Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF  (Read 20666 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2009, 09:02:30 pm »

I just had idea for a card:

[Gold-Paved Road]*
(s)x2 (m)x1 (w)x1 (f)x2
{Construction}
(w/s)x1, discard a card: Add <1> FS and (m)x1 to your resources.
If you would pay a demand (m) counts as <2> and (w) counts as <0>

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »

I still want megaproject and artifact cards

First: Special resources and ores

Some cards, could produce a special resource. while not as practical, they could be used in some more powerful cards. Ores would be a normal resource, but a bit more unique.

Miner is able to produce Ore instead of stone every third turn.
Ore could be processed into metal by (X) ing a unit and paying 2 wood or having magma available. Furnace worker would be edited.

Special resources:
Deep Ore: This is a special Kind of Ore. It can only be processed by having magma available with a special method, as part of an Artifact, or by a Legendary dwarf
Gemstone: This special Stone counts triple for meeting nobility mandates. It is a valuable part of many artifacts
Rare Metal: This metal is processed from Deep Ore. Currently, no use other than artifacts.

Megaprojects & Artifacts: I mentioned these earlier, I think. Unfortunately, the post is just beyond what I can see in the pre-post. I'll edit the quote in.

New mechanic: Creature rows, similar to the military mechanic posted in the RAM thread. These could be activated by some card. Creatures in the second row could not melee and could only be attacked if the front row is open. Changing row would (X) the creature, and some creature actions would only be available if the creature is in a certain row. Some creatures would be limited to a certain row. Basically, think of this as the "outside the fortress melee defenders" and the "inside the fortress other guys.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »

We so definitelly have to do something like this.

My thought of probable artifacts:

[Artifact event]
{Ongoing}{Unique} - only one a game
{Item} - Attach to a dwarf. It he dies, this card is destroyed
At any time you can pay any amount of resources, they don't have to be payed all at once and when playing this card
If a total of X wood Y stone and Z metal is acheived
this happens:
event

[Planepacked]
{Artifact event}{Unique}
{Item}
Artifact required resources:
(s)x20 (m)x5
When completed, this makes your FS <20>
(X),(w/s/m)x1: Add <5> FS
Your masons add <1> more FS per activation
If at any time you reach <100> FS you win the game

good?

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 04, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »

New mechanic: Creature rows, similar to the military mechanic posted in the RAM thread. These could be activated by some card. Creatures in the second row could not melee and could only be attacked if the front row is open. Changing row would (X) the creature, and some creature actions would only be available if the creature is in a certain row. Some creatures would be limited to a certain row. Basically, think of this as the "outside the fortress melee defenders" and the "inside the fortress other guys.

That reminds me of a card game I used to play called Creatures and Cultists. Each player had three rows of eight cultists, but only cultists in the frontmost surviving row of any player could attack or be targeted by attacks (barring certain special attack cards) (also, cutists couldn't move between rows). This system worked rather well, though it was really only secondary to the main goal of summoning the elder god your cult worshipped so it could devour all of humanity (I think it was made by the same guys who do Munchkin, which would explain the silliness of this objective).
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 04, 2009, 09:50:22 pm »

Two new card types: Artifacts and Megaprojects.

Artifacts: a dwarf is (X)ed for turns specified on the card. After that, the dwarf is -(X)ed, and the artifact can be used. At the beginning and end, costs are specified: food for the beinning, other for the end.
Two associated cards:
     Possesed Mood: On the next artifact you play this phase, you don't need to pay the food  requirement, and
     Fey Mood: The dwarf that is (X)ed for your next artifact produces one more of any resource it already produces as long as it is on the field

Megaprojects: similar to artifacts in that they are made over a course of time, however they are more powerful, are constructions, and and take many more resources.

Here we are.

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »

Since there's discussion in here of cards, and in particular... unique cards I'll comment on people's ideas... I kind of want to just post the majority of the cards I've been designing myself... but I dunno. I doubt anyone would be too interested, and there's a lot, since I wanted to do a whole themed expansion...

Since it seems so long, I'll just spoiler the majority post. It'll stretch way too much space otherwise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2009, 03:31:51 am »

Moods would probably be event cards that target a creature, they would have ongoing costs for the victim, with a high bonus to a recipient of their choice and the target of the event if the mood finishes, but if the mood fails the target dies and may take something else with them. Items could be a new type of card and artefacts could be items, or just more event cards. Making them structures would make them a bit to easy to destroy. Megaprojects could be structures that (x) themselves and a number of other creatures for a while and grant a bonus to your entire fortress.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2009, 05:13:23 am »

PrinyBaal: Thanks for the constructive criticism, I could use that.

RAM just made plausible artifacts that actually make sense  ;D

Alternative resources?
you know how M:tG deal whith unexpected values?

Counters. Lots of them. And tokens too.

[Human Jeweler]
{Human}
(f)x3 (s)x1
(X),(s)x1: Place a gem counter aside on the game table. It is treated as a stone resource and when used to pay for demans it counts as <3>
0/1

EDIT: Had another idea!

[Iron Man]
(s)x3 {Underground}
{Beast-Man}
Butcher <0>
When Iron Man dies add (m)x2 to your resources
2/4
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:52:23 am by Rooster »

PrinnyBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2009, 06:10:53 am »

Hahaha. Actually, I designed... one moment.

[Ultra-Fearsome Wagon]*
(w) x3
{Beast} {Construction}
Butcher <3 Wood>
When [Ultra-Fearsome Wagon] is killed, the player who killed it recieves 3 (w).
If you have both this card and any card with "Traveller's" in it's name in your hand, you may immediately play both cards, and any 1 {Dwarf} card from your hand with a cost less than 3 to the field for free.
0/1

As a kind of joke. I wasn't sure whether to keep it or not. It's sort of silly, but if you know what it's referring to, you probably understand why I kind of wanted to keep it. It's a weird type combination though, having both a creature type, and being a construction.
I hope someone may note the type I so enjoy, the style I love to play via by my more subtle ploy...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2009, 06:54:27 am »

I have no problem with joke cards and I don't think that DF does either.

I should really get to work on a starter set, Try to keep it simple and base it off of a starting fortress, making it all dwarf would probably be practical...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2009, 07:16:16 am »

Having references mostly to the 2d version of the game would be cool too

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2009, 02:16:56 pm »

Had another idea!

[Goblin Looter]+
(f)x4
{Goblin}
If a non-goblin dies, then add (w/s/m)x1 to your resources, but only if this resource was used to pay for the creature's cost.
2/2

[Home Caravan]
(f)x2 (w)x1 (s)x1 (m)x1
{Event}
Add (w/s/m)x2 to your resources.
Draw a card

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »

Basically, Ore is to make a viable metal production without the Furnace Worker.

Deep Ore/Rare Metal are special, and:
Deep Ore would be converted into Rare Metal instead of normal
Rare Metal would have an effect if used instead of normal metal in item production
Rare Metal would be required in some instances

Legendary is a trait that makes the unit produce one more of a resource when (X) ed to produce a resource. I haven't figured it out entirely, though. Some creatures would have {Legendary}, meaning that they act as though they have "Legendary" on them, but the bonus is incorporated into the stats.

Blacksmith would use either (Magma) or (w)x1 and an amount of metal (or Rare Metal) to produce a weapon or armor {Item}. Furnace workers would just be more efficient at converting ore into metal.

Artifacts would make a {Item} or {Construction} over time, making the dwarf (X) until its completion. Megaprojects would operate on a similar mechanic, but they would always produce a {Construction} and require both resources and labor: Labor would be added by (X)ing a dwarf, resources are self explanatory. The Fey and Possessed Mood event cards I suggested would make a dwarf Legendary (Add a "Legendary" token) and have some other effect (fewer turns, less resources? Something like that), respectively.

{Artifact}{Item} would have the effect "This card can only be equiped to {Military} creatures with either {Legendary} or a "Legendary" token."

A couple Artifact and Megaproject ideas:

Spoiler: Artifacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Megaprojects (click to show/hide)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2009, 05:33:09 am »

Dude.
Smiths already don't have to use (w). There's a magma furnance card for that.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2009, 02:19:41 pm »

Didn't realize: I hadn't actually read the card effects in quite a while.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24