Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make glass blocks from raw glass.  (Read 7184 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make glass blocks from raw glass.
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »

Because it's very frustrating when you use up most of your wood to find out you made a few hundred gems.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Make glass blocks from raw glass.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:30:32 pm »

Glass can't be easily reshaped. The sort of situation you describe is something that should only happen to you once, anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:37:06 pm »

But it could be remelted. Also, you could be able to recycle glass furniture.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »

Considering that glass is infinite if you have sand, recycling pre-existing glass stuff seems like a waste.  Besides, raw glass is very useful.  Raw glass and blocks are the best ways to train glassmakers.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:12:36 pm »

I think the OP is bemoaning the loss of charcoal. Either that or it was clear glass...

Anyway, I don't think a reworking of the glassmaking system is needed. Chalk it up to experience and move on, or hijack an existing smelter reaction to turn the rough glass into blocks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 03:44:40 am »

I thought your problem was a lack of wood.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:24:11 am »

you can melt glass and reshape it. I know we did in high school.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »

Glass can't be easily reshaped. The sort of situation you describe is something that should only happen to you once, anyway.
Yes, it can be.  If you were dealing with modern glass you'd lose some quality, but Dwarf Fortress green glass is not going to lose a meaningful amount.

In the ancient world, the fact that glass could be easily melted down and reshaped was a major part of the glass industry -- in Rome, for instance, most of the empire's glass was made in a few centralized locations, formed into large blocks, then sent out to be melted and reshaped elsewhere.  There were also people who would collect broken glass objects and 'recycle' them by melting them down and remaking them (and we still do that today.)

Glass is one of the easiest materials to recycle, and with very little loss of material.  You couldn't do it with, say, a high-quality modern glass window, say (not if you want to end up with something equally high quality), but with glass bottles, or a lump of raw glass, or a big solid block of glass?  Sure.

But more importantly, I mentioned elsewhere that you ought to be able to order glass blocks from merchants, then melt them down and turn them into whatever you want; this would let you craft glass on a map with no sand.  Historically, that is actually how glass-crafting worked for much of history (whereas importing sand didn't generally happen at all.)  In fact, this malleable nature is part of what made glass so useful to the ancient world -- they used opaque glass the same way we use plastic today.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:59:07 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »

With ceramics, it's much the same story: pottery production was quite centralized in the Roman Empire, to the extent that after the disintegration of the Empire it took centuries for local producers to reach set up a substitution industry that reached a comparable quality.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 06:45:10 pm »

What exactly did the ceramics camps haul out? Raw clay?
I guess sand importation is pointless if we have an actual historical precedent

Making glass items that don't require shaping like raw glass gems and these large material blocks probably shouldn't grant XP

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:29:04 am »

Does it really matter though? Sand is an infinite resource. And if you're going to melt down one glass item and turn it into another, you're going to use fuel anyways.

Might as well just make the new item from scratch and chuck the unneeded items into the chasm.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:05 am »

The difference comes into play on maps where you don't have sand. Prior arguments have been that you should be able to import sandbags, but it'd make more historical sense to import glass blocks, or raw glass, or some other bulky glass item, then remelt it and form it into whatever it is you actually want. Of course, this would require letting you melt down sand items.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 12:52:54 am »

I think the OP is bemoaning the loss of charcoal. Either that or it was clear glass...

Anyway, I don't think a reworking of the glassmaking system is needed. Chalk it up to experience and move on, or hijack an existing smelter reaction to turn the rough glass into blocks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought your problem was a lack of wood.

It was clear glass. I had magma.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 04:53:15 am »

I like the idea of melting down glass to be reshaped, just like metal.

Of course, this means that there has to be a form of "unprocessed" glass other than sand in order to simplify matters. Using blocks would probably be a good idea.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:18:05 am »

What exactly did the ceramics camps haul out? Raw clay?

Terra sigillata and such, all kinds of pottery, exported throughout the empire.

Does it really matter though? Sand is an infinite resource. And if you're going to melt down one glass item and turn it into another, you're going to use fuel anyways.

Might as well just make the new item from scratch and chuck the unneeded items into the chasm.

Glass recycling uses less energy than manufacturing glass from sand, lime and soda.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: [1] 2