Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any remedies for ultra-slow caravan wagons?......  (Read 891 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any remedies for ultra-slow caravan wagons?......
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »

Maybe this goes in the DF questions section, but it's also partially a gripe off.

Basically, I'm tired of the turtle slow wagons (dwarven civ) showing up alot in this particular fort, so, any remedies for it? Besides magma....

I occasionally get the super slow wagons, but with this fortress, it's happening more than typical for some reason.....

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Any remedies for ultra-slow caravan wagons?......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:23:28 pm »

I'm sure it's got to do with the civ sending the wagons. Maybe their wagons are being pulled by cats or something retarded? I think it's been asserted that weight doesn't affect caravan speed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »

lol!

It was bieng pulled by horses and it's carrying alot of wood, but if you say the weight doesn't affect the speed....

I'm making a project of smoothing a large area to get rid of the boulders, etc, trying to get rid of the boulders as a possible pathing issue.

I may smooth the entire damn embark area if I have to......... :P

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:14 pm »

lol!

It was bieng pulled by horses and it's carrying alot of wood, but if you say the weight doesn't affect the speed....

I'm making a project of smoothing a large area to get rid of the boulders, etc, trying to get rid of the boulders as a possible pathing issue.

I may smooth the entire damn embark area if I have to......... :P

Won't help.

My Westlash fortress has the same problem. The wagons enter on a smooth block road and never leave it and it gets the slow wagon all the time - just one of them. No damage to the wagon, no injuries to the animals or the driver - it's just slow.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:51:40 am »

Its not fun when it had ordered practially everything on the list  :(

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:26:47 am »

Do wagons get injured in worldgen...?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:21:03 am »

Do wagons get injured in worldgen...?

They might, but they don't appear to be injured when they arrive.

And the upshot is that I've never had a caravan leave before that last wagon unloaded. It might only be unloaded for a moment, but I've always had a trade opportunity if I was sitting there waiting and acted quickly enough.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:29 am »

Put your Depot on the edge of the map with only one way in so the wagons are forced to spawn only a few tiles away?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »

Oh look an entire goblin siege.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:43 pm »

Oh look an entire goblin siege.

Well, if you do it right, that's not a problem.

Basically you want to put the depot in an airlock between the map edge and the fortress. Traders always path to the depot but invaders path to your interior meeting area. You want to give them two entirely different paths.

Now, it won't stop invaders that are close to the traders (I suspect they chase anyone in their embark tile) but it also means that ambushers won't necessarily spawn near the depot.

If you put the depot maybe 40 tiles from the edge of the map at the end of an enclosed, 3-wide corridor with no 3-wide approaches to it other than the edge of the map at the end of the corridor (you can channel down 1 tile from the edge to block passage) then caravans will always show up right at the edge. And the depot isn't so close to the edge that a much of ranged units will appear and start wiping out your haulers.

If you keep the trade depot cut off from your fortress by bridge at season change, invaders will never path down the corridor. When traders arrive, they can still get to where they want. When they arrive at the depot, cut the traders off from the map edge with another bridge and then open access to the fort. Still, invaders will never path near the depot. When it's time for the traders to leave, cut off access to the fortress, open access to the map edge, and away they go.