Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: How to get a girlfriend  (Read 28808 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a girlfriend
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2009, 07:09:15 pm »

Alright, i'm tired of the people telling me not to get into a relationship because i'm going too if given the change, it's my fucking choice and i'm tired of you REPEATEDLY telling me[ie. sofia] after i made the earlier statement that i'm going to try and get into one, if you have no advice/don't want to tell me/tell me to not do it then don't post. I'm rather angry right now.

If you get a girlfriend as a consequence of learning how to make friends, that's cool.  First things first though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:12:07 pm by Footkerchief »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2009, 07:22:22 pm »

x2yzh9 seriously you're not in the stage where relationships will benefit you.

If you want list on why it is that way, I will make one.
i don't want them to 'benefit' me per se. I'm not an economical lover. I have a friend who advised me to.. well i'll quote him "Don't go into relationships man they don't benefit you" Blah blah blah, short to say he's an epic NERD at our school. All he talks about is his site when he uses a program that holds your hand on making one, it's more of a blog and a boring one at that. He plays fusion fall and trys to recruit people to it. He's succeeded in a few.. In fact he got a facebook and the ONLY thing he did was put pictures of it on facebook, didnt even put words in. Just words in the pictures. I may use computers alot but i dont try and force my non-interested friends to do it.
Done ranting about someone you guys will probably never meet in your entire lifes.
Done.(-ish)
Alright, i'm tired of the people telling me not to get into a relationship because i'm going too if given the change, it's my fucking choice and i'm tired of you REPEATEDLY telling me[ie. sofia] after i made the earlier statement that i'm going to try and get into one, if you have no advice/don't want to tell me/tell me to not do it then don't post. I'm rather angry right now.
No need to become rather angry now bloke! They were only venturing to assemble a worthier overall comprehension of your circumstance!

x2yzh9 seriously you're not in the stage where relationships will benefit you.
Mabey he doesnt feel sorrow over the inferior interests, he might just be forsaken and hunger for the fondness of passion. :(
Yes, you were right about the fondness of passion thing, i don't want money or services from my girl, just you know..  ;)

TL;DR I don't want to get into a relationship for benefits, and i have a nerd-person who thinks im his friend that i secretly hate and have to endure his talks about his site. All he talks about..

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »

I hate it when people say that... "Friend that you hate"...

My advice? Tell him EXACTLY what you think of him. There is no reason to have him hanging around you if you hate his guts.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »

I have a question.

You see, I just found out that this girl that goes to my gym likes me (I have sources).  Now, only a couple of weeks ago, I'd have jumped at the chance, because I am really uncomfortable around people, and I believe myself unable to make "the step" and ask someone out.

But now, that I have an opportunity, I'm getting second thoughts.  The way I found out that this girl has a crush on me  would mean that I'm taking advantage of her trust in someone else.  But if I don't ask her out (She's really shy) then we may never go out.  The weird thing is, is that I didn't really know her at all.  But now that I know how she feels, I'm starting to like her more and more.  I like her now, but I'm not sure if its real, or just my desperation to find someone to love me.

The whole situation just doesn't feel right, but I might never have found out about her feelings before.  what should I do?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »

Get to know her better and then decide what to do.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »

My advice? Tell him EXACTLY what you think of him. There is no reason to have him hanging around you if you hate his guts.

There can be circumstances that make that... difficult. Believe me, I know.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2009, 07:56:21 pm »

Circumstances ranging from mechanical/physical problems to social no-nos. The second one jerks have an odd habit of abusing.

And unlike movies, nobody will applaud if you punch one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2009, 08:18:26 pm »

Circumstances ranging from mechanical/physical problems to social no-nos. The second one jerks have an odd habit of abusing.

And unlike movies, nobody will applaud if you punch one.

Again, I've had experience with that. Not fun.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »

Were you punched or punchee?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »

Firstly: Girlfriends/Boyfriends in middle school are a joke compared to the relationships you'll have later in your life.
(My first "girlfriend" i "dated" for 2 years during middle school, and during those 2 years i spoke to her once, and sat on the bus next to her once.  We had been good friends that talked quite a bit before this during elementary school)

That being said, i do remember the pressure at that time to have a girlfriend, even if we never did anything it was proof to the rest of the school that I *could* have one

I'm 25 now, I live with my GF (who is a light gamer and smoking hot), and have had my fair share of relationships before finally meeting my GF, So I think I know what I'm talking about. 

I'll just start listing advice in no particular order:

- Say Hi
     This is probably the biggest one, if you never approach a girl you're already out.
- Ask about Her
     One thing everybody loves to do is talk about themselves.  Be interested, but don't be forced in conversation.  Ask questions based on her responses
- Be slightly aloof
     Don't smother a girl, show a genuine interest, be very pleasant and friendly, be relaxed and smile, then: get distracted by something else.  Give her some time where your attention is focused on something else.  Often times people judge their worth by their ability to attract attention of uninterested people.  If you show that you aren't 100% focused on her, she will see that as a challenge to herself where if she can draw your focus she can prove to herself that she is attractive.
     If you do smother her with attention it is very likely that she will wonder what is wrong with you that you are so focused on her of all people, and will be put off by it..  Its kinda like the "i'd never want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member"
- Talk openly, but you don't always have to say everything
     The biggest destructive force in a relationship is the lack of communication, while a close second is probably over communication.  Talk about your feelings.  If there is one surefire way to kill a relationship its to try to act manly, and pen up your feelings.  For me it took years to get past this, and many relationships.  Don't expect to be able to handle all that a relationship entails your first try.  DO NOT under any circumstance tell a girl about having any doubts about a relationship unless you are prepared to end the relationship at that moment.
- Get involved in an activity
     It could be sports, 4-H, band, choir, or anything.  Being involved will help grow your confidence, help you bone up on social interactions.  Sports is also a good choice as it will help your physique, which isn't everything but it can help get your foot in the door.  If you're not too into competing try Track and Field, it will get you outdoors and moving around, and get you into shape.  In my high school we had one kid who joined the homemakers club, kids gave him shit about it for a few weeks until they realized that he was spending a few hours after school every few days and going on trips and hanging out as the only guy with a bunch of hotties.
- Be brave
     The biggest hurdle is going to be you.  If you're unafraid you'll do a whole lot better than if you stop yourself from doing what you think you should.  If you like a girl, pursue her.  I was always amazed to discover that the girl that I had a crush on, had a crush on me too.  (This happened many times) So just go for it.  I think girls are to boys what bears are to people.  People see a bear and they are terrified that the bear is agressive towards them, when in reality the bear is just as terrified by the person.  Boys have a crush on a girl and are terrified that the girl despises them, when in reality the girl will have a crush on someone, possibly that same boy.

I think that will be a good start for you.  Remember, the key is trying, if you don't try you'll never succeed.

And I know you'll dislike this advice and it probably won't make a difference, but try not to get too bent out of shape if it doesn't work out,(which in all likelyhood will happen at some point, few are the people who live their lives with the person they dated in middleschool) although it feels like it at the time its not the end of the world, and things always get better.

(after my middle school relationship i didn't date until late in highschool, then went on an 8 year relationship binge)

one other funny anecdote: I had a friend in kindergarten who was very distraught thinking that he needed to get a girlfriend before he got to first grade.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:35:34 pm by Vactor »
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »

Punchee. And I won't say it wasn't satisfying but it's still, y'know, illegal.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2009, 08:42:16 pm »

I sympathize with the feeling, but that's the gut talking, it's better to try indirect approaches.

You know Salvor Hardin's saying...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:45:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:15 pm »

Punchee. And I won't say it wasn't satisfying but it's still, y'know, illegal.
Frankly, you were only a youngster.

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »

Firstly, there's no such age as one where a relationship won't benefit you, provided a relationship is wanted. Hugs, kisses and having someone nice to talk to, that's happiness, especially at twelve. Will it hurt ? Yeah maybe, but at that age, you'll walk it off. Will it be short ? Yeah, but it'll be great. Will it be meaningless ? Not at all, chances are that if you find a really nice girl and aren't a total jerk, you'll fall in love. And falling in love is always great, even when you're filled with anger, sadness, loneliness and shame at the end.

The psychology of twelve years old girls hasn't really been studied from this angle, so my practical advice somewhat based on personal experience would be, you just have to talk to girls while being nice and acting mature, and it'll pay off eventually. Because, older girls have seen too much, talked with their friends too much to be interested in anybody who's around, but if you're very present in a twelve years old's life, she might just fall into your arms. And if you don't hesitate at this point, you win.
The thing I don't remember being mentioned here is, make fun of them. If you can pull it off without looking like an asshole, it's a huge plus. Don't pick off their insecurities. Just make some absurd stuff up if you need to. Don't do it when you're with people she doesn't know, either.
Why ? Why would you make fun of her ? Because if you're good at it, she'll answer, this will create a unique conversation she probably can't have with other guys if they're twelve, this will make her laugh and challenge her. The tricky part is, be nice about it, be as witty as possible, don't repeat yourself, quickly apologize if she isn't laughing, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19