Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Zero-Player Games  (Read 17887 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zero-Player Games
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 08:05:43 am »

My best bet would be a scrimsh game with AI players in games like "Submarine Titans", "Act of War"... or spectating a game on the "spring engine" like NOTA, CA or other mod (not exacly 0 player but you don't have to do a thing AND you can make your own games and unleash AIs on each other).

Other RTS games might work too but they might lack of a way of spectating bot matches.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 05:08:40 pm »

back on the first page, someone mentioned a randomly generated book, essentially. It's actually already been thought of before, too (and probably by people before Yahtzee) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9669-Why-Randomly-Generated-Content-Sucks (the generating story part is close to the bottom of the first page, and most of the last)
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 02:28:43 am »

It can be done right, e.g. Dwarf Fortress, if generated with a context. TV Tropes' plot generator is actually decent.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 02:33:30 am »

It can be done right, e.g. Dwarf Fortress, if generated with a context. TV Tropes' plot generator is actually decent.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't do it right juuust yet. You just really like Dwarf Fortress and are letting it color your oppinion. (wow that sounds bad when I wrote it...)

It has a bit to go before it truely enters "Good randomly generated". It will be mind you, unless something terrible happens, but I think saying it is there already sort of blurs what is and what has yet to be.

Also I didn't know Yatzee wrote that until I started reading it. Oddly enough his style does not serve the pen as well as his speaking voice. As that article was confused as to what it was really trying to say, almost like he was writing an episode on Diablo 3 and that was what was left on the cutting room floor. But then he said "Lets use it anyway".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:47:57 am by Neonivek »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26:39 am »

Distant Worlds and Hearts of Iron 3 let you automate nearly everything, there's only the occasional popup you'll have to deal with. They don't really have stories, but for a thread from 2009 I don't think that part of the request is required anymore. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 11:19:17 am »

In HOI3 you can change the settings to either turn off all (or very nearly all) the popups.

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned the roguelike zpg: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Zero-Player_Game and of course the old http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rog-O-Matic

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »

Also I didn't know Yatzee wrote that until I started reading it. Oddly enough his style does not serve the pen as well as his speaking voice. As that article was confused as to what it was really trying to say, almost like he was writing an episode on Diablo 3 and that was what was left on the cutting room floor. But then he said "Lets use it anyway".
yeah, his articles tend to be a bit more tame, and tie in with the video of the week (Diablo 3 in this case) so that might why it was a little bit scrambled.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »

I think perhaps some evolution simulators and 'games' and whatnot are what OP meant. Where you set up an ecosystem and it just runs itself.
Googrid was like that. You made and interacted with species. But for the most part they did their own stuff. Sometimes people would send super critters your way.
Then you busted out the fly swatter.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:19 pm »

It sounds basically like watching simulators.

I wonder if someone made a super complex DF map, how long could it run for unattended and exposed to both the surface and the underground?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 10:00:04 pm »

GOOGRID

I loved that damn game! :D

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 12:13:44 am »

4 minutes and 33 seconds of uniqueness is a zero player game
http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/games/4mins33secs

But for me it has gameplay. There was this one time where I wanted to win this "thing" and I refused to give up, but someone else also didn't refuse to step down. It ended in a battle of wits for about 10 minutes before I finally won the "game"

(the rules are explained in the link, so you will know what I'm talking about)

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:45 am »

And now there are at least 2 of us playing 4:33
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:21 am »

Godville?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:34 am »

Godville is pretty nice.

Damnit ninjas.
Well, it used to be pretty nice until my samsung galaxy mini decided that it wouldn't let me install anything anymore.
I'm too lazy for the browser version.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 [3]