Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games for DOS thread!!!  (Read 6046 times)

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
Re: Games for DOS thread!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:37:05 am »

At this point the large majority of them are "free" in the sense of abandonware.

The same rules that apply to music and books applies to games. At least 50 year copyright on the games.

Unless the game has been released as freeware then officially none of them are free and abandonware is just a term to over come the guilt of pirating games which are no longer published. However technically where the game doesn't have a owner anymore to pursue copyright infringements then it can be considered "free" just because nobody will try and prosecute you.

There are plenty of old games out there which the copyrights are still being enforced by their copyright owners.

On the other hand abandonware does make for a good preservation of our gaming history.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 03:39:07 am »

Check top rated games on sites for abandonware for must play DOS. As in never do that. It's illegal to download them.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 04:41:58 am »

Not all of them are illegal. HOTU does some serious checks to whether a game is illegal, and removes the link if it is, so it's a good source.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 05:10:26 am »

Not all of them are illegal. HOTU does some serious checks to whether a game is illegal, and removes the link if it is, so it's a good source.
What they do is still "illegal" in the sense that it violates copyright of games no longer being sold, which is enforced by no one.

Personally, I don't give a damn about these faulty laws protecting the property of no one. And neither does anyone enough to enforce them unless they're paid to specifically do so (ESA).

And for the record, Abandonia keeps track of these things as well. Pretty much most abandonware sites keep track of game retail status to some extent, just that some do it more diligently than others. The ones that don't at all are pretty rare and most often non-English.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:05 pm »

I'd suggest the Ultima Collection, which is all the Ultima games from I to VIII, and Akalabeth, on CD. However, it'd be a bit difficult to find for a reasonable price. It's showing up as $108.99 on Amazon.

I've been playing Ultima VII lately (in dosbox, but there's also Exult as an alternative).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »

You are all awful people for downloading abandonware. Brood over the bottom line that for every abandonware you pirate, someone out in the left field has suffered a business casualty in a garage syndicate or on ebay.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »

www.abandonia.com

Easy ones for this are Stronghold (No, not the one by Firefly Studios, the one by Stormfront)

Any of the Sierra games

Games from SSI

There's no rational reason to enforce copyright on a work that isn't even being produced for commercial purposes, unless it's being re-released (Like Steam did with the X-COM series)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:34 pm »

So the question you have to ask yourself now is, is steam a boon or a bane for videogamers interested in DOS games?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »

I'd imagine everything on Steam is formatted to run on Vista...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 01:17:07 am »

Well I find Master of Magic fun from time to time, and I'm pretty sure that's "free" considering that Microprose is dead.  YMMV, of course.  It's known to be buggy, so you'd want the latest 1.31 patch.  Daggerfall is fun sometimes, too, and that's officially released free by Bethesda.  But we already have a thread for that somewhere...

I love me some Master of Magic, but I would not recommend the Impossible setting, it just multiplies the opponents economies with infinity (or 30000 gold & mana respectively, which is topped up every turn) and I still don't feel challenged by it. My dwarven armies were more or less unhindered as we claimed the Myrror realm.

Then some smart-alec PC decided to continuously spam Firestorm.
While this barely phased my giant adamantine plated siege golems, who kept trudging around the charred landscapes with fireballs bouncing off of their stylized metal beards, my steam cannons and meatier troops had to stay indoors. :/

I should pick that session up again some evening and see if I can't deploy a few "squads" of golems to shut that obnoxious wizard up.

But I also enjoy space and sci-fi themed games. Such as Fragile Allegiance, Ascendancy, Alien Legacy and Diggers, of course.*

*all fundamentally flawed in some aspect, but they're covered in a sheath of nostalgia so it slides. :3

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 01:35:54 am »

Street Rod 1.

Oh yeah, I loved that one. The only problem was that on my 286 it wouldn't run in VGA so I had to settle for CGA, with its lovely color palette consisting of white, cyan, magenta, and black.
Also, Alley Cat!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 02:26:47 am »

Sword of the Samurai.

It's an excellently, excellently done title you can get off of Abandonia. It's set in feudal japan - you're a lord with a small fief, and your goal is to work your way up to hatamoto of your province and then up to shogun (demi-emperor, the guy litterally directly below the emperor) of Japan. Things will not be easy - Japan is essentially in the middle of a civil war, with every province out for itself.

You have a lot of options to get yourself to the top - you can go on missions to gain honor by rescuing folks, killing bandits or helping your fellow samurai. You can sneak into your rival's home and steal heirloom swords or kill dignitaries to sabotage his reputation, kidnap members of his family, or simply try to kill him in his sleep. You'll need to sneak through his home and kill any guard who sees you, while trying not to raise the alarm. If the alarm is raised, not only will all the guards come after you - your target will be awakened, and you'll be in for a swordfight when you finally do find him.

The swordfighting is one of the major components of the game and is very, very tense. It's difficult to get used to at first - you can move around the mat and swing center, off center or sideways at your opponent and parry in three directions, as well as pull your sword back hard for a massive blow that might leave you vulnerable. Four sword strokes and you're doomed, but so is your opponent. I would suggest reading the manual however as the swordfighting can be complex for a newbie. (Also, one of the major stumbling blocks for me was the fact that the sound effects don't seem to differ when you select the Roland MIDI board, which sounds the best, when you're swinging at air versus your opponent. Make sure you're right in front of your opponent or you'll just be slashing wildly at air.) In the end, the swordfighting component of the game is difficult but very, very rewarding. When you see your opponent fall, you just feel a rush of adrenaline and go "YEAAAAAAAH!!"

The next game component is the melee, where you're in a top down viewpoint fighting a large number of lesser samurai or bandits on your own - the classic samurai movie image of a great samurai cleaving through dozens of lesser opponents - fighting swordsmen, spearmen (who are a real bitch if you can't get close enough to them - they have a longer reach than your sword does, but if you get in past their defenses they'll need to keep backing up to hit you) and archers. Oh, and you, true to history, have a bow you can use to shoot them as they close, but seeing as you're a swordsman and not a bowman, you might just graze them instead of killing them. The enemies are quite smart, and get smarter as you go higher in difficulty, taking long and indirect paths to stay out of range of your bow and attack from different angles to you to try tooutwit you. One hit will wound you and slow you down - two, and you're history. Be swift, be aggressive, and above all, don't get killed.

The final one is battle, where you're controlling all of your samurai on a large open battlefield as a general. These are decisive affairs where you don't really have a huge stake in what happens - you can control where your troops are, but most of it is down to your troops to do the fighting. (Make sure you drill them lots at home so they won't break and flee easily and can fight better. Training makes all the difference.) Battles aren't that common, but you can attack a rival's lands if they have provoked you enough, go into another province to take some land from your province's enemies, or head to your lord's castle with your troops in tow to answer the call to arms when he has a mission available to capture a fortress/destroy an invasion force/kill a bunch of uppity monks. These missions can be difficult, especially if you don't have a lot of men, but if you win, you'll gain more valuable rice growing land, allowing you to get even more samurai under your control.

In the end: Sword of the Samurai is one of my most favorite dos games, EVER. It never gets old.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:28:57 am by Jetman123 »
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:49 am »

I play these on DosBox...

Master of Magic
Prince of Persia 1
D/Generation
Golden Axe
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 (KOEI)
Bandit Kings of Ancient China (KOEI)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:12 pm »

I've been trying to play Sword of the Samurai, but when it gets to choose graphics (in dos box) there's no visibale options and pressing their keys does nothing.

Out of dosbox, I can see all the options and the menu proceeds when I select them, but after I select sound it says "fullscreen not supported" and closes the program...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 02:33:12 pm »

Are you running samurai.com instead of samurai.exe? Try that. Use dosbox - Windows Vista doesn't support fullscreen dos apps anymore.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3