Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: How to get a girlfriend  (Read 28763 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a girlfriend
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2009, 07:03:10 am »

What if my grade-same love interest is younger a year than me? I.E. me 14, she's 13?

Um that really shouldn't pose a big problem. Normally age isn't the problem, it's personalities that aren't compatible.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2009, 07:06:56 am »

60 percent haven't had sex until after high school? That's unusual.
More because people feel like they've failed if they haven't, so most people will say they have.  While you should certainly have a relationship if you can, there's no point in desperately searching for one just because you've "failed" if you haven't (interestingly, this pressure is often rather male.  If you haven't had sex by point x, you've, like, failed a man.  The pressure can be in the opposite direction with girls (hence the large number of derogatory terms aimed at "loose" women)).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:08 am »

60 percent haven't had sex until after high school? That's unusual.
More because people feel like they've failed if they haven't, so most people will say they have.  While you should certainly have a relationship if you can, there's no point in desperately searching for one just because you've "failed" if you haven't (interestingly, this pressure is often rather male.  If you haven't had sex by point x, you've, like, failed a man.  The pressure can be in the opposite direction with girls (hence the large number of derogatory terms aimed at "loose" women)).

I guess that's true to some degree (of my male friends who say they have had sex, maybe half of them are lying. I can tell because they lie poorly.) But what I meant was that for the 60 percent stat to be true then 40 percent of everyone who goes through high school was sexually active. That's why I said it was unusual.. the corresponding stat was way too high.

Also yeah that double standard ticks me off.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2009, 07:31:43 am »

The double standard barely makes sense anyway.  If you're a man, you have to have slept with x number of women.  If you're a women, if you've slept with y number of men you're a "slut" or one of the dozens of similar insults.  Since for every man sleeping with a woman there must also be a woman sleeping with a man, it just doesn't quite add up.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:46 am »

Also y < 2 more often than not.  >:( I blame patriarchal society.

Back on topic.. in my experience high school romances which involve a lot of emotion (and not just sex) burn really hot and die fast. Neither I nor any of my friends have had a boyfriend who lasted into college.

The kick is that you learn from them. Also there are a lot of people whose relationships do last into, say, college or beyond. I just don't know any.  ;D

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:29 am »

Marrying the first person you date is a recipe for early divorce. Teenage years should be used to explore the relationships and see what works best for you. And no, I don't mean sleep with everything that moves when I say you should explore. What I mean is that you should try relationships with people of fairly different personalities, so you can determine what kind of a person you get along with best. And by relationships I mean relationships, not one-night stands. There's nothing wrong with having those and they can be fun, but you won't learn much from them other than maybe some sexual techniques.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:03 am »

First of all, ignore everyone who says you can't/shouldn't get a gf in school. You can, and there's no reason why you shouldn't.

Spoiler: The important things (click to show/hide)

Lastly, your 12. Having a girlfriend at 12 is nice, but it doesn't matter one little bit if you don't have one, you're young, and the real fun with dating doesn't start for another 5 odd years ;)

Osmosis has the right idea. Twelve is no time to be stressing about it. If it happens, awesome, if it doesn't, no big deal. I'm not saying it's a good idea to abandon entirely any thought of romance, but don't make it the biggest thing in your life either. Stuff happens.

Marrying the first person you date is a recipe for early divorce. Teenage years should be used to explore the relationships and see what works best for you. And no, I don't mean sleep with everything that moves when I say you should explore. What I mean is that you should try relationships with people of fairly different personalities, so you can determine what kind of a person you get along with best. And by relationships I mean relationships, not one-night stands. There's nothing wrong with having those and they can be fun, but you won't learn much from them other than maybe some sexual techniques.

It just occurred to me that the original poster is probably too young to be worrying about marriage yet  :D

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2009, 12:23:37 pm »

Also yeah that double standard ticks me off.
While we continue to palaver solely dealing with procreation, double standards arent held in scrutiny.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »

Think hard about what she should be like. Try to imagine her in your mind, every personality trait you can. Try to see her as clearly as possible. Then start looking for her. Work on yourself along the way, be strong. And look down with disgust upon every one of them that don't suit the image of the girl you're looking for.
If you do find the girl of your dreams, then it's going to be more than just some childish relationship "for show". And it's worth a lot more. Be prepaired and try to look serious.
Worst advice ever. Relationships are built on compromise. That, and you can't really know what you want until you've had a couple of relationships. You may think you know it, but trust me, you don't.

Anyway, in school girls tend to go for older guys because they're so cool and edgy and stuff. So your chances of scoring a girl from your own year aren't that great, but chances of getting one that's a year younger are quite good.
Well, back in 6th grade[we spent that grade at elementary] i had a girl-friend[not A girlfriend, but a friend who is a girl, it relates to the statement im about to make.], who ended up at the last part of the year dating a 9th grader, she's taller then ALL of the students so i guess that helps. In fact earlier in that year i knew a guy who dated her just because he was scared of her. And i have a best friend who likes her apparently, he told her first i suppose it's all good though.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »

Make sure you can tell when girls are hitting on you. That is oh so extremely important. There was a girl I was sweet on last year, and according to all her friends, my dad and mom, and her dad and mom, she was sweet on me. Thing is, I never picked up on it, so I never made the move. Then she got over me, meaning I've missed a chance.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2009, 05:00:13 pm »

Make sure you can tell when girls are hitting on you. That is oh so extremely important. There was a girl I was sweet on last year, and according to all her friends, my dad and mom, and her dad and mom, she was sweet on me. Thing is, I never picked up on it, so I never made the move. Then she got over me, meaning I've missed a chance.
Oh yeah I hate that.  Dur dur I'm totally oblivious dur dur.
Augh. horrible.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2009, 05:05:03 pm »

You didn't pick up on it when the people who would know told you she was?
Shoes...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »

You didn't pick up on it when the people who would know told you she was?

They probably told him after the fact.

I've pretty much given up noticing such things and just go by dumb luck instead.  One girl's friend zone is another's secret crush.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »

The way to deal with being alone is to become arrogant and laugh at your problems, as if they were below you.  That's what I do, and depression is the least likely mental illness to afflict me.
Shoes...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »

The way to deal with being alone is to become arrogant and laugh at your problems, as if they were below you.  That's what I do, and depression is the least likely mental illness to afflict me.
You'll probably just go crazy instead.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19