Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: How to get a girlfriend  (Read 28787 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a girlfriend
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2009, 12:22:53 am »

I sympathize with the feeling, but that's the gut talking, it's better to try indirect approaches.

You know Salvor Hardin's saying...

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2009, 01:31:14 am »

I have a question.

You see, I just found out that this girl that goes to my gym likes me (I have sources).  Now, only a couple of weeks ago, I'd have jumped at the chance, because I am really uncomfortable around people, and I believe myself unable to make "the step" and ask someone out.

But now, that I have an opportunity, I'm getting second thoughts.  The way I found out that this girl has a crush on me  would mean that I'm taking advantage of her trust in someone else.  But if I don't ask her out (She's really shy) then we may never go out.  The weird thing is, is that I didn't really know her at all.  But now that I know how she feels, I'm starting to like her more and more.  I like her now, but I'm not sure if its real, or just my desperation to find someone to love me.

The whole situation just doesn't feel right, but I might never have found out about her feelings before.  what should I do?

Okay... Uhmm... I have words that I could use but seriously this xkcd comic sums it up so very nicely.

Do it! You'll never regret it, unless you get her pregnant and you're like 16.

Never ever ever be afraid of a broken heart! It's what makes life life! Live it up. you win some, you lose some, but if you don't play you'll never even have a chance to win.

Alright I'm just rambling now. I'm really tired. >_<

Seriously though do it.

PS. Go watch Yes Man

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2009, 01:59:17 am »

And if she's unresponsive then bring along a shotgun.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2009, 02:39:10 am »

I thought those were going out of style.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2009, 02:44:22 am »

Not where I live 'taint. Git mah shotgun maurice!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:26 am »

Not where I live 'taint. Git mah shotgun maurice!

Don't go there, maurice.

On a related note I was surprised to find out that the term "shotgun wedding" is literal.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:52 am »

Also, it helps to not have tusks, compound fractures, open wounds, a box of dead orphans, or knives when asking out a girl. Unlike in the movies, when you've just been shot in the forehead, the girl is more likely to call 911 as you faint, not make witty jokes and making plans to hit up the beach.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2009, 03:48:34 am »

Also, it helps to not have tusks, compound fractures, open wounds, a box of dead orphans, or knives when asking out a girl. Unlike in the movies, when you've just been shot in the forehead, the girl is more likely to call 911 as you faint, not make witty jokes and making plans to hit up the beach.

Funny, that it could be attributed to school-life anime too.

Oh well. I need a swiss knife anyway...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2009, 05:27:53 am »

The hated friend thing can be more complicated than you woulda thought.  As soon as I went to a new school, I realised there was quite an amazing circle of Geeks (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) and I was able to get rid of the "hated friends" (although, I am proud to say, without violence.  Mainly because I had about a foot on the person in question, and he wouldn't dare try it).

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2009, 06:26:28 am »

I found the same thing as Leafsnail, except replace Geeks with Otaku.

::)

Of course, I WAS the Hated friend... Heh.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:49 am »

I found the same thing as Leafsnail, except replace Geeks with Otaku.

::)

Of course, I WAS the Hated friend... Heh.

Weeeelll geeks aren't bad. A lot of them are really nice (maybe a bit shy?).

Anyway it's hard to typify people. Take a cross-section of a student population and it'll probably be really varied even within cliques.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2009, 07:26:09 am »

That's what I like about my school, we really don't have different groups or stereotypes. That's not to say there are no friendship groups but there are no boundaries between who talks to who and the like and there is essentially no bullying of any kind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2009, 07:35:57 am »

That's what I like about my school, we really don't have different groups or stereotypes. That's not to say there are no friendship groups but there are no boundaries between who talks to who and the like and there is essentially no bullying of any kind.

Bullrodeleros. There is always bullying. At my old school there was bullying. Every school on the planet has bullying. You just don't see it.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2009, 07:40:12 am »

Bullrodeleros. There is always bullying. At my old school there was bullying. Every school on the planet has bullying. You just don't see it.

Whenever there's a power imbalance bullying occurs. And there's always a power imbalance. Bigger girls or guys and whatnot cause problems for smaller ones. And then in college it's deans and professors who don't like you. And when you get a job your boss might be a problem.

Speaking of which, acting tough to get a girl (especially by picking on other people) won't work.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:41 am »

Maybe not for you, but it works for a surprisingly large percentage of girls. Not pointless bullying, mind you, but (verbally) violent response to even the slightest insult (which can be just about anything). Yeah, pretty much every girl will say she prefers nice guys, but majority of them keep getting attracted to jerks and then wonder why it is they always find jerk boyfriends. It's the ape in us all that makes women attracted to alpha males, and alpha males are almost universally jerks.

Anyway, back to bullying. Over here (Bosnia) it tends to stop in 6th or 7th year of schooling. I've never been bullied in highschool.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19