Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF  (Read 20691 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2009, 11:26:14 am »

Um, do all creatures -(X) at the beginning of your next turn or at the end of your turn? Because this is really imperative to Kobold Blowgunner, who sucks if it's at the beginning.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2009, 11:51:24 am »

HEHE I'll play!
I LOVE this board! I come back from vacation and I see awesomness like this.
Also, you were faster than me. You created a Yu-gi-oh!/mtg crossover, and I am (still) doing that Roman Emperors ^^. The only reason your game was first is because I'm still doing all the pics :)
I LOVE your game rules and theme. This should be our main game (after DF)

5 boosters plx

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »

Another slight flaw in the game is the lack of (m) gathering you can do. Also, if you run out of (m), you can no longer MAKE (m) or (s).

For future players, you'll probably NEED to take the first set, just to be able to play. Also, having the Elf set isn't bad either.

Some cards simply have abilities that are too random, too costly, or not as useful to use.
A good example is Ambush Discovery, which lets you see a a card in your opponents hand. For a cost of 2 (f) and 2 (w). Even if the cost were reduced, it still isn't a great card. The cost would have to be zero in order for anyone to consider it.
Or Woodshaped Home, as you'll only have to repay the play cost each time. Sure, it might save you a card once in a while, but rarely.
Goblin Spire will never be able to be played, since that 10 (s) cost will hardly ever be reached. If it were +2/+2 or a lot less [5 (s), maybe], that'd be more fair. (Considering Sylvan Retreat gets a +1/+1 for Elves... for free!)
Upgrading a Woodcutter Dwarf to an Axe Dwarf seems a little useless, since the cost is equal and you can simply play an Axe Dwarf for the same cost.

I think Deadly Carp could be downed a little with no effect. Maybe have there be a Demand Cost or up the cost of it. Consider it alongside Mountain Goat (Or even better, GCS), which costs 1 (f) (5 (f)!) and its ability costs 2 (f) for only an (X) (And GCS is a RARE!)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2009, 01:43:55 pm »

Yeah, GCS should be a lot larger and have a cheaper effect. It should be 2/4, at least, possibly 3/4, and only cost a single (f) and (X) to activate. I also agree that the gobbo spire is overcosted and that the carp is undercosted.

Personally, I think you should flesh out kobolds before adding more races. Right now they're filler, but they could totally make the best thieving race. Thieves without tribute costs, mostly. Gobbos could have, say, child-snatcher abilities, which would just steal their creatures. Orcs would just be gobbos with lower metal costs, but kobolds could be more unique.

Here's a card I would add to a set in the future.
Ore Refinery (s)x3 (m)
{Construction}
(s)x2: Produce (m)

Note that there's no (X) cost, you can do this forever if you have enough stone.

Also, Sylvan Forest is ridiculously OP. In fact, elves in general are OP because of what the "ranged" keyword means. It's pretty much "(X):Kill an opponents creature if it's smaller" which they're almost certainly smaller, because of the elves being large in general along with Sylvan Forest and the other pump spells the elves get.

Question: Do you see the difference between Goblin Obsidian Spire and Sylvan Forest? Here's a hint, it's 10 stone.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2009, 02:16:00 pm »

I also have a suggestion:
Bring in ALL the proffesions. Even the most ridiculous cheese maker dwarf.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:22 pm »

Alrighty.  Got some more errata for the first set.
  • Deadly Carp now has a resource cost for its power, (f) x2, in addition to the (X) and is a 1/1.
  • GCS is now a 4/3.
  • Elf Ambusher is no longer a ranged attacker.
  • Bowsniper is now a 2/1 instead of a 3/1
  • Obsidian Tower now costs (s) x6 and grants +2/+1 instead of +1/+1.
  • Sylvan Forest now has an effect to make it less broken: Anytime you dicard a card from your hand you lose <1> fortress strength.  This way it is similar to Active Volcano in the sense that it'll probably do you quite a bit of harm.
  • Added a rule about ranged attackers being unable to attack buildings.
  • Added a rule allowing players to decline to pay Noble demands.
  • Clarified that cards -(X) at the beginning of your turn.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:40:08 pm by Taritus »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2009, 02:35:35 pm »

Alright, we'll see how that goes with playtesting. The new gobbo tower might need to have an extra stone cost, but like I said, I'd want to see what playtesting has to say.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2009, 03:02:04 pm »

Also, I think I may skimp on adding Orcs next set, and just flesh out Kobolds more.  I sent Frelock's draw to him so he can post his turn soon.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:18 pm »

Oh, also, why is Kobold Fungi Cultivator uncommon?

He is basically a Dwarf Herbalist, except he's a ,{Kobold}, which gives no boost to his abilities at this point.

The Elf Fruit Gatherer, though, I can agree to being 0/1, because he is an {Elf}.

Oh god! Elf Mountain Rambler?!? That's a pretty good card, considering he can get 2 (s), but has to have the Mountain Biome. I think it's fine for now... Wait, seems Goblin Tunneler does too, for being exactly like Dwarf Miner and Human Miner.

Elf Wind Archer shouldn't be an Upgrade for Elf Ambusher, seeing as how the Wind Archer costs less than the Ambusher.

I think there's too much of a material difference between the Human Steelsmith and Dwarf Weaponsmith, since the Steelsmith costs 2 more (m), and it's ability costs 3 (m) and 2 (w) more, for a 50% chance that you'll gain +1/+0 more than the other (Which is much less worth it considering the rarity of (m).)

Why is it that there are so many common jobs between races? I think there should be something to fix that are small difference between them.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:11 pm »

In any case, my second turn:

Beginning Phase:
Draw a card, grumble about how few biomes there are...

Primary Phase:
(X) [Elf Fruit Gatherer] 4f remains

Combat Phase:
Attack with [Elf Archer] (+1/+1), choose defender as [Dwarf Farmer]

Secondary Phase:
Play [Elf Liaison] 1f remains

End Phase:
2 cards remain in hand

Cards in play:
[Elf Archer](+1/+1)(X)
[Elf Fruit Gatherer](X)
[Adult Elephant]
[Elf Liaison](X)

Resources remaining:
1f 0w 3s 3m
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »

For there to be good cards there have to be BAD cards

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »

For there to be good cards there have to be BAD cards
Yeah, but there is always a good use for bad cards.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2009, 04:03:06 pm »

OK here's my thoughts...

Deadly Carp. - Adjust, (X) (f) x2 : Send target (X)ed creature to its owner's crypt.
GCS - Adjust, (X) (f) x2 : (X) target creature. That Creature cannot -(X) at the beginning of the controller's next turn.
Giant Bat/Bat Man - Add, (Flying), Can only be Blocked/Attacked by creatures which are (Ranged).
Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog - Add, When attacking, if Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog is also attacking, Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog get +1/+2 until end of turn.
Naked Mole Dog/Mountain Goat - Add, Butcher <2>
Goblin Swordmaster - Adjust, Demand <2>

There are a couple more thoughts, but I gotta go the Work so will post them laters...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2009, 04:21:35 pm »

OK here's my thoughts...

Deadly Carp. - Adjust, (X) (f) x2 : Send target (X)ed creature to its owner's crypt.
GCS - Adjust, (X) (f) x2 : (X) target creature. That Creature cannot -(X) at the beginning of the controller's next turn.
Giant Bat/Bat Man - Add, (Flying), Can only be Blocked/Attacked by creatures which are (Ranged).
Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog - Add, When attacking, if Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog is also attacking, Goblin Beakdog Rider/Feral Beakdog get +1/+2 until end of turn.
Naked Mole Dog/Mountain Goat - Add, Butcher <2>
Goblin Swordmaster - Adjust, Demand <2>

There are a couple more thoughts, but I gotta go the Work so will post them laters...
Maybe having Feral Beakdog and Goblin Beakdog Rider both in play gives each a +1/+1 boost.

Also, all (X) target creature abilities pretty much mean they don't -(X) the next turn. I think that all -(X) should be at the END of the turn, to fix this.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:42 pm »

Yeah, I also think end of turn would be forum-wise
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24