Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF  (Read 20646 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2009, 08:19:29 am »

So...

Any card ideas?
PrinnyBaal and RAM are doing sets for this?
Maybe I should do one too...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2009, 08:28:17 pm »

Oh, yeah, right, actually doing that set, I will be getting onto that real soon...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:31 am »

I want to change the combat rules, but I don't know what to.

I would like all attacks and then all blocks to be simultaneous, to speed up the game.

I would like the biggest creature to fall to numbers, to stop someone getting a 6/6 and their opponent just giving up. Special counters can be nice, but I would really like to be able to overcome a slightly larger creature through brute force alone.

I would like some safety offered to vulnerable creatures without making them immune to attacks. At present one archer can destroy someone's economy.

I am also thinking of giving everyone one food every round, so as to prevent starvation as a result of cooking all your seeds.

So far I am thinking of the suggestion I made earlier of having a military, should there be a cost for entering or leaving the military?
I am tempted to take the easy route out and steal MTG's damage system, but I don't want to.

*Sighs* Too hazy to make any sense right now, but if anyone wants anything from the combat system or has any suggestions or just wants to tell me to enjoy what I already have, please don't hesitate to post about it.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:23 am »

I have idea! (bad one, but still something) EDIT: Sorry for the wall of suggestion text!

When you play a card, you decide if it's military or back row, and then some cost for changing places should be in place, or a special rule

I would like all attacks and then all blocks to be simultaneous, to speed up the game.

Maybe create "middle turns"
You declare attackers and end your turn.
You declare blockers at the beginning of the turn.
Combat is done in-between turns to put it that way.
Therefore only 2 posts are needed for a 2 player game turn. Yay!

I would like the biggest creature to fall to numbers, to stop someone getting a 6/6 and their opponent just giving up. Special counters can be nice, but I would really like to be able to overcome a slightly larger creature through brute force alone.

I have an idea that's so crazy it's weird. Create squads. Meaning cards can attack individually, or as a group. Balancing? Only cards with similar stats and similar abilities can form a squad formation.
(Adding that rule to Soldiers-only would be also okay).

Squad - creatures that are different in power and toughness not more than 1.
so:
Woodcutter 2/2
Axeman 2/2
Recruit 3/2
Miner 1/1 - big nono as he has 2 less power than recruit. And a (X) ability
Dwarf Marksman 2/1 - also illegal squad member as he has {Ranged} and others don't

As you can see 6/6 creatures are rare, and hard to collect over time insead of smaller creatures.
That way you can block 6/6's and kill them. AND "one blocker" kinda applies, as squads are treated
as one creature when attacking or blocking. So no surprise squads. When you attack, you know your opponent formed a squad. So no surprise gangbang blocks. Also no gigantic 6/6 squads, or squads thet are every single creature you have

I would like some safety offered to vulnerable creatures without making them immune to attacks. At present one archer can destroy someone's economy.

Military is a great idea. But as Toady said. No protection is foolproof in DF.
Maybe it should be that way.
Player 1 has 3 Goblin brutes and a siege archer in military.
Player 2 has a dwarf recruit and a squad of 2 Woodcutters (which are counted as 1 creature when attacking or blocking) in military

Player1 Is able to send one Brute and the siege archer directly at opponent fortress, just because he has more creatures in the military.
So the key here to attack protected units is outnumber the opponent.

I am also thinking of giving everyone one food every round, so as to prevent starvation as a result of cooking all your seeds.

The consequence of that should be the increase in costs of some cards. And a big deal right now is the depletion of your metal resource. That has to be dealt with.

So far I am thinking of the suggestion I made earlier of having a military, should there be a cost for entering or leaving the military?
I am tempted to take the easy route out and steal MTG's damage system, but I don't want to.

I thought earlier about making creatures heal only 1 damage a turn. About combat itself I'm not sure. Don't know really how to do that. Something that is inspired by DF for sure.
I also know that biomes just have to become more important, because they aren't enough now.

I think the combat isn't that bad itself. Just the blocking part. When you are pushed constantly then you have your ass beat up badly without even a chance to kill a single attacker with your blocker. That has to be fixed.
Also 10 FS is not enough. I'm thinking 20 or 30.
Right now a blocker can only kill the attacker if it has toughness bigger than attacker's attack.

I have an idea for combat system but it's crazy also.
So hear this:

Creatures here have a lot more attack than toughness right now, so I'm thinking
-You have your creatures yes?
-They have attack and toughness for example a 2/2 Woodcutter.
-I think that blows of creatures should happen at the same time. Or attacker first, blocker second
-But they should be dealt to opponents attack. Yes you read right! Attack!
-If all the attack is depleted then the blow lands on toughness.
-Attack damage heals immediately after combat, but damage heals 1 point at end of turn, or not at all!
-Blockers deal damage equal to their toughness if they survive the first blow.

ex. Combat:
a 2/2 creature(1) attacks and is blocked by 2/2 creature(2).
creature (2) has 0 attack left, and is dealt 0 damage
Attacking creature (1) is dealt 2 attack damage (0 left) and 0 normal damage.

ex. Combat2:
a 4/4 attacks and is blocked by 2/3
4/4 deals 2 attack damage to the 2/3.
2/3 has 0 attack left
4/4 deals remaining 2 points of damage to 2/3
2/3 has 1 health left.
2/3 deals 3 damage to 4/4
4/4 has 1 attack for rest of combat.

End turn: 2/3 heals 1 damage and has 1 damage left

In case of ranged creatures. Well, they don't receive damage from blockers unless they are ranged too. Constructions don't deal damage and don't heal. Unless otherwise noted.

I hope it's all understandable.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:24:11 am by Rooster »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:00 am »

When you play a card, you decide if it's military or back row, and then some cost for changing places should be in place, or a special rule
That makes sense, maybe you could make it so that they can only change after attacks are announced, so that, umm, stuff... Oh, right, so they can all be recruited at short notice to protect the fort but can't attack. But that is kind of tame.
 (x) in primary phase stops them from defending at short notice. While this is accurate to my experience of dwarves going to sleep as soon as they are drafted, it is kind of restricting.
 -1-0 until next turn? They are all angry about the draft so they misbehave and don't fight so well. If they are played directly into the military, or are soldiers, this doesn't apply because then they aren't civilians.
Maybe create "middle turns"
You declare attackers and end your turn.
You declare blockers at the beginning of the turn.
Combat is done in-between turns to put it that way.
Therefore only 2 posts are needed for a 2 player game turn. Yay!
I like that last part, but bear in mind that this tells the defender the card they will draw before they resolve combat. Maybe all cards should be drawn at the start of a round, that gives the starting player less advanced warning than everyone else.
I have an idea that's so crazy it's weird. Create squads. Meaning cards can attack individually, or as a group. Balancing? Only cards with similar stats and similar abilities can form a squad formation.
(Adding that rule to Soldiers-only would be also okay).

Squad - creatures that are different in power and toughness not more than 1.
so:
Woodcutter 2/2
Axeman 2/2
Recruit 3/2
Miner 1/1 - big nono as he has 2 less power than recruit. And a (X) ability
Dwarf Marksman 2/1 - also illegal squad member as he has {Ranged} and others don't
DF reference is good, and it does achieve the goal, but it sort of creates another one where you now have a 7/6, although if they took damage individually they could be crypted one by one. It would be easy enough to make your whole deck squadable, but that would detract from your versatility and should balance out somewhat...
Military is a great idea. But as Toady said. No protection is foolproof in DF.
Maybe it should be that way.
Player 1 has 3 Goblin brutes and a siege archer in military.
Player 2 has a dwarf recruit and a squad of 2 Woodcutters (which are counted as 1 creature when attacking or blocking) in military

Player1 Is able to send one Brute and the siege archer directly at opponent fortress, just because he has more creatures in the military.
So the key here to attack protected units is outnumber the opponent.
Does player 1 need to attack with all 4, or is outnumbering Player 2 enough and 2 of the brutes just sort of distract the two defenders?
But yes, outnumbering would seem to be the simplest way to adjudicate this matter.

The consequence of that should be the increase in costs of some cards. And a big deal right now is the depletion of your metal resource. That has to be dealt with.
Food production becomes devalued, farmers become cheaper, food devalues, people need to spend more food to get the same stuff, I hate capitalism... So basically, it sounds like a fine idea, but would require an overhaul of every creature in the game... I don't think this is so important right now, remembering not to cook all your seeds is an important skill...
I thought earlier about making creatures heal only 1 damage a turn.
That does sound DFish, I like it so far...
I also know that biomes just have to become more important, because they aren't enough now.
Hopefully that is just a matter of getting more creatures.
I think the combat isn't that bad itself. Just the blocking part. When you are pushed constantly then you have your ass beat up badly without even a chance to kill a single attacker with your blocker. That has to be fixed.
Also 10 FS is not enough. I'm thinking 20 or 30.
I have heard this alot, Games already seem to take a while but I must say I do have a taste for the epic, I will give 20 or 30 a try sometime.
-You have your creatures yes?
-They have attack and toughness for example a 2/2 Woodcutter.
-I think that blows of creatures should happen at the same time. Or attacker first, blocker second
-But they should be dealt to opponents attack. Yes you read right! Attack!
-If all the attack is depleted then the blow lands on toughness.
-Attack damage heals immediately after combat, but damage heals 1 point at end of turn, or not at all!
-Blockers deal damage equal to their toughness if they survive the first blow.

ex. Combat:
a 2/2 creature(1) attacks and is blocked by 2/2 creature(2).
creature (2) has 0 attack left, and is dealt 0 damage
Attacking creature (1) is dealt 2 attack damage (0 left) and 0 normal damage.

ex. Combat2:
a 4/4 attacks and is blocked by 2/3
4/4 deals 2 attack damage to the 2/3.
2/3 has 0 attack left
4/4 deals remaining 2 points of damage to 2/3
2/3 has 1 health left.
2/3 deals 3 damage to 4/4
4/4 has 1 attack for rest of combat.

End turn: 2/3 heals 1 damage and has 1 damage left
Could make attack too important.
Defender take damage equal to attacker attack, attacker takes damage equal to defender toughness.
Damage reduces attack then toughness once attack is depleted.
At beginning of turn all attack and 1 toughness are restored.
If attacker takes a pounding they will not want to defend.
Constructions don't deal damage and don't heal. Unless otherwise noted.
No healing could hurt, but they can be protected now, until tunnelling is implemented...
I hope it's all understandable.
And I hope I understood it all.
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2009, 10:27:12 am »

Actually my combat mechanic would make creatures more hard to kill.
But yeah.
Somehow a creature that has huge attack would be too good.
So I dunno. We'll work something out
You'll just have to decide something about combat.

DF reference is good, and it does achieve the goal, but it sort of creates another one where you now have a 7/6, although if they took damage individually they could be crypted one by one. It would be easy enough to make your whole deck squadable, but that would detract from your versatility and should balance out somewhat...

Maybe the solution would be to make squads only a certain portion of you military at maximum.
Like no more than 1/2 of military or 1/4th

Yeah, you pretty much understood my concept of combat.
I actually made that idea for roman emperors game :P

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2009, 05:06:05 pm »

For the one food/turn thing, how about make it so you get 1 (total) of any resource (other than gem, if that is implemented) per turn? That would help (a little) for players like me who got minimal resource production, but it wouldn't be overpowered.

Second, anybody have any idea how a "legendary" system could be implemented? I was thinking that it could be from an event or artifact, but could also be done after enough turns.

Oh yeah, new card, assuming squads are implemented:

[Dwarven Commander]+
(f)x3 (m)x2
{Dwarf}{Soldier}
(X): Give one squad a +1/0 token as long as that squad is active
3/2

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2009, 06:56:19 pm »

Where are the rules?

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

[Dwarven Commander]+
(f)x3 (m)x2
{Dwarf}{Soldier}
(X): Give one squad a +1/0 token as long as that squad is active
3/2

I'd change the bold text to "If Dwarven Commander joins a squad, put a +1/0 token on that squad.

EDIT:

Where are the rules?

First post, though the battles in RAM's thread have resulted in a few changes being made.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:58:58 pm by DaPatman »
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »

True. I was thinking originally that the DC would "Command and organize" the squad into being more effective, though I guess it would be better for being in a squad.

Alternate change: "Any squad Dwarven Commander is in has a +1/0 for every three members of the squad. Dwarven Commander may join any squad. There may only be one Dwarven Commander in a given squad at any given time."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2009, 04:35:26 am »

Read the First Post!

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2009, 08:09:16 am »

Well, I have 20 points, so let's grab a couple of boosters.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:01 pm »

I'll also take those 2 boosters please.  ;)

Org: I'll see if I can trade you after the results of the boosters are in.

RAM: Yeah, very good rules for now indeed. They just need some testing  ;)

DaPatman: Allow me to roll those booster results for RAM

Booster Results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:38:21 pm by Rooster »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:08 pm »

Still in need of stone and wood producers. My only non-food producer is an elf!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2009, 04:12:11 pm »

Sure, I'll trade you some as soon as my booster results are up.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24