Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games for DOS thread!!!  (Read 6039 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Games for DOS thread!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 02:52:13 pm »

I played zork, TIM, and scorched earth.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »

I was running Samurai.com- but I can't find samurai.exe  ???
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 04:11:07 pm »

I may be mistaken about there being an .exe file.

In any case, are you sure you're hitting a number when the selection prompt comes up and not trying to click on anything? Are you making sure you're in window focus? If you are,try hitting alt+enter to put dosbox into fullscreen mode, and then hit it again to bring it out. That may help.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:00 am »

I made the .com work in dosbox with the alt-enter trick.

BTW, highly reccomended to most.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 04:48:44 am »

Glad to hear it worked. And yeah, it's really well done - you can tell they spent a lot of time bugfixing and working on the AI. Ahhh, good old DOS - back from the days where companies generally didn't release games half-finished...
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »

Sword of the samurai is an excellent game. Same with Masters of Orion, X-com, Populous, Dune 2, and a surprisingly fun arcade game called Rampart.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 06:40:10 pm »

Masters of Orion is the only DOS game I have and play a lot. I have it on cd though which I bought off ebay. I really need to get x-com off steam. X-com was released the year I was born and I only heard about it when I joined Bay12. I missed out.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »

Ohhh alley cat. I used play that years ago on my old 486. I remember playing Rick Dangerous, Commender Keen and Dangerous Dave around the same time.

Now can I find my copies of those?
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 09:24:04 pm »

Anyone who liked Sword of the Samurai has a good chance of liking Covert Action. They're somewhat similar, both being a sort of collection of subgames of different genres. That and both being from Microprose and released around the same time.

And now for something obscure: Millennia: Altered Destinies. A game of the now dead Strategy/Adventure genre.

So what's it about? Mostly time travel. Your objective is to populate an empty galaxy with 4 sentient races and track and alter their technological progress through 10000 years. Ultimately, these races will have to face a common alien enemy and it's your job to make sure they're ready for it and that they can eventually supply you with technology for your ship.

Your ship's most prominent feature is the ability to travel through time, at least 100 years at a time. You can also always view the race homeworld timelines, showing you what sort of events will occur in time. And you, of course, are to move back and forth through time and attempt to alter these events so that these races survive and prosper. And they will need help surviving.

The races are sort of anthropomorphic caricatures. There's the war-loving lizards, the fanatically religious polar bears, the hivemind insectoids and the consumerist fishpeople. They're all utterly stupid and are guaranteed to drive themselves (and possibly each other) into extinction without your guidance.

Upon seeding these races, you also sent down immortal variants of them to act as your ambassadors. You'll mostly be interacting with the race through them, via dialogues. They do not, however, consider you God, nor omnipotent. They mostly turn to you when they have problems and it's convenient that you instruct them on what to do and eventually they may resist your advice and face annihilation unless you're persuasive enough. This mostly means having to go through the same dialogue tree till you get it right (you can control time, after all), but some of the dialogues are pretty amusing. And you should throw out all your modern sensibilities out the window when dealing with them. Most races will not prosper under our idea of the ideal political system (democracy), that'll downright lead them to failure. You need to consider their tendencies and make sure your advice doesn't conflict with them, but you cannot let them overdo it (nuclear war is not good, even for the lizard people).

Your own ship doesn't require much. You need only to make fly-bys near gas giants to refuel and repairs are done automatically. You can try to fight the enemy in space, but this just leads to a dull point and click battle and, from my experience, all this does is divert the invasion to a different star system, so your success relies on how the races evolve. Each of the races will eventually be able to supply your ship with some unique technology. The combination of these will allow you to return to your own galaxy (the real ultimate goal). You will also find out that you're not the only one travelling through time.

It's worth noting that this game is hard. I never played it effectively enough to even have a single race become space-faring before the invasion came. And there's no walkthrough out there whatsoever. However, the game is worth checking out if only for the concept of freely travelling through time and altering it to achieve a greater goal.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 11:24:15 pm »

And now for something obscure: Millennia: Altered Destinies. A game of the now dead Strategy/Adventure genre.

So what's it about? Mostly time travel. Your objective is to populate an empty galaxy with 4 sentient races and track and alter their technological progress through 10000 years. Ultimately, these races will have to face a common alien enemy and it's your job to make sure they're ready for it and that they can eventually supply you with technology for your ship.

Your ship's most prominent feature is the ability to travel through time, at least 100 years at a time. You can also always view the race homeworld timelines, showing you what sort of events will occur in time. And you, of course, are to move back and forth through time and attempt to alter these events so that these races survive and prosper. And they will need help surviving.

The races are sort of anthropomorphic caricatures. There's the war-loving lizards, the fanatically religious polar bears, the hivemind insectoids and the consumerist fishpeople. They're all utterly stupid and are guaranteed to drive themselves (and possibly each other) into extinction without your guidance.

Upon seeding these races, you also sent down immortal variants of them to act as your ambassadors. You'll mostly be interacting with the race through them, via dialogues. They do not, however, consider you God, nor omnipotent. They mostly turn to you when they have problems and it's convenient that you instruct them on what to do and eventually they may resist your advice and face annihilation unless you're persuasive enough. This mostly means having to go through the same dialogue tree till you get it right (you can control time, after all), but some of the dialogues are pretty amusing. And you should throw out all your modern sensibilities out the window when dealing with them. Most races will not prosper under our idea of the ideal political system (democracy), that'll downright lead them to failure. You need to consider their tendencies and make sure your advice doesn't conflict with them, but you cannot let them overdo it (nuclear war is not good, even for the lizard people).

Your own ship doesn't require much. You need only to make fly-bys near gas giants to refuel and repairs are done automatically. You can try to fight the enemy in space, but this just leads to a dull point and click battle and, from my experience, all this does is divert the invasion to a different star system, so your success relies on how the races evolve. Each of the races will eventually be able to supply your ship with some unique technology. The combination of these will allow you to return to your own galaxy (the real ultimate goal). You will also find out that you're not the only one travelling through time.

It's worth noting that this game is hard. I never played it effectively enough to even have a single race become space-faring before the invasion came. And there's no walkthrough out there whatsoever. However, the game is worth checking out if only for the concept of freely travelling through time and altering it to achieve a greater goal.

YES THAT GAME. That is one of my favorite games ever, but I lost it when I moved houses  :'(

I've been looking everywhere for that game again. I avoid all internet transactions, though, so I can't get it yet. I seriously love that game. I can barely even find words to describe what was fun about it. I want to download it. I owned the original game when I was a kid, it made me respect Take 2, but it's gone now :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:59 am »

Oh man, I was totally reminded of TIE Fighter today..still one of my all time favorites. Rumor has it that at very least LucasArts are going to rerelease it via Steam like they did their other stuff (hopefully the 1995 CD edition), but they were vague enough that one could hope the series is being revived..I can dream can't I? They do have a new, more past-minded president after all..

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 06:09:52 am »

YES THAT GAME. That is one of my favorite games ever, but I lost it when I moved houses  :'(

I've been looking everywhere for that game again. I avoid all internet transactions, though, so I can't get it yet. I seriously love that game. I can barely even find words to describe what was fun about it. I want to download it. I owned the original game when I was a kid, it made me respect Take 2, but it's gone now :(
Well, there's always old-games.ru.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:46 am »

There's also Doperoms. Despite being a site about ROMs, they also have an abundance of DOS games. Including "Millenia".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:24 am »

A game of the now dead Strategy/Adventure genre.

Speaking of those, Dune was also excellent and relatively faithful to the source material.
Pages: 1 2 [3]