Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: the most dwarven pelican the world has ever known.  (Read 6211 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: the most dwarven pelican the world has ever known.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:52 am »

@Rowan: Ha! fat chance.
Pigeon despite being called 'rats of the sky' are more like mice or rabits with wings.
Gulls are the true flying rats, in character agressive and mean, very opportunistic when it comes to food, living or dead. They hunt nests for eggs and young like rats and shred garbage bags like rats do too.
I symphatise though, in my city there are quite frequent (but shortwinded) efforts to get rid of our gull 'problem'. (the real problem being the antiquated garbage disposal system, politicians refuse to invest in... not sexy enough or something, hiring hawkers is much more spectacular.)
So to recoup: gulls are too good to be afraid of small finches, big birds of prey though are moderately effective. (not if there is a whole bunch of them though, I heard they can cooperate and gang up on a victim/aggressor)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 06:49:07 am »

What always confuses me is the comments on the video that talk about the pelican being a cannibal. Its not cannibalistic to eat something else from the same animal kingdom as you. Sheesh. That's like saying I'm a cannibal for eating beef (it's a mammal, right?). And this kind of confusion seems to be rampant, even among smart, educated people. I've had a lot of people say my parrot was cannibalistic for liking to eat chicken...

How people can fail such a basic definition baffles me.

Ironically, you got the definition of "kingdom" wrong. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:31 am »

As for the turtle, it looks like it might be a snapping turtle.

There are turtles that eat fish and some species are known to eat baby ducks. I may be thinking of snapping turtles there with the ducks though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 07:37:41 am »

Snapping turtles are insane. They have beaks that could probably chop off a finger, but I think they usually spring for fish?

Chickens like eating smaller birds too. Birds just like meat, period.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20:21 am »

Well, chickens will eat anything. They'll eat their own excrement if you dilute it with filler. They're feathered garbage disposals.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 08:37:22 am »

Carp eat ducklings, Pike will even bite of a child's little toe ... I was told, this may or may not be a marshland-myth.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 08:47:08 am »

But Pelicans are fish eaters! They don't eat BIRDS!

Ah, the uniquely human ability to deny the obvious... ;D

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 09:16:48 am »

Carp eat ducklings, Pike will even bite of a child's little toe ... I was told, this may or may not be a marshland-myth.

I'm sure the pike one is at least partly true. I remember reading a news-story about a guy getting bitten by a pike.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 10:15:26 am »

Snapping turtles are insane. They have beaks that could probably chop off a finger,

good times, gooood times.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 11:16:51 am »

What always confuses me is the comments on the video that talk about the pelican being a cannibal. Its not cannibalistic to eat something else from the same animal kingdom as you. Sheesh. That's like saying I'm a cannibal for eating beef (it's a mammal, right?). And this kind of confusion seems to be rampant, even among smart, educated people. I've had a lot of people say my parrot was cannibalistic for liking to eat chicken...

How people can fail such a basic definition baffles me.

Ironically, you got the definition of "kingdom" wrong. :P

Hehe. You're right, I meant class not kingdom. Bah.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 01:41:07 pm »

So, essentially, to sum up, in all honesty, taking all factors into consideration, herbivore is just a fancy way of saying "eats veg because there's no meat about".
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »

So, essentially, to sum up, in all honesty, taking all factors into consideration, herbivore is just a fancy way of saying "eats veg because there's no meat about".
nah, herbivore means they eat veggies because veggies are more common.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:10 pm »

umm. how is that different, barring a slight amount of available meat?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 04:08:37 pm »

People are really, really, really, really, really stupid. Or suffering from temporary braincramp. Everyone gets it occasionally (I once invented electricity. I'm such a retard). The people who aren't smart are included in the opening statement...

You realize these are youtube comments, right? There's nowhere worse to go if you want intelligent discourse.

Not quite.
http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

For discourse, the worst parts of the web are the places people go to specifically to avoid things that disagree with them.

Wait wait wait wait.

I always just ASSUMED that was a joke site.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »

Wow. I just checked it out, and while it may not be a joke site, I'm sure going to get a laugh out of it. I haven't even finished the front page and my lady is already looking at me weirdly..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4