Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zero-Player Games  (Read 17889 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Zero-Player Games
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 07:57:08 pm »

I am pretty sure there is some zero-player rpg with quite good graphics
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »

You could watch the news. Different stories every day.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

Nah, just the same stories with different NPCs and levels.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:18 pm »

The PSP Persona has a more or less automatic option for combat where it will automatically order all your units to attack with certain skills.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 01:05:49 am »

I think I have one.

The WTFRPG (WTF the name is, anyway?) that Sappho plays.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 01:27:31 am »

The WTFRPG (WTF the name is, anyway?) that Sappho plays.

Yeah, that one, I like that :P

I was thinking of making my own zero-player game after playing PQ, but was too lazy to design the storyline and stats and stuff. If you guys could bother with the annoying game design of one, I could probably make one with decent graphics :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 01:59:18 am »

I remember a game where you just bought equipment and stuff for your character, and then watched him do everything. I think it was called "NPC Quest"

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 02:02:07 am »

That game is still pretty manual.

You have to buy potions just about every time the character is done with the map.

WaKKO151

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 11:15:06 pm »

If you are serious about it i would create a Zero Player Game where you save some poor sap from death and send him back to the planet as your champion. He goes around doing quests and spreadign the word about you while trying to build a temple. Then he gets his own followers and they spread your word. This whole process would take a long time and the game world could be done so that its multiplayer. But you don't actually control your guy. You kinda just talk to him and try to help him along the way. You get some kind of power level kinda like mana, but think DBZ. It goes up when people pray to you or your followers perform some awesome feet. And its Maximum goes up by number of worshipers and quests completed etc...

You don't actually control the people of the world but you can talk to your Champion and influence the world by casting spells and stuff. But of course otehrs can also do so.

And because the game will run itself all youhave to do is do some monthly updates here and there to make sure there is new stuff for the people to do randomly and ways to influence the behavior. You don't even need graphics. At all. it could be run via browser like godville but be a bit more serious. The problem with Zero Player games is that you lose intrest because it s not you doing anything so you feel disconnected. The idea that you can subtly influence a little world thats running on its own and help create or destroy it is a great way to craw people in.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 11:26:37 pm »

This forum changes so little that, reading the first page of the thread, I had no reason to suspect it was from 2009. Scary.

But try not to necro.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 11:31:13 pm »

I didn't notice either until you mentioned it, ffs. But damn, that was a long-reach necro.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 11:42:15 pm »

Again, another argument about necroing... Personally, I'm for it.

On topic, there's one called Godville. Play it on the web or on a nifty android app. You're essentially the god that a character prays to. Character does its thing, and you can choose to vaguely interfere here or there in their life. VERY vaguely.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 11:52:43 pm »

I suppose stuff like Paradox's Grand Strategy games like Europa Univeralis and Crusader Kings could be a good bet. It's always fun to play a little country out of the way and just let the AI do it's own thing. Sometimes it's fun to try and piece together what has happened like the Papal States being reduced to a single province, Mecca.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:11 am »

I remember playing Age of Kings with a pile of custom AIs and watching them duke it out. Unfortunately, even the best of AoK AI is extremely indecisive in attacks (pulling back/waiting when it could immediate win).

Oh, and there's Save Scummer, a roguelike in which the only thing you do is save scum for the AI.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:36 am »

Unfortunately, a lot of these zero player games have completely random content, so it's hard to get attached to the character or understand what he's doing. I wonder if you could plug some DF raws/data into a game, and generate a ZPG out of a DF world?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3