of a loner, on the internet all the time, and never went out and "met people" in any sort of traditional way, yet still a surprising percentage of my good friends have been girls, and I've managed to find girlfriends anyway.

Really, even if the places you tend to go don't include many girls, odds are that some of the people you know are friends with some, and if you know one girl then you can potentially know something like eighty dozen through them. Or maybe I've just gotten consistently lucky about that, but I doubt it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19